Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    YES you're both totally right and thank you for setting me straight!! I completely failed to think through the denominator and both of those articles are great! It does make me feel better. Though it doesn't change me wanting to mask in crowds at Disneyland.
    Heck yes I don't blame you. I am glad the odds were corrected because I'll admit I was freaking out a bit. Even so, I always say "even though I trust the vaccine is pretty effective it doesn't mean I want to test it like every day (especially in healthcare!) Our area only have a vaccination rate of like mid-30s% so I definitely wore a mask in to Walgreens today when I had to run in to grab a gift card. (I was the only one wearing one besides one employee and I can guarantee that probably maybe 20% of the people inside were vaxed...)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Heck yes I don't blame you. I am glad the odds were corrected because I'll admit I was freaking out a bit. Even so, I always say "even though I trust the vaccine is pretty effective it doesn't mean I want to test it like every day (especially in healthcare!) Our area only have a vaccination rate of like mid-30s% so I definitely wore a mask in to Walgreens today when I had to run in to grab a gift card. (I was the only one wearing one besides one employee and I can guarantee that probably maybe 20% of the people inside were vaxed...)
    I was also freaking out a bit! Our area has been sitting at 33% fully vaxed for the last few weeks, with only 3% more having their first shot. I tried to go into Walmart without a mask on last week and about 50 yards inside the door quickly pulled my mask out and put it on. No way was the whole store vaccinated. There was a lot of people inside and very few masking. My friend is a respiratory therapist at the hospital, and she told me she's getting worried about the Delta variant.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Im in NY and we are at 70% vaccinated with at least first dose. But when you dig into the numbers that’s mainly people 65+. Vax rate for 45 and under is something like 40%. So you have this false sense of security thinking your state is basically at herd immunity but it depends where you go. Are you at an outdoor concert in the park when some Beach Boys cover band? Your good. At a crowded 20 something bar…nope not a chance. That’s why I hate that Cuomo rolled back all of our restrictions. The data is misleading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Im in NY and we are at 70% vaccinated with at least first dose. But when you dig into the numbers that’s mainly people 65+. Vax rate for 45 and under is something like 40%. So you have this false sense of security thinking your state is basically at herd immunity but it depends where you go. Are you at an outdoor concert in the park when some Beach Boys cover band? Your good. At a crowded 20 something bar…nope not a chance. That’s why I hate that Cuomo rolled back all of our restrictions. The data is misleading.

This is a really good point! I think the statistics on California are similar. Thankfully most people are still wearing their masks at the store. I went to get my hair done for the first time in a year, and they made clients wait outside until their appointment and masks were required. It seems like many places are still following restrictions despite Newsom saying all restrictions are lifted.

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Out of curiosity, how many of you are still masking for indoor stuff? It's still hard for me to not feel the need to mask up for indoor shopping. Around here I'd say about 50% of people are still masking in stores and almost all employees, at least at Target and Aldi where I do most of my shopping. I know the vaccines are highly effective but I don't trust that everyone else walking around without a mask has been vaccinated and with the Delta variant gaining speed in the US, it just feels smarter to keep using precautions in public areas inside. We were at the NJ shore last week and it seemed less people masking there the few times I ran into a store. DH made plans to meet up for drinks with an acquaintance through work who happened to be there the same time we were. It felt super weird going into the restaurant without a mask! Granted the people we sat with were vaccinated, but the whole restaurant was maskless so I was a bit on edge the whole time we were there. Much more comfortable when we did outdoor seating at restaurants the rest of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post

I disagree that the data is misleading. I live in NY and have been keeping an eye on new infections, hospitalizations and deaths and all of these numbers in NY are fantastic and the lowest they have been since March 2020. Given the vaccination rate and the rate of natural infection in NY, it is extremely unlikely that any person would get COVID in NY right now but a vaccinated person is at extraordinarily tiny risk now. A deep dive into the data is very reassuring.
    DD '06
    DD '14

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Masking indoor here! Just left Disney where 1/2 of our visit still had indoor masking for vaccinated people, but who knows if people really are! Thank goodness our youngest (who had one shot) didn’t go inside much. Employees were still masked.

We won’t be going inside many stores, but we will be masked when we have to! Delta is scary.

I'm still masking indoors and MA has a very high vaccination rate. There are many shoppers and employees without masks now in stores. It was quite nerve wracking shopping a few weeks ago around people without masks but I'm getting more used to it now.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

We wear masks inside any time we have the kids with us since they are too young for vaccines. And in select other situations. I don’t wear one to go to the grocery store alone because I don’t spend more than a maximum of a couple of minutes anywhere near another person. I am not worried about someone I walk past in a aisle. I do wear them when I wait for the kids to do swim lessons since I am sitting indoors next to other people (they space the chairs as much as possible, so it isn’t really that close) for 30 minutes at a time. I have not flown anywhere yet, but would wear one of my KF94 masks the entire flight if I needed to fly.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by vludmilla View Post
    I disagree that the data is misleading. I live in NY and have been keeping an eye on new infections, hospitalizations and deaths and all of these numbers in NY are fantastic and the lowest they have been since March 2020. Given the vaccination rate and the rate of natural infection in NY, it is extremely unlikely that any person would get COVID in NY right now but a vaccinated person is at extraordinarily tiny risk now. A deep dive into the data is very reassuring.
    I’m in NY. I was on a call with my attorney last week and could hear her kids running around in the background. She apologized and said they were home because her unvaccinated child had just tested positive for Covid. I didn’t ask for specifics on how they caught it. I have no idea what precautions they were taking prior to the positive test.

OP - we’ll continue to mask until my youngest is vaccinated. We mask when indoors or in crowds. We are very often the lone maskers. I’m ok with it. I would be more comfortable ditching masks if we were all vaccinated. We don’t mask if we’re hiking or biking on our own or with another family unless that family is more cautious than we are.
    Last edited by jgenie; 06-20-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast