Default Who had that organizing job for old people?

I remember someone here started a company that helps old people declutter, organize, and move. I’m wondering what kind of training and certification is needed. I think helping others declutter and organize things is my calling, and I’m looking for a part time career to keep myself busy once the kids are in school next fall. Currently I’m an adjunct professor and teach one class a semester, but I get paid next to nothing and it can be stressful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I believe it's CandaceB
    K

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have no experience with working for such a company, but I know there are a few Caring Transitions estate sale companies in my area, which is actually a franchise for Senior Relocation services. https://www.caringtransitionsfranchise.com/services/
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

Well, I did but I pivoted.
    I started out thinking I wanted to be a Senior Move Manager and took the classes and filled the requirements (insurance, etc.) to be a member of the National Association of Senior Move Managers. As part of that preparation, I needed letters of recommendation. I posted on nextdoor offering 3x 3 hour decluttering sessions. Three people took me up on it, and 2 of them became long-term weekly clients.
    The 3 hour de-cluttering sessions work really well for me. It's a good amount of time to get something done without being exhausting.
    I never ended up managing a move. I don't regret doing the training because a lot of my clients are in the middle of moving and I have been able to use things I learned in those classes.
    I dropped my membership in the association, and now I'm doing de-cluttering, downsizing, and concierge move services.
    I charge $50/hour with a 3 hour minimum, which is less than other people in my are who put themselves out there as "professional organizers" - they are usually $75-85ish. I include removal of one carload of donations in my sessions. Another woman I know adds $10/hour if you want her to deal with the donations.
    I also help people sell things - through ebay and Facebook marketplace. If I help them list the things on their own account during a session, I don't charge. If I do all the selling outside of a session, I charge a 30% commission. I try to only sell things with $100 or more anticipated value because otherwise it's not worth it.
    hope that helps - feel free to ask me any questions I didn't cover.