Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default rental car problems?

We are going to be in need of a rental minivan in a few weeks. I've heard multiple stories of people showing up and not having a rental car. Our rental is through Costco. Is it worth calling the rental agency beforehand to see if the vehicle is truly available, or would that just make us an annoying squeaky wheel?

I don't think it hurts to call the rental agency that day to assure a car is available. You are the customer, not an annoying squeaky wheel. We haven't ever had big problems but we always rent directly.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

With everything I've been reading about rental cars prices skyrocketing/the agencies selling off stock last year I'd be nervous about my rental as well and would definitely call to confirm. A friend and I were just talking about this last night, she had reserved back in March but we were wondering if she should go ahead and pay for her rental now just to make sure there's no possibility that the reservation gets canceled. Dh priced a rental for a upcoming trip at the end of June recently and the price was absurd (fortunately he doesn't need the car, just thought it would be nice to have).
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I actually opted not to take a trip this summer that required a rental due to that fear. I would definitely call day of to make sure you have a car and have some back up ideas in mind.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For others with rental car needs, I have heard Turo is a much cheaper option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    For others with rental car needs, I have heard Turo is a much cheaper option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I spend a fair amount on travel pages and seeing mixed experiences for people lately. I think Turo knows what the market can bear and prices are reflecting that demand. But, worth a look.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've rented cars in three states in the past two months via three different national agencies and have had no issues at all.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    We are going to be in need of a rental minivan in a few weeks. I've heard multiple stories of people showing up and not having a rental car. Our rental is through Costco. Is it worth calling the rental agency beforehand to see if the vehicle is truly available, or would that just make us an annoying squeaky wheel?
    We rent through Enterprise for my work and they are VERY low on cars in all of our national office locations. We just had a call about it. All their local-to-me branches are low (including the airport location) and the same is happening nationally.

They are also really clamping down on the service aspect too for most of our locations (they used to deliver, used to deliver night before, etc). All of that is on pause as they try to re-build their stock of cars. There simply aren't enough.

You can call, for sure, but they might not be able to tell you anything a few weeks out. I mean, they PLAN on having it for you, but if the prior renter just doesn't return it in time, and they have no back-up stock....

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I spend a fair amount on travel pages and seeing mixed experiences for people lately. I think Turo knows what the market can bear and prices are reflecting that demand. But, worth a look.
    Agreed, I know first hand someone who last week was quoted 900 by various companies and was able to book through Turo for 400. It's such a crazy time!

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have had this happen to multiple friends recently, where they show up at the car rental facility, and they have given away all of the cars, including the one my friend booked.

I don't think calling ahead will make much of a difference. They are going to keep giving away cars to the people standing at their counter with reservations in their hand. Not holding the car for the person on the phone with the reservation in their hand. Car rental agencies run similarly to airlines in that they deliberately overbook their sales. Which means, sometimes, someone gets screwed.

The best way to avoid showing up to a rental agency that has lines out the doors and waiting for hours only to find out they have given out their last cars is to not wait in the line at all. Pretty much all the major rental agencies have loyalty programs, which you can join for free. When booking as a loyalty member, you don't have to wait in line to get your car. They just tell you the parking spot number to go to, and your car is there with the keys. Skipping the line - and all those people potentially ahead of you - altogether.

When booking through Costco, make sure you enter your loyalty number there when finalizing your booking. If you have already booked your car, and you are not a loyalty member, I would suggest joining their loyalty program now and seeing if you can get the benefits retroactively applied to your booking. And if not, calling to see if they can do that for you.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast