Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Myocarditis post vaccination

Seems to be a potentially serious side effect that can effect adolescents and well as young adults, mostly male.

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/
    K

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This was discussed in the other thread, but right now the number of cases does not seem to be higher than would normally be expected in this population. They say that in the article you linked, but buried it pretty deep in there. They also mention that myocarditis is a known complication of COVID infection.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

They’ve been looking at it in Israel for awhile. I’ve also read in many articles that the number of cases they are seeing is not above the normal number expected for this age range in general, like PP said. We do know that covid has caused a lot of myocarditis in this population, as a side effect. My son had a ton of tests ran when he passed out earlier this year because they wanted to rule out myocarditis from covid as a cause. The dr said they’re even seeing a lot of it in asymptomatic cases.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think this will be something to watch and I'm glad they're tracking everything.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's definitely something to watch (which they're doing). I think it's going to be super messy to dissect. So many kids and probably young adults have had asymptomatic or mild covid infections that may not have been verified, and separating out vaccine effects from effects due to prior infection is going to be...super messy.

I'm not alarmed yet...but will definitely be watching. One of my DDs has a mild mitral valve insufficiency so I definitely want to see what they're able to figure out. My kids also have had virtually zero chance for prior covid exposure so if they have a vaccine side effect, I could 99.8% confidently say it was due to the vaccine and not due to prior infection.

We will stay tuned. We plan to move forward with dose #2 as scheduled unless something more concerning is determined.

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Myocarditis is scary and I am glad they are tracking it. My father had myocarditis as a side effect of an enterovirus when he was 41 and I was 9 years old. His heart swelled up 3 times normal size and his heart function was below 10% when he finally sought medical attention. He ended up having a heart transplant (1st of 2 heart transplants before he passed away at 46 years old.).

That said, my boys who are 12 and 15 years old both have had their first covid vaccine and will get their second shot next week. This will definitely be something I will keep an eye out for symptoms of after their final shots, but I don't think I will be excessively concerned about it.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Once vaccinated is it possible to detect a past COVID infection with an antibody test??? Is there any way to know if the antibodies are from infection or the vaccine?

Too late for me and my half vax’d kids, but kind of makes me want an antibody test prior to vaccination to know for sure. I do think there are a lot of kids within unknown COVID infections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Once vaccinated is it possible to detect a past COVID infection with an antibody test??? Is there any way to know if the antibodies are from infection or the vaccine?

Too late for me and my half vax’d kids, but kind of makes me want an antibody test prior to vaccination to know for sure. I do think there are a lot of kids within unknown COVID infections.

That's part of where it gets tricky. Both the vaccine as well as natural infection will generate antibodies against the spike protein, specifically the receptor binding domain of the spike protein. However, a natural infection should also generate antibodies against other parts of the spike protein and the nucleocapsid. Only an antibody test that can specifically detect antibodies generated against non-RBD portions of the spike protein or the nucleocapsid would indicate prior natural infection.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know the answer to your question (I'm guessing no, but I have no idea), but did want to mention that when we took DS in for passing out the doctor told us that is she ran an antibody test it would only tell her if he had had a type of coronavirus. So he could have had a past "cold coronavirus" but the test came back positive and not actual Covid. She told me if it was negative it was negative, but if it wasn't positive it was only positive for any type of coronavirus. She said places like the Red Cross were running more specialized tests that were specifically for Covid-19 antibodies but not the one the medical group ran. I didn't really fully understand why they couldn't run the specific one, but we decided not to do it since all we were looking for was a past covid infection that could have caused heart issues.

You have a great point though. Maybe these people had a past covid infection and didn't know it and that's what the myocarditis is from. It would be useful to know these things before covid shots so we could rule out/confirm the cause being from the shot.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can’t interpret farther than this but when I donated blood I got a reactive result on the antibody test. It was always negative before. This is the explanation they give with the difference between positive and reactive.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...t-details.html

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast