Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What precautions to take regarding contractors and ds not fully vaccinated?

So, I am finally at the point where my flooring/crawlspace work is going to be done next week (for anyone who read my posts about that). I scheduled it before the announcement about no masks needed for vaccinated people. Dd and I are fully vaccinated and ds got his first vaccine Saturday. I called the contracting company to ask what their policy would be regarding their contractors wearing masks in houses and they said they still intend to have them wear them. Of course, our health authority has not yet released their guidelines for businesses. Our governor "is complying with the CDC guidelines" so no mask mandate. That said, who knows what the contractors will do and if the business will be more lax on their policy when health authority announces their guidelines.

Both kids are still doing remote schooling. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to protect ds. I dont want to take the perspective that he's a kid, he will be fine if he gets Covid 19, as I am just not convinced especially given some of his risk factors. He can stay in his room while they are here; although they will be here full days, and then I can air out the house when they leave. I am actually considering renting an airbnb so we can feel free to do what we need to do during the day and come home at night (or not?). It could also make things easier for me, as long as there as good wifi, as I am still working from home. Issues with that are that I am worried the contractors may push back the job because 1) I ordered flooring and it may not come on time; I have already been told that 2)It seems fairly common that contractors do that around here. So, worried I will reserve something and those are not the days we need it. I could wait until the day before, and just hope I find an airbnb if that is what I want to do...but there are not a ton still left. I also think about renting an airbnb further away in a nice setting...but I may need to come back to check on the work...right?

I dont know a lot about how having this kind of work goes, so would love personal experiences. They will be opening my floor, going down to remove/put in insulation and vapor barrier, pulling back carpet in the adjoining room, fixing and dry wall rot, and eventually laying new vinyl in the kitchen. We are hoping to be able to keep the carpet in the living room, but there is a lot of unknown.

They are projecting they will work Tues-Fri and then Mon and Tues. I thought of pushing it out until ds is fully vaccinated, but I want the work done and this is the only company that actually ended up giving me an estimate (long story).

So, have ds stay in his room as much as possible and air out the house or do something more? I dont have any friends whose houses he can go to at this point that would be safer or that can accommodate him during the day. If he wasn't doing school he could also stay outside a lot of the time...and can still for part of the day..
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

When we have someone in the house to do work, they wear a mask. I’ve found that if I greet them at the door with a mask on, they will run back to their truck and put one on. Just keep your DS in his room and he can wear a mask if he needs to leave the room to get something. Depending on the weather, you can open windows in your house during or after. I really think that’s all you need to do. Unless the work is very loud, I wouldn’t rent an Airbnb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would have DS stay in his room as much as possible. It seems unlikely that he would need to be within 6 ft of them for any reason, and spread to another room would be very low probability. In addition, open your windows and let outside air circulate all day, not just at the end of the day. Depending on your HVAC set up and the weather, I would maybe turn it off and use fans in the window (this helps with dust containment too).

One other thought is to hang plastic sheeting over the entrance to the room they are working in (depends on your floorplan), which will help with any dust spreading as well.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    When we have someone in the house to do work, they wear a mask. I’ve found that if I greet them at the door with a mask on, they will run back to their truck and put one on. Just keep your DS in his room and he can wear a mask if he needs to leave the room to get something. Depending on the weather, you can open windows in your house during or after. I really think that’s all you need to do. Unless the work is very loud, I wouldn’t rent an Airbnb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I have done the same with contractors and masks (have had a lot out to look at what needed to be done), but now with the CDC changes, and contractors being here all day its not like I am going to watch them the whole time, it seems different. I think the work is expected to be loud, at least some of the days when they open the flooring up....I working on getting a hotspot so I can work in my office, but that doesnt help the kids...dd pretty much doesnt need to go to classes (senior with only one class and the teacher has told kids doing remote they dont need to attend), but ds does. I could work something out with teachers, but he would be upset. Anyway, as far as the loud and him, I figure we would deal with that as it happens.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have found that masking with contractors is not consistent. We live in a heavy mask mandate state, everyone is required to wear a mask (or where, things are changing fast) and I STILL had to constantly remind contractors to put their mask back on in the house. I was less strict with the guys replacing pipes in the basement, but those IN MY HOUSE (for less than an hour each) were not always compliant. It was infuriating. Especially when I told the scheduler that the contractor had to keep their mask on the entire time (after fighting with a different contractor) and then he took it off to create the bill. UGH!!!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If possible, I would have extra disposable masks on hand in case anyone "forgets" to bring one.

Just remind them that you have small children doing remote school in the house; most will respect that and wear masks. (I would say small child, even if they aren't that small. Those without kids will be more likely to listen. I would hope those with kids would no matter what.)

Do you have headphones for the kids? that might help with construction noise.

Good luck to you; glad you're getting it dealt with.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It really wouldn't stress me out to have even a non masked worker in another part of the house while ds was in another. Open up some windows. But, we have never had problems with workers wearing masks, at least while in my eyesight.
    I like your Airbnb idea though. You'll want to pop over in the AM to answer any questions/ ask any questions.

I would have your DS stay in his room while the work was done as much as possible. Open windows and increase ventilation throughout. DS wears a mask if he leaves his room. I've had to remind contractors and furniture delivery people to put on their masks but I find they comply better when all of us have them on.

The sound may become your biggest obstacle, especially if you are seeing people remotely (I think you are a therapist IIRC). You could do an AirBnB but don't book until you know for sure the work is happening. Does you DS have good noise-canceling headphones? I've also done meetings in my car, which is not ideal but possible if it's only a few sessions during the noisiest parts.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We've had contractors in our house, but really only for short periods of time. A few things to think of (and I think you can make this work while staying in your home):

Yes, ask them to wear a mask. We actually keep disposables in case a contractor doesn't have his/her own.

Will contractor be able to use a separate entrance (eg back door closest to where the work will be done)?

How much of the work area can be blocked off? Most contractors are sensitive to the fact that they will be creating a lot of dust, and will either offer or agree to seal off the area using zipper doors. Zipper doors can be taped/secured to floors and ceilings so if you don't have an existing doorway that you can use, keep this in mind.

Can they block off an area that encompasses that second entrance and that your DS doesn't need to access?

And then yes, try to keep him in his room while they are working but if they're able to zipper-door off the area and use a separate entrance, I'd say that's pretty safe.

note: if they have to use a bathroom in the home, I'd make that a bathroom that no one else uses until they are done. Ideally they don't use the bathroom in your home.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 05-17-2021 at 02:55 PM.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it would come down to whether you can do your sessions with the chaos. If you can work, I would stay put and save the money. If the construction will interfere with your work, I think the rental is a good fix. I wouldn’t worry about your exposure while they’re working. Open windows, everyone inside wears a mask, keep your family away from workers as much as possible and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast