Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I didn't comment initially because we live in a bubble and almost everyone I know who can has gotten the vaccine, but personally I agree with the article. In this particular case in a global pandemic where we are all trying to navigate this, surely it's ok to ask. Anyway, my two cents..

My question is should we allow unvaccinated people to come over (we are all vaccinated but a couple of family members are hesitant as their religious leader told them not to get it.. sigh). They will be visiting our area this summer and I wasn't sure how to handle it. I guess it's more of a risk for them.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I volunteer the info and see what the response is. We are in healthcare so I have no problem asking. But most everyone I know is vaxed and I don't want to hang out with people who didn't get vaxed for weird political reasons.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I generally mention that I’m vaccinated and hope the other person offers up the info.

DD (15) knows she’s only allows to get close to other kids whose parents are vaccinated. (Her mental health was suffering so I started letting her spend time indoors with friends whose parents are vaccinated and who take precautions. She and her friends will all get vaccinated next week hopefully.). I know the vaccination status of all of my friends. I only have one who is unvaccinated, but she reacts horribly to most meds and one of her daughters started having seizures after her 12 year old vaccines. But her husband got it, and other daughter will get it once it’s available. She’s been super careful and totally believes in science, so I’m fine being around her outside unmasked 3 feet apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Honestly since this whole pandemic thing has me reevaluating a lot of my friendships and the people I want to hang out with are going to offer up the info. I will offer up info. So I’m not worried about small indoor gatherings, since it’s a short list. I’m not planning to have huge parties soon. I would assume if I went to a big gathering some people will not be vaccinated, like my eldest’s graduation. Mostly I just plan to keep embracing my new found introvert self. (It’s like I’m an awkward teen all over again.)

Of course it’s easy for me since the only one that won’t be fully vaccinated is my soon to be 15 yo, and hopefully he will be soon. Since he is an introvert he’s not bugging me to do stuff. My eldest is going off to college. Of things dramatically change with some variant not well covered I would reassess.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    . Of things dramatically change with some variant not well covered I would reassess.
    See, this is the thing. Once we are all vaccinated- adults and kids- and we get back to a more relaxed mode of life, will the variants upset that all again? Will we all have to begin distancing, wondering who’s had the boosters, is it safe to be around others? I’m willing to wait to have us all vaccinated but once we are, I’d really like to let my guard down once and for all. I’d really like these cloth masks to become a relic of the past.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

For my own socialization, people's pandemic precautions seems to have already filtered out the people who aren't likely to be vaccinated. Since we weren't doing indoor gatherings, I've only been hanging out with similarly-minded friends. They have all been vaccinated - it's part of our normal conversation. Their DHs are vaccinated.

The tricky stuff starts with kids wanting playdates and sleepovers outside our general family friend circle. We've allowed 2 of our kids to do some indoor socializing but we knew vax status of parents. I don't plan to ask outright but we will take our knowledge into consideration. We will vaccinate our kids as soon as we can and go from there. My thoughts on kids' socialization has shifted as the pandemic has gone on - losing a year of social development is huge on kids (1/9 of DD's life, 1/12 of DS2's, and 1/15th for DS1 vs 1/45th of mine). When I think about it in those terms, it's easier to view infection prevention as part of the equation rather than THE consideration.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In my experience so far, almost everyone is offering this up unasked. Like others have said, it just comes up because someone mentions that they are vaxed or talks about how they did with the second shot and then everyone chimes in. I've had several encounters where people say "I'm vaxed!!" when we greet each other and when I say I am too, we hug it out happily! We went to an outdoor BBQ with about 12 neighbors last weekend, our biggest gathering in a year plus, and within five minutes of arriving everyone had confirmed that they were fully vaxed (though a few weren't a full two weeks out from their second shot yet). We were outside and so it didn't really change anything we would have done, but I did sort of feel more relaxed about things. It was nice. My kids, who are teens, say their friends are almost all vaxed or vaxing (two of my three are done and my third begins next weekend pending 12+ approval).

It's also seems pretty clear around here that it will be required for school eventually. DD's college (private - in a different state) has already said it will be mandatory to attend on campus, no exceptions. Our high school (public) has already requested vaccine cards be submitted on a voluntary basis to eliminate quarantine and testing after travel requirements for vaxed students. I feel certain that once there is full FDA approval, it will become required the way other vaccines are required for school (with the exceptions for medical or religious reasons they already have for those). DS2's camp (out of state expedition camp) has strongly encouraged it and requested proof of vaccine if it is done (now that 12+ approval is likely next week, happily he should be all set). I just think in many states will be a matter of course and I won't ask as I have never asked anyone about chicken pox etc. I also think that since it will be required for travel to many places, that will eventually convince others who have waited to get it. We know that if we want to go to our house in Portugal, we will need it, which is pretty persuasive even if we hadn't already planned to get it.

I know there are other states that are handling things much differently and it will be interesting to see how this all plays out longer term. I'm going to be in MT most of the summer where the new governor has made it clear that vaccine "passports" cannot be required. I'll likely just continue to be outside and mask when I'm not able to be outdoors and see how things go. But I think ultimately we are headed in the direction of most people being vaxed as the studies/scientific evidence mounts and hopefully the politicization of the vaccine dies down.

I have one good friend (in FL) and one sibling (in MI) who say they refuse to get the vaccine. Not based on anything rational at all - just some notion of don't tell me what to do. Time will tell what they do . . .

This situation happened to me today. I was working at a swim meet, and one of the women I was working with closely (within 3 feet) asked me, “so have you been lucky enough to get a vaccine?” I almost started laughing because the pharmacies here are full of vaccines and anyone 16+ can get one same day. I told her that I got Pfizer the minute I was eligible and that I’ve always been a huge germaphobe. She was double masked, and then offered up that she got J&J. Once she learned I was vaccinated and took lots of covid precautions, she opened up about being annoyed with her daughter in law’s lax covid behavior

DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    This situation happened to me today. I was working at a swim meet, and one of the women I was working with closely (within 3 feet) asked me, “so have you been lucky enough to get a vaccine?” I almost started laughing because the pharmacies here are full of vaccines and anyone 16+ can get one same day. I told her that I got Pfizer the minute I was eligible and that I’ve always been a huge germaphobe. She was double masked, and then offered up that she got J&J. Once she learned I was vaccinated and took lots of covid precautions, she opened up about being annoyed with her daughter in law’s lax covid behavior

Oh, I like her phrasing, even if it was obviously a ruse.

To the PP commenting on new variants and getting back to normal. I just wish people could understand how import herd immunity is to belong to prevent this. It is numerically impossible now to hit herd immunity if you count the people who can’t get the vaccine, the kids that don’t have the vaccine and those saying they definitely won’t take the vaccine. We are going to have to get all school age children and all the “maybe” vaccine people vaccinated. So I’m not sure when, or if, that’s going to happen.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Would you ask others if they have been vaccinated?

This thread reminds me again of how much I appreciate the perspectives I see here, because my situation is so different. I live in a CCRC where over 99% of the residents have been vaccinated for several months and for the last month or two, most of us have stopped wearing masks while we are on campus here. (A high proportion of staff are also vaccinated but all staff are still masked to avoid singling out those who are not.) All visitors—regardless of vaccination status—are required to wear masks here.

My family by contrast has been extremely cautious throughout with limited interactions. It hadn’t occurred to me that they are now facing the challenges mentioned in this and other threads. Now that vaccines are available in their state for ages 16+, the "have you been vaccinated?" question will come up a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 05-09-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast