Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3isEnough View Post
    I really need to read up on this. My 15yo has heart issues (bicuspid aortic valve and aortic dilitation) and will need heart surgery in the next few years. He had covid sometime during the last year (we found out in Feb that he has antibodies) and just received his first covid vaccine last week. I’m concerned both due to his heart issues and because he already had covid, so I have some reading to do before his next vaccine dose.
    What does his cardiologist say? I'm just curious to hear an opinion from someone in the field.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I saw this Tracy Hoeg comment on a post from YLE and spent a few min looking into her. I'm not so sure about here, to be honest. Her posts on FB seemed a bit one-sided and she's no longer on that platform (not that that says anything really). She's not a cardiologist or an infectious disease expert or an immunologist...she has a degree in epidemiology but I don't feel like her posts acknowledge some of the caveats of the data...she seems to like to take numbers and just crunch them.

I'm not saying she's not right, and there may actually be a link between the vaccine and myocarditis...I'm just not really convinced about the way she goes about her arguments.

Interested in seeing how this data all plays out...
    I'm not saying she's wrong either, but I don't feel like she's giving me much to really believe her. It looks like she advocates no masks in schools, which doesn't seem very logical to me right now. I do think there's a chance it's vaccine related, since we know viruses causes myocarditis. We go to the pediatric cardiologist next week. I'm planning on asking him what he thinks. Our family doctor said the amount of myocarditis they're seeing in this age group post covid infection, is much higher than what they've seen so far post vaccine.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I saw this Tracy Hoeg comment on a post from YLE and spent a few min looking into her. I'm not so sure about here, to be honest. Her posts on FB seemed a bit one-sided and she's no longer on that platform (not that that says anything really). She's not a cardiologist or an infectious disease expert or an immunologist...she has a degree in epidemiology but I don't feel like her posts acknowledge some of the caveats of the data...she seems to like to take numbers and just crunch them.

I'm not saying she's not right, and there may actually be a link between the vaccine and myocarditis...I'm just not really convinced about the way she goes about her arguments.

Interested in seeing how this data all plays out...
    Just today a friend shared an article in wapo written by Hoeg, where she vehemently tried to make a case for why masks are not required for kids in schools anymore. The friend that shared it is a md so it gets a bit tricky if I just don’t share the view! Thanks and nice to hear that moms here on BBB feel the same way about this stance for no masks. Sorry for the digression on this thread. I’m anxiously reading all posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Myocarditis post vaccination

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    Just today a friend shared an article in wapo written by Hoeg, where she vehemently tried to make a case for why masks are not required for kids in schools anymore. The friend that shared it is a md so it gets a bit tricky if I just don’t share the view! Thanks and nice to hear that moms here on BBB feel the same way about this stance for no masks. Sorry for the digression on this thread. I’m anxiously reading all posts.

Thanks. I follow a few folks that are disgusted with how schools failed children this year. Some of those folks have wandered into the anti mask space. I do think it’s crazy that kids are wearing masks at recess but obviously I’m a proponent of masks otherwise. Here is the piece below. It seems quite reasonable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

Last edited by Kindra178; 05-28-2021 at 09:15 AM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I definitely think there needs to be a return to some semblance of normal for kids not old enough to be vaccinated. I struggle with this one because the virus will keep mutating as long as it's spreading, but it IS true that the younger kids especially do very well when it comes to natural covid infection. I also think there's a lot of unreported asymptomatic/mild infection among younger schoolchildren, and not acknowledging this caveat of the data on confirmed covid cases/transmissions in school in order to make a case for "no masks in school" is a little irresponsible.

I think that unvaccinated kids need to keep their masks on indoors to continue to mitigate spread until we can get a larger proportion of the population vaccinated but that is totally do-able for the purposes of school. Our district has been open in person all year with masked kids and generally low (documented) cases and the vast majority of these kids adapt very well to mask wearing in school. I agree masks not needed outside for recess or PE. I agree that vaccinated teachers can ditch the masks. And I agree schools need to be open in person. If unvaccinated kids can keep masks on in school through fall/winter flu season and to allow more of the community to get vaccinated and for us to get a better feel for variant spread, that would be AMAZING. That would also help out those high-risk kids to also be able to return safely to school. Those are my opinions.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I definitely think there needs to be a return to some semblance of normal for kids not old enough to be vaccinated. I struggle with this one because the virus will keep mutating as long as it's spreading, but it IS true that the younger kids especially do very well when it comes to natural covid infection. I also think there's a lot of unreported asymptomatic/mild infection among younger schoolchildren, and not acknowledging this caveat of the data on confirmed covid cases/transmissions in school in order to make a case for "no masks in school" is a little irresponsible.

I think that unvaccinated kids need to keep their masks on indoors to continue to mitigate spread until we can get a larger proportion of the population vaccinated but that is totally do-able for the purposes of school. Our district has been open in person all year with masked kids and generally low (documented) cases and the vast majority of these kids adapt very well to mask wearing in school. I agree masks not needed outside for recess or PE. I agree that vaccinated teachers can ditch the masks. And I agree schools need to be open in person. If unvaccinated kids can keep masks on in school through fall/winter flu season and to allow more of the community to get vaccinated and for us to get a better feel for variant spread, that would be AMAZING. That would also help out those high-risk kids to also be able to return safely to school. Those are my opinions.
    I agree with all of this. My DH is a physician in a pediatric sub-speciality and has been dealing with lots of Covid related kids issues, more so now than at the beginning of the pandemic. He has taken care of a lot of kids with MIS-C and many never knew they had Covid to begin with and many were quite sick. Even the ones that weren't had a big disruption to their lives bc they are out of sports/physical activities for at least 3 months.

For what its worth, DH is not an alarmist (professionally or personally) and we have taken a balanced approach with our kids at this point- they are back in school full time and playing sports and playing with friends outside, but definitely still taking precautions like masking and not socializing indoors or dining in restaurants with our kids bc they are not vaccinated. We are definitely hoping masking at school (when indoors) will continue for kids until they are able to get vaccinated.

Our oldest has had the 1st shot and will get the 2nd next week. DH's feeling on the post vax myocarditis is that it is a very low number and not known whether it is related or not. He has seen many more kids with myocarditis from Covid and that is known link at this point.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree with all these points. I also just don't think masks are that big a deal so we should keep them indoors and when someone makes the argument to ditch them I give serious side eye. I mean, all the other points are great but this stance is so discordant. I hope other pediatricians and cardiologists will weigh in on the myocarditis issue.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    I agree with all of this. My DH is a physician in a pediatric sub-speciality and has been dealing with lots of Covid related kids issues, more so now than at the beginning of the pandemic. He has taken care of a lot of kids with MIS-C and many never knew they had Covid to begin with and many were quite sick. Even the ones that weren't had a big disruption to their lives bc they are out of sports/physical activities for at least 3 months.

For what its worth, DH is not an alarmist (professionally or personally) and we have taken a balanced approach with our kids at this point- they are back in school full time and playing sports and playing with friends outside, but definitely still taking precautions like masking and not socializing indoors or dining in restaurants with our kids bc they are not vaccinated. We are definitely hoping masking at school (when indoors) will continue for kids until they are able to get vaccinated.

Our oldest has had the 1st shot and will get the 2nd next week. DH's feeling on the post vax myocarditis is that it is a very low number and not known whether it is related or not. He has seen many more kids with myocarditis from Covid and that is known link at this point.
    Thank you for sharing. This is pretty much where we are with DS2 who is 9. DS1 will get his second shot next week so I'm not too worried about him. We let DS2 play outside with friends, but we're still masking if indoors and not socializing or eating in restaurants. It makes me feel better that others are doing this as well. In my area, it's a free for all and parents are annoyed my kid can't come inside to play.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ds is 15 and getting his second Pfizer vaccine in a little over a week. I want to make sure I know which symptoms to watch out for in term of potential Myocarditis; I understand its not very common and we are definitely going forward with the vaccine, just want to keep my eyes open for potential concerns. Ds has some health anxiety, so its going to be tough as I normally would not ask him too much about symptoms as that can create anxiety for him. Anyway, I read this in an article that quoted one of the teens who developed Myocarditis and would love any other info people have.

“I felt like my chest was really tight and my throat was really swollen up, like my lymph nodes and neck,” Morud said. “I was winded just standing up from a sitting position,” he said

ETA: found some good info in this article
    https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/old-lyme-teen-shares-story-of-heart-problems-2nd-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine/2495436/
    Last edited by JustMe; 05-28-2021 at 12:43 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Thank you for sharing. This is pretty much where we are with DS2 who is 9. DS1 will get his second shot next week so I'm not too worried about him. We let DS2 play outside with friends, but we're still masking if indoors and not socializing or eating in restaurants. It makes me feel better that others are doing this as well. In my area, it's a free for all and parents are annoyed my kid can't come inside to play.
    This is our experience as well. DS2 and his friends are unvaccinated. All his friends are back to life as normal.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast