Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I finally talked DH into getting vaccinated! WWYD 2nd dose timing.

I am a little proud of my nagging because I wore DH down from "not getting vaccinated" (even though I did in Dec/Jan), to "maybe when it's FDA approved" to "okay fine". I scheduled it for him for Walgreens this afternoon because I want to get him to get at least the first dose (Pfizer) before he changes his mind or is "too busy" or whatever.
    So the second dose I scheduled for him for May 30th. Except that we are leaving for Florida on June 1 (driving). We won't really be around people in Florida (condo on beach, we will do take out for the most part). So....would you still have him get it May 30th and cross your fingers he doesn't have side effects or side effects while we are driving?! Or just wait until we get back? (We are only staying a few days because kids are doing summer school, so it would only be slightly more than a week "late".) I am leaning towards having him wait until we get back. I'm afraid if he has bad side effects while we are in the car for 11 hrs I'll never hear the end of it and he'll never get any boosters or anything (which he still might not anyway.) On the other hand, then he'll have both shots done.
    Even though he's a grown man he won't know the difference if I tell him to go get it again after our trip vs. before. (I made the appointments). I don't really want to stress the side effects before I've decided what the best way to go probably is. (And it's not like he's oblivious. He knows my mom felt pretty crappy for like 2 days after her second dose of Moderna.)
    Also anyone with difficulty getting vaccine appointments still should come to Missouri. I checked yesterday afternoon and just through Walgreens there is over 100 doses/appointments available to us within 10 miles I'm glad it was easy to schedule, quickly, but makes me sad.

ETA: Anyone with experience getting Walgreens to allow the second vaccine a few days sooner to avoid this? I don't think the system let me schedule it before the 30th, can DH ask when he goes or do we need to find somewhere else to do the second dose a day or two sooner?
    Last edited by AngB; 05-09-2021 at 11:16 AM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You can have it up to 4 days earlier than the due date, so I would just do it a couple of days earlier so he wont be feeling crappy still. Thats what my DD did as we planned a long car ride to look at colleges.
    Lucy DD3/03

Quote Originally Posted by lfp2n View Post
    You can have it up to 4 days earlier than the due date, so I would just do it a couple of days earlier so he wont be feeling crappy still. Thats what my DD did as we planned a long car ride to look at colleges.
    I totally forgot about this even though I got mine 17 days apart through my hospital, great idea, thank you!!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, I would do earlier or later, not the day before the trip. DH and I just got our second Moderna Friday evening. Yesterday we both felt very yucky (achy, headaches, chills, tired, and DH had a fever on and off). I am feeling almost back to normal this morning but DH is still exhausted and achy and headache.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did DH's second dose at Walgreens. Walgreens allows you to schedule a second dose by itself. So in your situation I would schedule the second dose as a separate shot and then you can cancel the other appointment once you get the new appointment scheduled if the pharmacist won't help him. They actually called DH a few days before his 21 day mark because they had shots expiring, so they may be willing to just book his appointment while he's there.

ETA: I got my second Pfizer on a Thursday and felt pretty rough on Friday, but was fully functional by Saturday morning. DH had nothing from his Pfizer shot.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Seeing as it's totally random who has side effects, and given the trip and his hesitancy, I'd personally reschedule whichever works with your schedule, either 3 days before or after, no significant difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Seeing as it's totally random who has side effects, and given the trip and his hesitancy, I'd personally reschedule whichever works with your schedule, either 3 days before or after, no significant difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I think either way is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Great job getting convincing him to get vaccinated! I agree with scheduling 3-4 days before its due!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The hospital where DH and I got Pfizer is scheduling all Pfizer and Moderna second shots 4 weeks out; I assume for convenience since they have been doing large clinics. I would wait until after as I know several people who have lingering side effects from the second shot up to a week later.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Depending on where in FL you're going, I would strongly lean towards getting it early. I know you said you wont be around people but at some point, you need to get gas, food, bathroom on a road trip.... FL has some of the highest cases of variants
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast