Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default s/o WW or other calorie/food tracking app?

I would like to lose 5-10 pounds. I like the idea of WW (keeping track of points, saving extra points for special treats, zero point foods, no exercise required but bonus points for exercise) because I don't want restrictions on what I can eat (I love to eat almost anything!) but basically need a better awareness of what/how much I'm eating, and I don't have a regular exercise routine but perhaps I could be eased into it.

But I read a review that said WW was better for if you need to lose a lot of weight. I "only" weigh 130 now and I'm tallish at 5' 6" BUT I am REALLY thin-framed and naturally feel best at 120. The extra weight is definitely making me feel sluggish and not well and definitely also impacting how clothes fit. I just need to lose 5-10 pounds and develop healthier habits, so is it worth it? I would get the cheapest available plan which looks to be about $15/month for basically access to the app and digital coaches (I definitely do not want live coaches).

IF worked for me but VERY slowly (like, losing less than a pound every 2 months and then stalling) and I've since given up and gained it all back plus more.

I am OK with sloooow weight loss over a period of months if that is also contributing to developing healthier habits but need more accountability, I think.

Recommendations?

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I like my fitness pal. I am just using the free version. I found it really helped me to figure out appropriate serving sizes. I also will add my planned dinner earlier in the day so I can see how much buffer I have. It is good for making choices between dessert or a second helping, and motivates me to exercise to increase the calorie allotment. The weekly average is helpful too.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My Fitness Pal. Easy to use, has a big database of foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My fitness pal. You can add map my run and your Apple Watch also
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I've used both in different seasons of my life. WW works better for me when I'm not on any other eating plan. I'll usually aim for the 0 point foods - fruits, veggies, lean proteins. It feels healthy, not restrictive and it works. MFP is good for keeping a journal of what I'm eating and caloric intake.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I haven't used it in ages, but I would also go with MyFitnessPal. I wouldn't bother with paying for a service unless you had some sort of personal check-in /coaching.

for me, myfitnesspal is good bc you u can scan food in with the phone and the database is huge. I only had to do it for a month or so sometime several years back to get used to it and see results. for me, the mere act of logging food over some time was enough to get me to lose wt for a few months...bc by logging things I became more conscious of snacking and what I ate. sometimes I would want to snack, but then wouldn't bc then I'd have to log it and didn't want to bother. lol...I am certain that is a big part of how it works!

I've never used WW so I can't speak to that.i don't think it's geared for folks like you/me that don't have much weight to lose. I'm thinking it's more for folks who have 30+ lbs to lose and need a total lifestyle change.

what helped me is doing things like pure barre or yoga, and just general exercise (walking, biking, etc). I feel way better in general after exercise.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 05-15-2021 at 04:36 PM.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

MyFitnessPal. I use it for the exact same reason. I'm 5'9" and feel best at 140. I have been hovering between 145-150 here lately so I started using it again and the weight dropped fast. I find when I watch my calories, I don't need to eat nearly as much as I do. I even had 200 or so calories left most nights to have a sweet snack.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My fitness pal. It’s so easy to use. The barcode scanning option makes everything so much easier. It really allows you to eat what you want. If you can’t find exactly what you ate you can find something similar in the big database of food.

Plus I read that a study showed that even if you don’t cut down the amount you eat and simply track what you consume, most people lose some weight. Simply by cutting calories (mainly starches), eating 3 cups of fresh fruits and veggies each day and getting more sleep, I’ve lost 26 pounds over the last 8 months. It’s slow but steady. I hope you can get down to the weight you want.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely start with MyFitnessPal then...since it's free. And hopefully that works.

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely start with MyFitnessPal then...since it's free. And hopefully that works.
    Late to this, but wanted to say I like the Lose It app. it's free (you can upgrade to premium which has more features). It's similiar to MFP with the same kinds of features, but i just like Lose it better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast