Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've found most people are really upfront about it, so I essentially know everyone has had their vax within our "group". Granted, a lot of healthcare field people who've been vaccinated for a while.

I would have no problem asking if it was important to the situation.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post

To the PP commenting on new variants and getting back to normal. I just wish people could understand how import herd immunity is to belong to prevent this. It is numerically impossible now to hit herd immunity if you count the people who can’t get the vaccine, the kids that don’t have the vaccine and those saying they definitely won’t take the vaccine. We are going to have to get all school age children and all the “maybe” vaccine people vaccinated. So I’m not sure when, or if, that’s going to happen.
    Not that I want people to get really sick and suffer but I have suspected for a long time that it require a first or second hand BAD experience with Covid for some people to get vaccinated. Dh and I went to dinner with some friends last night. We went to a restaurant that is doing a great job of distancing as well as seating people outside with heaters. These friends were the ones who were really concerned about us isolating Ds1 when he had mono. Last year when we returned from a vacation where we traveled by airplane, they didn’t want us coming back to school in case we were positive. They didn’t want us to spread it to their son or other kids.We were sure they’d been vaccinated. They said they don’t plan to be! They said they’d been fine so far and were just going to play it by ear. And yet, our boys’ BSA Troop Leader has Long Covid. So they have seen bad cases. They know the risks. They are just in denial that if will happen to them.

Eventually they (and everyone else who isn’t vaccinated) are going to catch some version of COVID. It’s highly contagious so they will likely get it even though they have lucked out so far. And when they do, it will probably be one of the more contagious variants (I thought I read the newer variants were crowding out the original version since they are much more contagious). And hopefully our friends’ experience will be enough to convince them that Covid is not something you leave to chance but won’t kill or disable them. It’s a big risk to take. Who know how long until they are convinced to get vaccinated.

It’s too bad that Covid isn’t like the chickenpox- get it once and be immune for most of the rest of your life.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-10-2021 at 01:40 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3