Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default New CDC guidelines

New CDC guidelines released today are that vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks. For those who will still have unvaccinated kids at home, will you be unmasking now or waiting until all in your home are vaccinated?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    New CDC guidelines released today are that vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks. For those who will still have unvaccinated kids at home, will you be unmasking now or waiting until all in your home are vaccinated?

I'm sure my husband will never wear a mask anywhere it isn't required (will have to make sure he understand it starts 2 weeks after your second shot, which he gets tomorrow!). I think for myself it will depend on the situation. We will still avoid things like eating at indoor restaurants or flying with the kids. I may wear a mask sometimes because it will make it easier to get the kids to keep theirs on if I'm wearing one too. I imagine my workplace will maintain a mask mandate for a while.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

DS doesn't turn 12 until December. I will continue to mask indoors and probably outdoors in very tight spaces. DS is back in school masked, although with the CDC's guidance last week, they no longer wear them outside. He's also playing basketball and has to wear a mask, although it usually slip a bit five minutes into the game. We also has resumed indoor dining. If there's a patio and it's a nice day, we still sit outside but we're more flexible than we were a few months ago.

I realize that our COVID protocols are more on the relaxed end for this board.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

We're waiting until all our kids are vaccinated, although for DS2 it's just a couple more months until he turns 12 in late July. I also live in the SF Bay Area, which has a very high rate of mask wearers. It will be interesting to see whether our local stores like Costco, Trader Joe's, Target, etc drop their mask mandates or keep them. Right now, pretty much every single store around here has a sign stating that anyone who enters must wear a mask.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post

My youngest 3 aren’t vaccinated yet but Dh, I and our oldest are. Not much has changed. We are keeping all the kids learning virtually until the end of the school year. They are in a routine now that is working fine for them so we will finish out the year. In the next few weeks we will get them vaccinated. In the mean time, we are still being careful. Boy scout meetings are still via zoom or outside, dance classes are just finishing up and dd had her last online class last night. Most of the stores we visit still require masks so we wear them.

the biggest change is that Dh and I have gone out to dinner a couple of times with friends and that is new (and felt great to get out!). We have also allowed the kids to have some homeschooled friends in the house to watch movies or whatever.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It will be interesting to see how this affects stores, churches, schools, etc. our governor has said repeatedly that he will keep the mask mandate in place until 70% of people in the state are vaccinated, which we are nowhere near. DH and I will not be fully vaxed until next weekend, and the girls are scheduled for their first next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this affects stores, churches, schools, etc. our governor has said repeatedly that he will keep the mask mandate in place until 70% of people in the state are vaccinated, which we are nowhere near. DH and I will not be fully vaxed until next weekend, and the girls are scheduled for their first next week.

Same. I’m very curious to see what stores and schools will do. I’m in no rush for people to take masks off inside or at outdoor places like Disneyland! I was just feeling comfortable with the idea of going while capacity is low. I’m hopeful they won’t change any rules there before the end of the month.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This confuses me. I'm fully vaxxed, so i can go out and not wear a mask? Won't all the anti-mask anti- vax folks be out also unmasked? Why would anyone un-vaxxed choose to "out" themselves by wearing a mask then?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    This confuses me. I'm fully vaxxed, so i can go out and not wear a mask? Won't all the anti-mask anti- vax folks be out also unmasked? Why would anyone un-vaxxed choose to "out" themselves by wearing a mask then?

It is weird. I've also seen a number of comments on FB articles where people say they plan to continue to wear a mask so that people don't think they are anti-mask. Which...OK, I guess. Although that sounds less like "following the science" and more like another issue.

Businesses can choose to go above and beyond government mandates. For example, our state has dropped the outdoor mandate, but the minor-league baseball team requires it when in the park because it's a MLB rule. But with today's announcement, those protocols start to lose some their legs.

Plus maybe I'm cynical, but a lot of the business protocols seems to be less about actual health concerns and more about not wanting to be known as a super-spreader event or location.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post

This is what I'm thinking too. I am both excited to get to the point where I can be without a mask (though I'm not against masks--it just sounds sort of freeing and it makes sense scientifically!) but I'm also unsure as to how there will be any kind of even enforcement and I'm concerned (AGAIN!) for my younger, unvaxxed kids, right when I was thinking we'd be able to open up a little more for them. Doesn't it just feel like kids keep getting a raw deal during COVID?

Why do I feel like the ones most likely to forgo the masks will be the unvaxxed and mask resistant, and the more conscientious vaccinated people will continue to mask?

The different standards for masking make sense from a scientific standpoint but I also feel like it will set up different standards for people based on their medical choices and that's got some uncomfortable potential ramifications...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast