Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    This confuses me. I'm fully vaxxed, so i can go out and not wear a mask? Won't all the anti-mask anti- vax folks be out also unmasked? Why would anyone un-vaxxed choose to "out" themselves by wearing a mask then?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Latest conspiracy theory I heard is vaccinated people are releasing “dangerous” vaccine particles so now some anti maskers want to wear masks to protect from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    It is weird. I've also seen a number of comments on FB articles where people say they plan to continue to wear a mask so that people don't think they are anti-mask. Which...OK, I guess. Although that sounds less like "following the science" and more like another issue.

Businesses can choose to go above and beyond government mandates. For example, our state has dropped the outdoor mandate, but the minor-league baseball team requires it when in the park because it's a MLB rule. But with today's announcement, those protocols start to lose some their legs.

Plus maybe I'm cynical, but a lot of the business protocols seems to be less about actual health concerns and more about not wanting to be known as a super-spreader event or location.
    Maybe there is something to it. I personally like to reward businesses who have helped me to feel safe during the pandemic. I am so grateful to Costco being an early adopter of masks that it has become my primary place to get groceries (though with 2 teenagers and 2 other kids we were gravitating towards that anyway...)

I'd like to know how this is proposed to affect kids, since they cannot currently get vaccinated.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Latest conspiracy theory I heard is vaccinated people are releasing “dangerous” vaccine particles so now some anti maskers want to wear masks to protect from that.

That'd be awesome. I oppose misinformation but the irony of this is too great not to appreciate!

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I can't imagine not wearing a mask anywhere my 7 year old is required to wear one.
    Also no idea what my husband who is anti-mask and anti-vaccine will do. I don't want to go anywhere with him at this point.

Did the CDC think this would increase vaccination rates? I'm doubtful it will work since one needs to believe Covid is an actual real threat before they roll up their sleeves for a jab. Based on people locally that I know, anti-mask likely means anti-vax. Hopefully it's based on the science behind vaccines and their effectiveness but, again, I'm not so sure about the quick about face.

We will continue wearing masks indoors, especially since DH and I are the only fully vaccinated. DS1 got his first today and DS2 will get his Tuesday. DD isn't eligible. We won't change anything we are doing/not doing at this point. My kids are in school with masks and playing outdoor sports without. We eat outdoors on patios. I've transitioned from making decisions based on Covid prevention to considering the relative risk of everything. That still includes a healthy respect for the virus and an understanding that I can only control our behavior. I'm not spending time worrying about the anti-mask/anti-vax crowd but I'm not hanging out with them either. Hopefully our immunity is strong!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this affects stores, churches, schools, etc. our governor has said repeatedly that he will keep the mask mandate in place until 70% of people in the state are vaccinated, which we are nowhere near. DH and I will not be fully vaxed until next weekend, and the girls are scheduled for their first next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, same. And normally as a NYer I’d have said that mask policies would stick here but given thar Cuomo has been in the hot seat for his possible transgressions he’s lessen protocols right and left just to seem like a good guy and distract from his problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

The timing of this was awful. Could they not wait till Memorial Day week/weekend so schools may be out and kids 12-15 could at least get a chance to get vaccinated?! We live in an area where school has been in person since Aug. so "being able to go to school in person" is not a novelty but the "covid is a hoax" crowd (70% of our area) has been pressuring schools for months now to drop the mask requirement..this will not help even though obviously kids aren't vaccinated. Meanwhile we have a kid quarantined for the 7th time this school year as of yesterday.
    ETA:
    We will keep doing what we've been doing as if the rules haven't changed. DH will stop wearing a mask at work if he's allowed. I will wear a mask at work as long as I'm allowed because I love how it hides my "WTF" expression when people say crazy crap and also not to mention it helps with unpleasant smelling patients. We VERY rarely go to stores and I do not miss shopping.
    Last edited by AngB; 05-13-2021 at 07:51 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I cringed seeing that honestly. What’s the rush to abandon masks so quickly in grocery stores etc.? How are we going to know who is vaccinated who is not?
    I’m no expert but I’d rather err on the side of caution based on what’s happening in other nations like Brazil or India for instance. There are variants and being complacent or scaling back on safety measures too soon has backfired for those counties.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Did the CDC think this would increase vaccination rates? I'm doubtful it will work since one needs to believe Covid is an actual real threat before they roll up their sleeves for a jab. Based on people locally that I know, anti-mask likely means anti-vax. Hopefully it's based on the science behind vaccines and their effectiveness but, again, I'm not so sure about the quick about face.

We will continue wearing masks indoors, especially since DH and I are the only fully vaccinated. DS1 got his first today and DS2 will get his Tuesday. DD isn't eligible. We won't change anything we are doing/not doing at this point. My kids are in school with masks and playing outdoor sports without. We eat outdoors on patios. I've transitioned from making decisions based on Covid prevention to considering the relative risk of everything. That still includes a healthy respect for the virus and an understanding that I can only control our behavior. I'm not spending time worrying about the anti-mask/anti-vax crowd but I'm not hanging out with them either. Hopefully our immunity is strong!
    Yes, they thought it would encourage more people to get vaccinated. That’s the theory from a bunch of Ph.D. epidemiologists. Actually percentage of fully vaxxed people isn’t that high when you factor in children, and we all know new mutations can be spread by children. So my Ph.D. epidemiologist friend says she still encouraged everyone to wear masks indoors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

Well this is obviously false. But can't vaccinated people still get Covid and therefore potentially spread it to unvaccinated people? I thought I read today that 7 Yankees all contracted Covid post-vaccination?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast