Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Homework pass question?

My daughter used a homework pass last week and received a zero as a grade which brought her average down. The teacher noted that a HW pass was used also. Surely this is not right?!? I’m already angry at this teacher so wondering how to approach this appropriately.

Your DD needs to remind the teacher that she used a homework pass for that particular assignment. I would suggest via email first to have a trail of communication. Hopefully it was an oversight on the teacher's part.

At that age, I ask my kids to advocate for themselves twice before I get involved so I wouldn't do anything unless the teacher didn't respond to DD after two attempts.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    My daughter used a homework pass last week and received a zero as a grade which brought her average down. The teacher noted that a HW pass was used also. Surely this is not right?!? I’m already angry at this teacher so wondering how to approach this appropriately.
    If I recall your girls are in 8th grade? You shouldn't approach this. You should let them talk to the teacher and ask what happened.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    If I recall your girls are in 8th grade? You shouldn't approach this. You should let them talk to the teacher and ask what happened.
    I was trying to figure out how a HW pass should work. Do you remove the line in the gradebook, does it go in as a 100 or what?

I was trying to figure out how a HW pass should work. Do you remove the line in the gradebook, does it go in as a 100 or what?
    I'm sure it depends on the teacher, but usually it means no penalty for not doing the assignment, however that works out in their grading system. HW is a completion grade for my kids so it would be a 100.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

It probably depends on the teacher. I would still ask your DD to ask the teacher herself.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would guess that varies by teacher. Just have her send the teacher an email asking that, as she noticed her grade went down when the zero was put in. Maybe she meant to put in a 100 and didn't. Or maybe she takes that zero out at the end of the semester which is why she noted a pass was used. It's hard to know.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have dd ask when the pass was used, per the grade book and then see if she can prove she didn’t use it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are you looking at the online grading? It could be the system does not allow for the teacher to easily adjust. I would wait a week to see if anything changes the email the teacher. They might need to do a work around they haven’t gotten to yet.

For what it’s worth I firmly believe these online grading things are more of a curse and a benefit for everyone involved.