Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Haven’t read the whole post, but a friend’s DS (13) has been in the hospital a week with myocarditis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Haven’t read the whole post, but a friend’s DS (13) has been in the hospital a week with myocarditis.

Ooh. Wow. That's a couple of real life acquaintances of people here on the BBB. That's certainly concerning. DS2 is done and vaccinated without event now and I guess we were lucky! This will be something to watch for sure.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post

I hope he recovers fully. Just out of curiosity, do you know if he had covid before?

I find myself thinking about this a lot. Is it the shot causing it solely or is something in the body recognizing that spike and attacking it because it was in the body before? Hopefully they'll figure this out soon.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There is a lot of mis-use of VAERS going on out there, not saying it's not happening but lots to wade through.
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...s-scare-public

My 17-yo and most of her friends had the vaccine with no issues. Our county is at 74% of the population with one dose, have heard of 6 cases of myocarditis in the whole state, lots of 12-17 year-olds being vaccinated in my county (21% already have one dose).

Our hospitals are finding <1% of current COVID hospitalizations are in people who have been vaccinated. Turning the corner hopefully.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS2 had his 2nd dose of Pfizer today. We'll see how it goes. I thought of delaying until after the CDC (?) advisory meet on Friday that someone mentioned above, but we're flying on July 2nd and the only way for him to be 2 weeks past his 2nd dose is to get it by this Friday and I figure there probably won't be any announcements or new recommendations by then anyways. With flying and sleepaway camp coming up, for us it made sense to get it now. I'm pushing fluids/Gatorade and will keep an eye out for anything. DH had pericarditis when I was pregnant with DS2 and DS1's good friend just had myocarditis 2 months ago (pre-vaccine) so I think we have a good grasp on what to look out for.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...LJ72NKLLDVYC4/
    Except the reporting states she had a viral infection (non-Covid) that caused the initial heart problems, rather than the vaccine.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...LJ72NKLLDVYC4/
    Except the reporting states she had a viral infection (non-Covid) that caused the initial heart problems, rather than the vaccine.
    I do hope one of the silver linings of this pandemic is we get a better handle on post-viral syndromes. There are a lot of them out there, but the numbers aren’t huge. One of the last syndromes that had a lot of experts were post-polio syndrome. Because of vaccines these huge outbreaks have been controlled, so we have the less frequent conditions we are trying to get a handle on. Guillian Barre, which I’ve had several work related experiences with, is often linked to some vaccines, but it’s much more common after having a virus. (Still very rare.) These myocarditis cases might be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I do hope one of the silver linings of this pandemic is we get a better handle on post-viral syndromes.
    Me, too! When DS was in first grade he came down with Henoch-Schonlein purpura after getting a cold. It was really scary. At its worse he could barely walk. DH had to carry him to the ER. I will spare details, but it also attacked his lungs. There were times he couldn't stop coughing and got kicked out of class numerous times because of it. (This lasted for many months so it wasn't like we could just keep him out of school.) At any rate, in talking to the school nurse, she said it was normally very rare but three boys in the school came down with it at the same time. It was definitely eye opening.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I do hope one of the silver linings of this pandemic is we get a better handle on post-viral syndromes. There are a lot of them out there, but the numbers aren’t huge. One of the last syndromes that had a lot of experts were post-polio syndrome. Because of vaccines these huge outbreaks have been controlled, so we have the less frequent conditions we are trying to get a handle on. Guillian Barre, which I’ve had several work related experiences with, is often linked to some vaccines, but it’s much more common after having a virus. (Still very rare.) These myocarditis cases might be the same.
    Excellent point — maybe some of the ID researchers and clinicians will turn their attention to post-viral syndromes, both COVID and others. Most of the post-polio syndrome folks are aging out or already gone. I have a neighbor at my CCRC whose post-polio symptoms were recognized fairly early but my impression is that she’s had a continuing challenge finding knowledgeable health care. And I remember Guillian Barre was once the subject of frequent PSAs (my DC continues to avoid aspirin!) but a lot of younger parents may not be as aware of it.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast