Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Anyone have experience with IF stop working?

I've been doing Intermittent Fasting since January 2020. My eating window is typically noon-6pm and fasting 6pm-12pm. When I first started in Jan 2020 I gained a few pounds before losing. I then held steady at the new weight until about December 2020. I've since gained back almost all the weight that I lost...about 7lbs. Nothing has changed in that span of time. Diet/eating habits are the same, exercise levels are the same (yoga M-F and run 4mi Sat and Sun). I've read blogs, and IF forums, and books, and podcasts and can't seem to find any info about IF not working/reversing after more than a year (lots on gaining before losing, but nothing on regaining after losing) and can't seem to find anything about constant morning hunger (again, find things about being hungry at first, but nothing about persistent hunger). I'm basically starving each morning by 9am. Sometimes I open my window at 11am. But basically spend 9am-11am/12noon thinking about how hungry I am. If I change my eating window I'd have to lengthen it to say 10am-6pm and not just shift it 10am-4pm, because we eat family dinner 7 nights a week and I won't give up eating dinner with DH and DDs. I don't find I'm starving at any other time of the day, just in the morning every.single.day.

I drink 1-2 cups of black coffee in the morning, eat lunch at 11am/12noon, have an afternoon snack, eat dinner between 5-6pm. No food or beverage other than water after 6pm. I exercise in the morning.

Jan 2020: 130lbs
    gained 2lbs on IF
    by June 2020 was 125lbs
    held at 125lb until Dec 2020
    currently weigh 130.

I don't avidly track calories or macros. I have plugged my daily food into MyFitnessPal a few times here and there and my calorie count is were it should be.

So, I'm STARVING (like ravenous!) every morning.
    I eat normal for lunch, snack, dinner and am not starving then.
    I exercise at least 30mins a day, 7 days a week.
    I haven't changed any of the above habits in the 17 months I've been doing IF.

Any IF'ers have any thoughts?
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don’t even track weight anymore but I focus more on how clothes fit. I have seen photos of a huge change in measurements with no change in weight, due to gaining muscle mass or whatever.
    Are your clothes tighter?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Never tried iF intentionally but that’s how I’ve always eaten.
    But, you sound like you’re in a fitness rut. Does your yoga include any free weights? If not, start incorporating some good strength training.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Some say mix it up occasionally. I find an occasional 20-24 hour fast helps me reset after a vacation or the holidays. I normally do anywhere from 16-18 hours most days but it varies. Some days it’s as little as 12 hours if I have stuff going on.
    Similarly, try mixing up your exercise routine. Good suggestion to add weights- I want to start that.
    Are you eating enough in your window? I don’t count calories but eat until I’m full. If you must weigh, do it at the same time. I can fluctuate a few pounds within a day due to water weight.
    I used to get tons of great ideas from the Delay don’t deny fb page (use the search) but now that I know what works I stopped looking there. I just searched for “hungry all morning” and a bunch of stuff popped up. You can troubleshoot there.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I guess I'd ask yourself, do you feel like your clothes fit better? Are you wanting a specific weight loss? If after a year you are the same weight (or within 5-7 lbs) and you've obviously kept to the IF windows, maybe it's just not going to work. Also, you should never be starving, that's not good.

Also, are you approaching menopause? Hormones can definitely play a role too.

I know IF doesn't work for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That sounds so frustrating! First off, could anything be breaking your fast in the morning and triggering the ravenous insulin response? Flavored coffee, vitamins, gum, flavored sparkling water, workout drinks, etc?

If you are certain your fast is clean you might consider shifting your window to earlier in the morning. I find I'm much hungrier the next day if I've eaten lots of carbs or had alcohol so that could be a factor. 18:6 seems to be the minimum for weight loss for some people so you might also try 19:5 or 20:4.

Any other health changes? Maybe time for a thyroid check?

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What are the benefits you’ve felt from IF? Honestly, the rigor that you are applying to your eating windows with no or little payoff sound miserable. I would be reflecting on why IF and re-evaluating if it was really the right fit for me.

The key is eating enough protein. it doesn’t sound right you’re starving every morning, I feel that some mornings but not every single day is key.

I would calculate your macros on the free macro calculator to check your numbers.I don’t religiously track cuz I honestly don’t have enough time, but do track my proteins to ensure I’m getting enough proteins in my eating windows. Also mix in resistance training in your work outs to mix things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Are you getting liquids and staying hydrated? I’ve read that the body can make you feel hungry when you just need liquids. Can you drink hot green tea in the morning during your fasting period? It really helps me stave off hunger.

I’m not doing IF but I am counting my calories. I’m allowed 1200 per day to lose weight. It’s working for me. But I’m also adding 3 cups of fresh fruits and vegetables every day to my protein. Raw fruits and veggies have a lot of fiber which takes your body longer to digest (and thus you are fuller longer). I’m also drinking a lot more tea which seems to be an appetite suppressant, and I’m getting more sleep.

Dieting is hard work. Good luck!
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-11-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Are you getting liquids and staying hydrated? I’ve read that the body can make you feel hungry when you just need liquids. Can you drink hot green tea in the morning during your fasting period? It really helps me stave off hunger.

I’m not doing IF but I am counting my calories. I’m allowed 1200 per day to lose weight. It’s working for me. But I’m also adding 3 cups of fresh fruits and vegetables every day to my protein. Raw fruits and veggies have a lot of fiber which takes your body longer to digest (and thus you are fuller longer). I’m also drinking a lot more tea which seems to be an appetite suppressant, and I’m getting more sleep.

Dieting is hard work. Good luck!
    I'm horrible at drinking water regularly and am trying to um my H2O intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I don’t even track weight anymore but I focus more on how clothes fit. I have seen photos of a huge change in measurements with no change in weight, due to gaining muscle mass or whatever.
    Are your clothes tighter?
    Yup, they are. I'm only 5'2" so any weight increase goes right to my hips and thighs. I'm definitely feeling fluffy in my stomach and thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Never tried iF intentionally but that’s how I’ve always eaten.
    But, you sound like you’re in a fitness rut. Does your yoga include any free weights? If not, start incorporating some good strength training.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I haven't used weights. I did last month change up my routine and swapped out yoga on Tues/Thurs for 20-30min of walk/run intervals. The yoga I tend to do is vinyasa and so uses body weight in poses and less time spent on restorative yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Some say mix it up occasionally. I find an occasional 20-24 hour fast helps me reset after a vacation or the holidays. I normally do anywhere from 16-18 hours most days but it varies. Some days it’s as little as 12 hours if I have stuff going on.
    Similarly, try mixing up your exercise routine. Good suggestion to add weights- I want to start that.
    Are you eating enough in your window? I don’t count calories but eat until I’m full. If you must weigh, do it at the same time. I can fluctuate a few pounds within a day due to water weight.
    I used to get tons of great ideas from the Delay don’t deny fb page (use the search) but now that I know what works I stopped looking there. I just searched for “hungry all morning” and a bunch of stuff popped up. You can troubleshoot there.
    I do think I'm eating enough and eat quite a bit of protein since I'm GF and therefore don't eat a ton of carbs, like bread. And I do weigh myself at the same time to avoid those fluctuations. I could try changing up my window, which is most often 18-6. I'm just not sure given how hungry I am in the morning that I could wait until 2pm to open my window. And like I said, I cannot compromise on family dinner which is 5-6pm.

I will check the FB group again. Maybe I'm not searching on the correct key words. When I search about being hungry all the results center on hunger when beginning IF and that it will go away with time. Same with gaining weight. I haven't found posts about gaining weight after a year in, all the gaining weight posts are about how it's not uncommon to gain before losing at the start.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast