Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Re: the vitamin D3 and probiotic, I'd try taking them when you open your window instead for a week or so just to see if it reduces the gnawing hunger. From what I've read many vitamins and supplements do cause an insulin response.
    Yes, I can easily just move that to dinner instead of before I leave for work with my last swig of coffee!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So, I like a lot about IF. I like what my bloodwork looked like when I was doing it! And yes, I was losing on it but I hit a plateau. I switched over to calorie restriction and lost a lot more weight with that. I think at a certain point you just have to cut calories or you won't see movement on the scale. I think that for some people, simply changing how you are eating (and shortening your window) can give you a temporary improvement. But I feel like your body learns to adapt and starts then consuming more calories in the window and then you gain back what you lost.

My person thought is that women are biologically programmed to need less calories as they age. IF is one of many tools that help us to eat less calories and help cause a deficit that can lead to weight loss. I know the afficionados that talk about IF as a secret formula and maybe there is something to the insulin response but I think it might only be part of the equation. I think if IF is comfortable for you, you like doing it and it helps you be more mindful of what you're eating (and when) then it is a win and can be part of a weight loss strategy. But for some people it isn't easy and for some people it isn't enough.

FWIW, I'm using IF combined with calorie reduction and a really "clean" diet right now to try and drop another 10 pounds. (Lots of veggies and lean protein, low-ish carb) I hesitate to chime i because I'm not technically overweight right now. I just like the way I look and feel better when I'm a little slimmer. I use IF because it is relatively easy for me both physically and psychologically. But I don't think I could move the needle by eating whatever I want during my window--even if my window was tiny. I also have to eat the right amounts of the right things!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    I have been doing IF for about a year. I was really successful during the pandemic last spring, since I was stuck at home and it was so easy to be on a set schedule. For feeling hungry, the only thing that solves that for me is to sip on plain hot water. It's so soothing in my stomach! The hunger pangs go away instantly. I actually prefer it to tea. I also find that the earlier I stop eating the day before, the less hungry I feel in the morning. I also have to have protein and healthy fat when I open and close my window. I never do extended fasts. The longest fast I have done was 21 hours, but it wasn't intentional. I average 18- 19 hours. I like doing IF and it has had a positive effect on my blood work. For weight loss, I have found that I don't see any significant weight loss with any diet program, unless I eat salad with protein for 2 meals a day. It can't even be cooked vegetables. I love salad, but twice a day, every day gets tiresome and I can only keep it up for so long. So I yo-yo up and down. I'm very frustrated by it!
    Do you think it is possible that the cooked veggies cause water retention or gas? I'm wondering because since I'm really attuned to my weight right now I see bigger fluctuations in my size from day to day based on the foods I'm eating than my overall calorie intake. I have found that if I eat low-ish carb (less than 80 per day so not extreme) AND if I stay away from dairy (yogurt or milk, cheese seems to be ok) and gassy veggies my tummy is nice and flat. Add any of those into the mix and I could start tabloid speculations of "pregnant or grande burrito", lol.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Bumping up this thread from May as I have returned to IF about 2 weeks ago, realize it's early days but seeing zero impact on weight so far. The last time I did I was able to go for a few months with also little to no impact on weight, but that was pre-pandemic and I've only added weight since then, probably need to lose 15 lbs instead of 8, mostly in the belly and hips. Hello, peri-menopause! Ugh, would love any tips from anyone who is further down this road than I am about what to expect in the next year or two - I was not prepared for the weight gain!

Anyway, I was doing 16:8 the first week and am up to 18:6 now for the last few days, hoping to stay in this zone.

How's it going now, wendibird?

for Sandy Hook

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Anyway, I was doing 16:8 the first week and am up to 18:6 now for the last few days, hoping to stay in this zone.
    It seems like on the Delay Don't Deny FB group, most people don't experience much weight loss until they are fasting for more than 18 hours. I started out from day 1 at 19:5 and noticed continuous weight loss. It's not just a straight decrease though, as my weight fluctuates daily as much as 2-3lbs, but the overall trend has been downward over the past 18 months. So you might see up, down, up, down on the scale daily, but your highest daily weight will continue to get lower. At least in my case. Does that make any sense?

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    It seems like on the Delay Don't Deny FB group, most people don't experience much weight loss until they are fasting for more than 18 hours. I started out from day 1 at 19:5 and noticed continuous weight loss. It's not just a straight decrease though, as my weight fluctuates daily as much as 2-3lbs, but the overall trend has been downward over the past 18 months. So you might see up, down, up, down on the scale daily, but your highest daily weight will continue to get lower. At least in my case. Does that make any sense?

Thanks! I think 18:6 might be my limit, but I am noticing some small changes. I don't actually have a weighing scale, but I can feel a difference.

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Bumping up this thread from May as I have returned to IF about 2 weeks ago, realize it's early days but seeing zero impact on weight so far. The last time I did I was able to go for a few months with also little to no impact on weight, but that was pre-pandemic and I've only added weight since then, probably need to lose 15 lbs instead of 8, mostly in the belly and hips. Hello, peri-menopause! Ugh, would love any tips from anyone who is further down this road than I am about what to expect in the next year or two - I was not prepared for the weight gain!

How's it going now, wendibird?
    Meh, no change. Still working out, moved my probiotic to evening. Went on vacation to WDW for 8 days and didn't follow IF because I needed to eat something before heading into the parks not knowing when we'd take a break to eat lunch or dinner. Dinners were later than I usually close my window too and I noticed no difference. Didn't gain or lose while away.

Hmmm...most days I fall somewhere between 18:6 and 17:7. I don't think I could do 19:5...holding out for 18 already tests the limits of my hunger. Like right now I'm at 12hrs and I'm STARVING. Like stomach is growling and all I can think about is how much longer until I can eat.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Hmmm...most days I fall somewhere between 18:6 and 17:7. I don't think I could do 19:5...holding out for 18 already tests the limits of my hunger. Like right now I'm at 12hrs and I'm STARVING. Like stomach is growling and all I can think about is how much longer until I can eat.
    Do you drink coffee in the morning during your fast? I feel like coffee acts as a appetite suppressant for most people. I usually have 1 nitro cold brew in the morning that I make myself.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Do you drink coffee in the morning during your fast? I feel like coffee acts as a appetite suppressant for most people. I usually have 1 nitro cold brew in the morning that I make myself.

Yes I have a cup of black coffee every morning. Sometimes a 2nd cup late morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4