Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I will be a voice of "the Great Salt Lake isn't that great". It smells pretty bad (I lived pretty far away and could smell it still some days) and I think you would enjoy other things in SLC that Rebecca mentioned more than "floating" in that lake. Also, in July it could be miserable on the valley floor.

Yep—no way on the Lake!! Anything else on my list is better than that stinky place!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the feedback on lake... we’ll skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Thanks so much for all of this info! To clarify, we are going to Salmon, ID (not Stanley) Stanley and the Sun Valley area are completely booked for lodging in July and August (just FYI if others are looking). I just did a quick check so I’m sure there may be some options. We have 1 full day pre rafting trip and 2.5 days after.

We arrive AM Day 1 and will Uber to car rental place (off site as car rentals are a nightmare right now). Then were thinking of Antelope Island if shower facilities are open and we can get into Salt Lake. I know my kids would love the “floating”. Then drive a couple hours towards Crater of the Moon (I have a hotel in Idaho Falls right now but it may be too far off route). Day 2 at Crater of the Moon then hoping to find hot springs between there and Salmon. I know there is Goldbug in Challis but saw it is clothing optional which would not go over well with the teens.

Days 3-5 are rafting then we have days 6-8 to figure out. Options are Driggs area and Earthquake Lake, Island Park , others you mention. Or return to SLC and see sites there. We leave midday on day 8.
    On day one, I would get the car and then do the Dog Lake Hike at the top of Millcreek Canyon. This assumes that you are not flying in on a weekend. If you are, don't do that suggestion!!! It will take 30-45 minutes to get to the trailhead and 2-3 hours to do the hike. Then yes, drive to Idaho Falls--that will take 3.5-4 hours. Another option which might work better after a plane ride (??) would be to start driving. Go up to Idaho Falls, and on the way--stop at the Potato Museum in Blackfoot. Seriously. Then, in Idaho Falls, the have the Museum of Eastern Idaho which gets amazing traveling exhibits--we have seen ones on Darwin, Pompeii, the race to the North Pole, etc. That will easily kill a couple of hours. That's a good 7 hour day right there. Check out the website for Museum of Eastern Idaho. If the exhibit doesn't interest you, then hit the Museum of Natural History in SLC. Smittys Pancake House in Idaho Falls is the place for breakfast--or any time really.

Then, go up to Craters of the Moon and on to Salmon.

Days 6-8--I love Island Park and Earthquake Lake, too. There is an awesome migratory bird refuge. You could ride horses or hike at the Herriman Railroad Ranch. You can float the river in inner tubes in Island Park. Pretty tame after your previous days :-) See if you can get a cabin in Island Park on VRBO or something. If anyone in your family likes fly fishing, the Henry's Fork of the Snake River is WORLD CLASS and a must do. Book a guide. You will either have to get up really early on day 8 to make it back. (It will be a 5-6 hour drive) Or go down to Pocatello on the night of Day 7 and go the rest of the way on Day 8.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    On day one, I would get the car and then do the Dog Lake Hike at the top of Millcreek Canyon. This assumes that you are not flying in on a weekend. If you are, don't do that suggestion!!! It will take 30-45 minutes to get to the trailhead and 2-3 hours to do the hike. Then yes, drive to Idaho Falls--that will take 3.5-4 hours. Another option which might work better after a plane ride (??) would be to start driving. Go up to Idaho Falls, and on the way--stop at the Potato Museum in Blackfoot. Seriously. Then, in Idaho Falls, the have the Museum of Eastern Idaho which gets amazing traveling exhibits--we have seen ones on Darwin, Pompeii, the race to the North Pole, etc. That will easily kill a couple of hours. That's a good 7 hour day right there. Check out the website for Museum of Eastern Idaho. If the exhibit doesn't interest you, then hit the Museum of Natural History in SLC. Smittys Pancake House in Idaho Falls is the place for breakfast--or any time really.

Then, go up to Craters of the Moon and on to Salmon.

Days 6-8--I love Island Park and Earthquake Lake, too. There is an awesome migratory bird refuge. You could ride horses or hike at the Herriman Railroad Ranch. You can float the river in inner tubes in Island Park. Pretty tame after your previous days :-) See if you can get a cabin in Island Park on VRBO or something. If anyone in your family likes fly fishing, the Henry's Fork of the Snake River is WORLD CLASS and a must do. Book a guide. You will either have to get up really early on day 8 to make it back. (It will be a 5-6 hour drive) Or go down to Pocatello on the night of Day 7 and go the rest of the way on Day 8.
    Thank you so much! Seriously, you have saved me hours of research time. I am very grateful! This all sounds great and I will work on getting this itinerary planned now.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did this rafting trip almost 5 years ago! We all lived - don't panic just because it's called The River of No Return. Luckily we went in late summer when the rapids weren't as big as they could be. DDs were 13 & 11 (had her bday out there, everyone made a big deal of it which was cute). We had guides who brought all the food and did all the cooking, bedding/tents, knew what was going on, etc., so that was great! But I learned for sure on this trip I'm more an actual Glamping person, rather than a Groover person.

The hot spring we went to was amazing. I lost count of how many bald eagles we saw. We lived through a thunderstorm. We saw a wild mare and her mule (and they saw me on the groover ). We saw a hermit's cabin and all his preparations to deal with an invasion of the government (this was amazing, I am looking for his name. It's now like a rest stop on the river, I'm sure he's rolling in his grave). We looked across the river at another time zone, which I thought was crazy lol!

Sorry but we didn't do any exploring before/after, we went out quick to meet up with friends who were touring for the whole summer, then right back home.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    We did this rafting trip almost 5 years ago! We all lived - don't panic just because it's called The River of No Return. Luckily we went in late summer when the rapids weren't as big as they could be. DDs were 13 & 11 (had her bday out there, everyone made a big deal of it which was cute). We had guides who brought all the food and did all the cooking, bedding/tents, knew what was going on, etc., so that was great! But I learned for sure on this trip I'm more an actual Glamping person, rather than a Groover person.

The hot spring we went to was amazing. I lost count of how many bald eagles we saw. We lived through a thunderstorm. We saw a wild mare and her mule (and they saw me on the groover ). We saw a hermit's cabin and all his preparations to deal with an invasion of the government (this was amazing, I am looking for his name. It's now like a rest stop on the river, I'm sure he's rolling in his grave). We looked across the river at another time zone, which I thought was crazy lol!

Sorry but we didn't do any exploring before/after, we went out quick to meet up with friends who were touring for the whole summer, then right back home.
    Thanks so much for this feedback! I already know I am more of a glamping person but the things we do for our kids! The outfitter we are using handles everything so I think it will be an easy trip and the only thing I am not looking forward to is the bathroom situation but I’m sure it will be fine. I know my family is going to love the adventure and traveling again is much needed. An added bonus is that kids will now be fully vaxxed when we go. I will report back!

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Lava Hot Springs might be within range of a stop. It’s been decades since I’ve been so I don’t know for sure it it’s as fun as I remember. Maybe others can add their opinion if it interests you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lava is amazing and worth a stop if hot springs are a key draw for you.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

Update in OP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast