Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinning hair

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Thinning hair

I have one spot right in the middle of the hair line on my forehead that is thinning. It's horrible and I hate it. I have dark hair and it's very obvious because I'm also pale, so my white scalp shows through. The dermatologist wanted me to try spirolactone, but my PCP says she's worried that it would make my blood pressure too low because it's already low and my endocrinologist said not to take it because my blood tests don't show that my hormones are causing the issue. I do think it's possibly hormonal, but want to see my GYN first to see what she says. However that spot also gets very flaky. No one wants to run the tests that I'm reading need ran. They'll run one here and then another doctor will run something else. My ferritin is low, so I am working on that. So until I get in to my Gyn, does anyone have any suggestions? I've been trying to find a hair serum that at least makes your scalp healthy in hopes of promoting new hair growth, but there are so many out there I don't know if any truly work. I just don't want this spot getting any worse if I can help it.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If your ferritin is low it's most likely that. Ferritin under 50 can cause hair loss. Make sure you're taking vitamin C along with any iron you're taking. I take vitamin C at every meal.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Not sure if this is your issue but I was noticing some thinning along my hairline above my forehead and mentioned it casually when I was at the dermatologist last. He asked if I ever wore my hair back in a ponytail and I said yes -- especially during daily workouts. He said to stop due to pulling on the hair. I stopped and had hair growth return on no time. I thought I'd mention it because t's a pretty simple thing to try if you think the same could apply to you.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I bet it’s the ferritin. That did it for me. I have also been taking spironolactone go prevent more loss (for years) and I’m afraid to stop as I can’t afford any more shedding.
    At one point I did rogaine but got lazy.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If it’s just one spot, could it be something like alopecia areata?

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    If your ferritin is low it's most likely that. Ferritin under 50 can cause hair loss. Make sure you're taking vitamin C along with any iron you're taking. I take vitamin C at every meal.

What is the purpose of taking Vit C with iron? A friend was just prescribed both, but he wasn’t really given a clear reason for adding the Vit C. Interesting side note: CVS was basically sold out of Vit C, and the pharmacist said that lots of people have been taking it ever since the start of the pandemic.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Dr told me that iron in general is hard for the body to absorb, supplements more so. The vitamin C helps the iron be absorbed by the body better.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Dr told me that iron in general is hard for the body to absorb, supplements more so. The vitamin C helps the iron be absorbed by the body better.
    Yes I don't take regular iron supplements. I take beef spleen capsules daily along with 1000mg of vitamin C w/ rose hips.

I still need to get IV iron infusions every 3 months though (down from monthly at least).

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Beef Spleen? I think I'll stick to spinach!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks ladies! I think it probably is the ferritin because it's around 30 but nothing I do seems to get it past 50 and then they take me off of it and back down it goes. I don't know if this is allowed, but I feel like if I could get one iron transfusion to get it up to 80 (or however many it takes), then take pills to keep it up maybe I'd see some improvement. I'm allergic to beef, so that option won't work. I've tried the Blood Builder pills as well as regular iron but those constipate me so bad and then I have to take Miralax on top of it. I also used to wear my hair in a pony tail daily so I'm sure that doesn't help, but I stopped wearing a pony tail a few years ago when it started thinning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast