Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Any Idaho travel information?

I’m so excited we booked a family multi day rafting trip on the Salmon River in Idaho. I think I read about these trips here many years ago and although I am not looking forward to the camping part, I know DC will love it. I also felt this was a great year for it since there is a max # on the trip so we don’t have to worry about crowds. We are flying into Salt Lake City and have a 5 hour drive to rafting site with a few days before and after rafting portion for site seeing. Any recommendations? We are of course doing this last minute and there are some towns that are already completely booked for July. We may need to do a day in SLC so any recommendations there would be appreciated too. Kids are teens and we love active.. hiking, biking, etc. but would also love historical sites, great scenery, museums. TIA!

UPDATE:
    We had a great trip! Flew into Salt Lake City and drove to Idaho Falls with a stop in Lava Hot Springs. Next day went to Craters of the Moon National monument which was amazing. Continued on to Salmon, ID which is a cute town. Rafting trip for the next 3 days and 2 nights. It was really amazing. Ended up being just our family which was good and bad. I was happy to have just us since you never know what the dynamics would be like with others but I think DC would have enjoyed more with other people. The river was at an all time low so there were a few rapids that were big but a lot of mellow time as well. We had 3 staff for the 4 of us. I’m glad we did the shorter trip… it does get repetitive. But the scenery is just amazing. After the trip we went back to Idaho Falls for a night then back to Salt Lake City. We did atop at The Potato Museum which was interesting. We had one full day in SLC so went to Park City to get out of the heat then in the evening we did an E-Bike tour on Antelope Island. Beautiful scenery and sunset and the e-bikes were a lot of fun. But it was also depressing to see how low the water level is in the lake. We met at the marina which is now dry and has not had water in years. Beautiful part of the country and we saw a lot in a short time. It was hotter than usual and we also had smoke from wildfires but it was great to be traveling again.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 07-25-2021 at 04:26 PM.