Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Quarantine requirements?

I am trying to figure out how exposure or illness may disrupt life this summer (camps) and fall (school) and how vaccination will change things.

I am fully vaccinated. DD is scheduled for shot #2 on Sunday.

H won't get vaccinated and doesn't want the kids vaccinated. DS1 is 12 and now eligible for vaccination, DS2 is 7. I work remotely full time and don't anticipate any required work travel this year. H is currently remote but I expect/hope that his office will open up at some point. DD will work this summer at a camp, both DS1 and 2 are scheduled for various camps most of the summer. The boys and I will spend a week with my parents and my brothers family (all adults will be vaccinated, H will stay home).

I am trying to work through various scenarios - H exposed, H sick, one of the kids exposed, etc. , to try to understand potential disruption and present the case to H for vaccinating DS1. (I am ignoring for now that it looks like H has a .1-.5% chance of not surviving infection based on demographics and just want to focus on the practical issues.) I am still waiting for formal guidance from our school district and the various camps and expect everything is a bit of a moving target. What am I in for? Please advise!
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quarantine rules seem to vary. My district requires 2 weeks, but some say not at all. Others say it depends on if you are vaccinated. I don’t think there is a blanket answer to this question.

I'm seeing 1-2 weeks for unvaccinated, exposed but not symptomatic. The shorter time involves a test after some amount of quarantine. I'm not entirely clear if one household member is exposed if all have to quarantine. I don't have any feel for the likely timeliness if any family members have symptoms or if they have a positive test.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If it is a family member you will all have to quarantine as you will all be in direct contact. Schools are a bit iffy on who they consider to be a close contact.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    If it is a family member you will all have to quarantine as you will all be in direct contact. Schools are a bit iffy on who they consider to be a close contact.
    I have some sense about the school contact tracing since its been going all year, but they recently reduced the distancing requirement to 3 ft and it hasn't been enough time to see any practical effects on tracing. I guess the next few weeks will be a good preview for the fall. I also don't know how students being vaccinated will impact things, since that is also relatively new, even for the older high school kids.

Our district does testing on day 5 or later, return to school on day 7 if tested negative, continue to monitor for symptoms until day 10 (when you can return without a test if symptom free). That’s for in school or community exposure. They quarantine the entire class and entire bus cohort, even though there are seating charts. In addition, I had to quarantine (but not test) DD when DS was quarantined. The option was to keep him completely separate from her, including no shared spaces, or to keep her home. If someone in the household tests positive I believe it’s a 14 day quarantine, or a certain set of circumstances/days if you yourself end up testing positive. It’s totally possible to get a longer quarantine as a household member who doesn’t end up with COVID than if you test positive. Our district has said that fully vaxed individuals do not need to quarantine for an in school exposure, and this is already true for teachers and older high schoolers who are now fully vaxed. I don’t know how this would apply to if your DH tested positive and you and the kids were fully vaxed because the rules seem different for people you live with than just community contacts. I imagine some of these district rules will change before school starts in the fall. Anyway, quarantining is a pain and a disruption and I continue to feel for you OP that your DH refuses to see your POV.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

NY is currently a 10 day quarantine for close contacts who are unvaccinated. Schools and camps have to follow that protocol. My kids’ school requires 100% masking at all times on school grounds except lunch so it’s rare for kids in the same class to be ID’d as a close contact. Most of the quarantining stems from who is seated near the positive person at lunch. I’d imagine for summer camps that those housed together would be close contacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

The quarantine rules are tricky. Our school follows the full 14 day quarantine while DD's gym does 7 days with a negative test on day 5. And of course there is also the 10 day option. It seems that each school, camp, activity will set their own policy. Here is a link to the official CDC guidelines. Fully vaccinated contacts do not need to quarantine but I know our school hasn't changed their policy to reflect that for a household contact. That would still equal a 14 day quarantine for us. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...uarantine.html

Having a positive case in your own home gets even trickier as the quarantine starts on the last day of the positive person's 10 day isolation, so quarantine could be up to 24 days. I feel for you. DD was in quarantine twice in March and only went to 4 days of in-person school that month. Fortunately, she never tested positive or showed symptoms but we kept her strictly isolated from the boys and had plans to whisk them out of the house with DH if she did to avoid disrupting their schooling and sports.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At our school you only have to quarantine if you were unmasked and within 3 feet for 15+ minutes. However, I’m curious how they will ha for it come fall. Our governor announced that he’s lifting mask mandates on June 2. So now you have a while school with no masks potentially next fall. And we’re in an anti mask area so no one will wear them proactively. If there are no masks, it’s gonna be quarantining left and right assuming they do it properly and cases continue or resurge in kids. In general for things like summer camps or exposure at your DH’s work for example, he’d have to quarantine for 10 days any time he’s exposed. If someone in the house got it, then any unvaccinated person has to quarantine for 10 days after their last exposure to the one in the house. Vaccinated people with no symptoms don’t have to quarantine. Good luck! I feel so bad that you’re going through this.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Although distance guidelines in school changed to 3 feet, the close contact criteria is still 6 feet. So it just increases the number of kids who would have to quarantine if exposed (more than 15 cumulative minutes within 6 feet of positive person). At our school as soon as they went to 3 feet they had to quarantine 70 kids because of 2 kids that tested positive. I don’t know how the guidelines are changed with vaccinated people. But school is still 10 days of quarantine or you can test on day 5 after exposure and come back after negative test so that ends up being about 7 days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast