Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

I just listened to the most recent TWIV podcast clinical update this morning. It included a question/answer about this very topic, including delaying the second shot. It may be helpful for anyone grapping with the decision for their own DS. (Spoiler - Dr. Griffin feels comfortable giving his teenage son the second shot and gives his reasoning.)
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    Yes, I read that one as well. I think it is worth more investigation and that in the end the true rate may be higher than background for certain populations. However, in the end there will need to be a holistic risk assessment, not just picking from a false dichotomy of "risk of this one event if you vaccinate vs. this one possible outcome if you get COVID".
    That's a good point. I find nuance completely lacking in most discussions these days, at least the ones people try to have with me.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I just listened to the most recent TWIV podcast clinical update this morning. It included a question/answer about this very topic, including delaying the second shot. It may be helpful for anyone grapping with the decision for their own DS. (Spoiler - Dr. Griffin feels comfortable giving his teenage son the second shot and gives his reasoning.)
    Not only this but also (and please correctly if I misheard this!) the incidences of myocarditis resolve within a matter of days and treatment with OTC NSAIDs.

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son’s friend was just diagnosed with this last Friday. It was a few days after his second dose. My own son is still not old enough. (Friend is a 12 yr old male).

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Not only this but also (and please correctly if I misheard this!) the incidences of myocarditis resolve within a matter of days and treatment with OTC NSAIDs.
    One of the articles I was reading mentioned that the incidence of myocarditis in the UK is less than in the US an Israel. They were theorizing that it might possibly have to do with waiting longer to have the second dose. I think they said 12 weeks vs. 3 here. If that pans out to be true, I'd rather delay than risk myocarditis that may or may not resolve.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was just reading a few articles and the people who got myocarditis after the first dose had known covid cases in those articles. I wonder if there's any chance that these people getting myocarditis after the second dose had asymptotic cases and the third introduction of it to their body was enough to trigger this big inflammation reaction. The military has 14 reported cases after shots and 11 were with Moderna, 3 with Pfizer. One was after the first shot and that person had a previously known case of covid. I think there are so many possibilities of what could be causing it. I hope they figure out if it's related and if it is, what exactly is the trigger.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So I have not read the info out of Israel yet. What is the frequency of girls developing this complication? Most of what I’ve read in the US cases is that it is more likely in boys. My girls both got their second shot today, watching them both closely this week for symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    So I have not read the info out of Israel yet. What is the frequency of girls developing this complication? Most of what I’ve read in the US cases is that it is more likely in boys. My girls both got their second shot today, watching them both closely this week for symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think what I read about Israel is that it mostly affected "young men" ages 16-24.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS is 15, had asymptomatic Covid back in late November. He had his second Pfizer shot this afternoon. First one no issues. Will see how this one goes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Saw this article and thought it explained why they are recommending the shot well.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/13/healt...ers/index.html

I also read another article that I can't find the link to now that said some doctors think that many of these increased cases are not related to the vaccine, but to the fact that there is a big increase in cases of the viruses that are known to cause myocarditis. They think this is because teens and young people are out and about more and not taking the precautions like they should. Because we aren't masking like we did, these cases of other viruses are growing and this is a population known to see more myocarditis. They said because numbers are still low (thought higher than expected) it could be these viruses are causing it and it's just a coincidence that it's happening around the time of the shot. It's an interesting theory. Regardless of what they find, I've learned a lot about the condition and know what to watch for. I have two boys and had no idea they were at a higher risk for this condition in general.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast