Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My older kids’ school says fully vaccinated students do not need to quarantine unless they develop symptoms. They’ve been the gold standard for dealing with this thing all the way through so I am all good with that. I haven’t heard from other places. Of course, my oldest just had shot 2 and school will be out when he reaches the 2 week mark and DS2 just had shot 1 so it’s moot for this year.

The unvaccinated rules are the same as always. They still do 6 ft distancing. Masked contacts modified quarantine...can go to school but not extracurriculars. Unmasked indoor would be regular quarantine, but they are mask mandatory.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 05-14-2021 at 06:40 PM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

We just had a kid go into our 7th quarantine of the year Wednesday. "Modified" quarantine- he can go to school but "is not supposed to go anywhere else" (we actually follow this but I'm pretty sure most people don't anymore from what I've seen.) The rules for our area have changed since last time- I can get him tested day 5 6 or 7 an he can be released from quarantine day 8. (Even a rapid test). Or without testing, day 10. Kids that are "close contacts" but unmasked (lunch, snack) get regular quarantined where they also can't go to school for those days, and they don't get instruction since teacher is teaching the class. I assume the timeframe is the same but I am not sure.

My main reasoning for getting my kids vaccinated will be (still arguing this with DH so I feel you) because 1) I am over the quarantine crap. SEVEN times this year for three kids in school. (And DS3 is just in preschool and only goes 4 days a week.) 2) DS2 is still traumatized by his covid tests from January, he gets bad nose bleeds pretty regularly anyway and they have definitely been worse since that. And DS2 is our "sickly" kid, the only one in our family who has had influenza twice, always gets colds through the winter, etc. I have no problem keeping him home when not well but having to get him covid tested to return is not happening. 3.)I am probably wrongly hopeful that our schools will only allow vaccinated kids to be unmasked (which is no one right now for their ages anyway, but will probably be very few anyway because of our area). I think that's unlikely, but if unvaccinated kids are all unmasked around them then I for sure want them vaccinated because now their risk is a lot higher than it was this year when at least masks have been required. I am not particularly worried about them actually catching covid but there is a whole lot of crap that comes with being in school.
    Last edited by AngB; 05-14-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    I'm seeing 1-2 weeks for unvaccinated, exposed but not symptomatic. The shorter time involves a test after some amount of quarantine. I'm not entirely clear if one household member is exposed if all have to quarantine. I don't have any feel for the likely timeliness if any family members have symptoms or if they have a positive test.
    They (general recommendations) have never quarantined whole households for one person exposed, unless person exposed has ANY symptoms even something not covid unless you are lucky enough to get an alternative diagnosis like strep or something. Regular colds are not allowed after a covid exposure = covid even with negative testing. I was surprised with our first quarantine when I had to pick DS up from school that other kids could keep going. (I mean with the amount of covid in our schools if they had to keep siblings out too they'd probably not have enough kids in school to even have school.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Default Quarantine requirements?

Our state and school district dropped all quarantine requirements. It’s up to the parents. Unless a kid has a fever, they can come to school. . And if you’ve been exposed, you don’t even need to wear a mask to school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Our state and school district dropped all quarantine requirements. It’s up to the parents. Unless a kid has a fever, they can come to school. . And if you’ve been exposed, you don’t even need to wear a mask to school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wow! I can’t imagine!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2