jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Breast biopsy tips

I recently changed doctor and they mentioned doing a biopsy for a lump in my breast. The lump has been there for several years and doesn’t seem to have changed in that time. I was told we can continue the watch and see or biopsy to find out what it is. I decided to go for the biopsy. Anything I should know / tips? TIA
    Last edited by jgenie; 05-08-2021 at 04:14 PM.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've had two breast biopsies - a couple decades apart. One was a needle aspiration in college, and it was super simple and didn't hurt at all. I had a tiny bruise after that one. It was a benign fibroid tumor and I ended up getting it removed a couple of years later because it was still growing and it was getting annoying and created a risk that something not benign could "hide" behind it.

I had a second biopsy a few years ago after a mammo and then U/S found some irregularties. That one was a slightly bigger deal - Also a needle biopsy but they must have taken bigger samples because it hurt a bit more and left more bruising after the fact. For that one they also inserted a titanium marker so that in future mammograms they wouldn't flag the same area again. I can't feel it at all, it just shows up on xray etc.

I'd just say clear the rest of the day, rest and take it easy, hydrate and maybe ice or use pain killers if needed. Good luck!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If the biopsy is on the lower part of the breast, you might be more comfortable in a soft-cup wireless bra or sport bra for a time. It's best to get one in advance if you think you'll need it.

I’ve had three - one ultrasound guided and two stereotactic. I would recommend making sure you have multiple ice packs to rotate out. Have a comfortable wireless bra because you will likely need to spend a couple of days in it (including sleeping in it). Also, prepare for the possibility of bruising lasting for some time. It was quite significant after one of my stereotactic biopsies and lasted far longer than expected. I also had a bit of trouble sleeping on my side after one of them. That all said, the procedure itself isn’t a big deal overall.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've also had a breast biopsy and all I remember is that I was sore for about a day after on the side it was done. Like I couldn't hug my friends when I saw them later that day. That was it. I'd agree with wearing a non-underwire bra.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have had three biopsies, one in 2016 and two within the past month. The first two were ultrasound guided and the last was MRI guided. As far as the actual procedure, neither ultrasound guided was bad at all. I was expecting worse. The MRI was not fun but more because of the positioning and feeling of being pinned down to the machine rather than pain.

After the biopsy in 2016 I got a superficial blood clot and hematoma that they suspected was because I did too much physically afterward, so they had me do 48 hours bed rest after the two recent ones (which was actually nice outside the worrying about the results).

You will come home in an ace bandage so wear a top that buttons up in front in possible. I second the recommendation to have a few ice packs you can rotate. I was really diligent with icing this time around and I think it helped my recovery.

Sleeping is a little uncomfortable the first few nights, especially if you’re a side sleeper like me. I used a lot of pillows to find a comfy position.

I’m a few weeks out and I still can’t wear an underwire bra comfortably. I finally caved and ordered a nice post-surgery front closure bra from Ana Ono since I have to have a lumpectomy in a few weeks anyway (my lesions are non-cancerous myofibroblastoma tumors thankfully, but still need to be removed).

I hope all goes smoothly for you and your results are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My needle-punch biopsies didn't hurt too much, I don't remember much pain after either. I agree you want to wear wireless with room to stuff in a little ice pack (they gave me a little round one) and take it easy for the rest of the day. I am 5 years out from BC treatment, really hoping your lump is benign.