Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Looking for a good credit card for college student...

I want my 19 year old daughter to get a credit card to start building credit.

Are there any particularly good ones for college kids?

Thank you for your help!!!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Do you have an American Express? I put my daughters (19 and 16) on my gold card as an extension. They will build credit because the cards are in their name but I still have control of them. I set a monthly limit on their cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I asked about this a few months back when DS got his license. We added DS as an authorized user to one of our cards. He’s 16 and needs to get gas, sometimes will pick up milk for us at grocery store, or go to In n Out. Only one of our cards would let us add him as an authorized user. We’re monitoring his use and put limits on what he can use it for. If he doesn’t follow the rules, he loses access to it and to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 05-16-2021 at 04:52 PM.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I got a $250 card from my credit union when I was 18 and had that limit until I transferred to a school 10 hours from home when I was a junior and then I ended up with $750. I needed more than $250 because plane tickets were $100-$200 or so round trip. I still only bought two to three round trips a year but the it was a good limit way back in 1997. I never maxed the card out because I knew I had to pay it off monthly.

At some point during my freshman year I also signed up for a Limited card and I probably had a $500 limit, and then had cards for Macy’s and Nordstrom by my senior year.

I would honestly keep the limit low like around $1000 so she doesn’t go overboard and she is able to pay it off monthly.

ETA: I had that original credit card until I moved out of the area and closed that credit union account in 2004. I think I may have had somewhere between $2500 and $5000, but I don’t remember. It was the one and only credit card I had that was issued by a credit union.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-17-2021 at 12:17 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We added DD to our Chase visa. It’s in her name and starts building credit.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wells Fargo had some options for students. We talked with them when we opened N's checking account. They have limits
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

As I was doing more research today, I found this article.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/cred...ollege-student
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I still have my Discover account that I opened in college. I've always liked them but I might steer my kid to a visa or mc so it's accepted more universally. Discover is accepted almost everywhere but I still run into occasional places that don't take it.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I still have my Discover account that I opened in college. I've always liked them but I might steer my kid to a visa or mc so it's accepted more universally. Discover is accepted almost everywhere but I still run into occasional places that don't take it.
    Me too! Discover is still my favorite card. I take advantage of cashback bonus when getting gift cards at gap/landsend/bbb etc that essentially gives me an extra 20% off. Love shopping for 'free'. : )

I opened a Bank of America Cash Rewards Mastercard account when my son started driving because it allowed me to have a 16 year old as an authorized user and had good benefits for gas purchases. I recently added my daughter who turned 16 this year. They use this card to keep gas in their cars and to make purchases for me (grocery run) and will use it as a backup/emergency card when they go to college.

My son will be getting Discover-It student sometime this summer for his personal use.