Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think the regular accelerated math is fine. My older boys did that. Honors Algebra I in 8th. Started with Geometry in 9th. That is a perfect path for Calculus in 12th, which is more than enough for most and the social aspect isn’t unimportant.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I think being +1 year in math is totally fine.

My 2 oldest are +2 years and did algebra 2 in 9th grade and are both completely still very good at math. However, I see a lot of their friends who are on this path struggle more. A couple changed to statistics instead of calculus in 11th grade and will do computer science or something else for math credit in 12th. They were strong in math in 5th, but not quite enough to see through to that high level by 11th. Just something to consider.

DS2 is +3 years in math. He skipped 4th grade and went to a 5th grade class (just for math). So in 6th he was in algebra with 7th graders. At first he was completely against it because he didn't know 5th graders and didn't want to be weird. But now he's glad because he has friends in different grades. It's the same school, so not your situation, but a little close.

DS2 is in 7th now and doing math online. He's in algebra 2 this year and will do geometry next year in 8th grade with his 8th grade cohort. Now he's worried he won't know anyone in that math class, lol. We flipped his 7th and 8th because he'd be online for algebra 2 regardless, so figured this year was a good year for that.
    Kris

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My Dd had a choice with math last year. She is in 7th and taking Algebra (on the advanced track you mentioned). In 8th she will take geometry and with have to get up early to take it at the high school since they do not offer it at the middle school. She loves math and when accepted in the path happily chose it (if required her to study pre algebra last summer since she technically skipped it). I wasn’t going to push her on this path if she didn’t chose it (she would have still been able to take calc as a senior). I think I would let your DS pick his path since it’s not going to set it him off track really. Kids at that age have so few choices in school and I do think friendships are really important.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS1 is in a similar program. He is heading to 9th grade next year and has been accelerated since 2nd grade. Math is an area of strength for him, but not a passion. I cannot see the value of having him switch buildings and social groups to pursue something that is not a personal focus area for him. He is, from what the district has told me, one of the top two math kids in the district. His passion is social studies. If I pushed him to pursue math, he'd resent it. As it is, he enjoys it well enough, but wouldn't be inclined to seek it out. Meanwhile, he does seek out social studies opportunities - he's actually zoomed with state senators as a student advocate, etc.

ETA: For context, DS1 is in 8th grade and is currently taking Algebra II / Functions, Stats and Trig Honors. He'll take AP Stats in 9th, Pre-Calc in 10th, and then will do a two year IB HL math track in 11th and 12th. I don't see any of that really changing his life, to be honest.
    Last edited by ahisma; 05-13-2021 at 03:54 PM.

hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Another perspective to consider... When your child starts college, whatever path he chooses, he will want to take Calculus at the college if he is majoring in a field requiring math. Many colleges prefer you take their calculus class and it is a good way to get familiar with a college class and how math is taught at the school. So, if he is going into engineering, he will probably want to take Calculus in college regardless.

I always tell my students to NOT use Dual Enrollment or AP credits for classes required for their major. Those first classes lay a lot of groundwork for the rest of their college classes.

Honestly, I would lay out the pros and cons to your son (and yourself) and then talk to him. What does he want to add to the pro/con list, what does he want to do (and why)... He may surprise you with his perspective. Definitely give him your opinion with your reasoning, but ultimately it is HIS decision. Switching schools for one subject is a big change and one that can't be redone without social and academic "consequences". He can't just "try the program" and then drop back done if it is not working for whatever reason. Also, remind him of the consequences of either decision and let him know that, while it is his decision, he cannot come back and "blame" you if he later believes it was not the right choice... Good luck and congratulations. Just being chosen for the program is a big accomplishment.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would let him attend the school of his choice. Middle school is hard enough socially let alone being pushed to go somewhere you don’t want to go
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is on a similar track to the one OP mentioned - she's a junior and finishing calc AB. At our huge HS (same as O_Mom), some finishing calc BC and some had it as sophomores (! ) in addition to those who will have Calc AB senior year or pre-calc senior year.

Having said that - agree that the social aspect is important. She was lucky to be able to do the accelerated program at her 'home' middle school, with grade level peers in her classes. I only skimmed - but if they DO go the accelerated path are they with same age kids in MS? in HS? Ours was in MS but not high school - where in my opinion it matters less but not totally unimportant either. (Hmmm - I think honors Algebra II may have been only freshman or freshman and soph...)

Good luck deciding!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    DD is on a similar track to the one OP mentioned - she's a junior and finishing calc AB. At our huge HS (same as O_Mom), some finishing calc BC and some had it as sophomores (! ) in addition to those who will have Calc AB senior year or pre-calc senior year.

Having said that - agree that the social aspect is important. She was lucky to be able to do the accelerated program at her 'home' middle school, with grade level peers in her classes. I only skimmed - but if they DO go the accelerated path are they with same age kids in MS? in HS? Ours was in MS but not high school - where in my opinion it matters less but not totally unimportant either. (Hmmm - I think honors Algebra II may have been only freshman or freshman and soph...)

Good luck deciding!
    What's the benefit to finishing math by sophomore year? If it frees up some great elective space, awesome. If not, I am not sure I see the appeal.

A "down the road" thought too...ds1 was a year ahead in science and math and most of his friends wound up being a grade ahead. AKA a bit lonely senior year when they were all gone (still had a good social group but his core group moved on). And now, in college, being a year behind them means that they are all living in different cities this summer for internships and career related jobs while he's at home. I loved that his friends could drive him places but there are sometimes drawbacks from being in classes and making friends with older kiddos.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Isn't there just regular advanced math at your middle school, say Algebra I in seventh? My concern with this particular track is - what happens next? In high school, it's going to get really hard, really fast. He's going to have to really want this track when he takes BC Calc as a sophomore. Even if he can do the work, emotional maturity and the ability to study is also important. Also, is your goal a lot of AP credit? If not, there's no reason to rush this.

Unlike when I was growing up, taking Algebra I in eighth grade these days is the norm.

I agree with Philly Mom - 1000 kids in a middle school isn't really a big deal. It's actually better for the kids; there appears to be a lot of friend dropping across both genders. Availability of other kids helps that.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    I would let him do the regular accelerated program and stay at his home school. Friendships are really important, in some ways more important than academics. Most people find success more through the relationships they build than from the classes they take in middle/high school.

And there is some research showing that accelerating too much too young is detrimental in higher-level math courses. It is definitely not conclusive, but the development of the brain is poorly understood, and there rarely is a detriment to taking one's time. If his choices were algebra in 6th versus waiting until 9th grade, I would feel differently. But it sounds as though he will still have a viable option for an appropriate math path, just not super acceleration.
    I agree with this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast