Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    I reread this timely thread for us, yesterday DD had to miss swim practice since less than an hour before swimming she got her periods. We were planning for her to try tampons and thought we had time since she had her last 2 weeks ago. Anyways, after trying she failed to get them in and was in tears that she failed at it.
    I’m at a loss how to help since I’ve never been able to wear a tampon myself.

Also my question is, are cups any better or easier? If so, which one do you recommend? Also DD has watched YouTube videos but of anyone has a link to any video that explains better please share it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    What kind of tampons did you try? Don’t get cardboard applicator or no applicator time to start. There’s a time and place for plastic and this is a good one. Did she try the lite ones (smallest)? Get some of the Tampa Pearl ones, if you didn’t.
    I think a cup is a lot harder to get right.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I reread this timely thread for us, yesterday DD had to miss swim practice since less than an hour before swimming she got her periods. We were planning for her to try tampons and thought we had time since she had her last 2 weeks ago. Anyways, after trying she failed to get them in and was in tears that she failed at it.

Also my question is, are cups any better or easier? If so, which one do you recommend? Also DD has watched YouTube videos but of anyone has a link to any video that explains better please share it.

TMI but until I had my second kid they couldn't use the regular speculum because it was too big. The Playtex Sport tampons are the only ones I've ever been able to use with no issues, even before kids. Maybe she could try those?

OP - I also recommend Cora pads if you're still looking. I can't use the plasticky kind either without irritation. Always are especially bad. I have no issues with the Cora pads.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just wanted to thank the OP and posters on this thread. I’ve been following for dd who got her period fir the first time in January. She missed her swim certification test on Wednesday because she got her period and she says the first day is pretty heavy usually. Fortunately she is still certified fir the next month because she has a canoe trip this weekend. After reading this thread, I ordered some swim bottoms and underwear from the website KT by Knix. They arrived yesterday and look well-made. Thank you for whoever recommended them (cant find the post now with the link). I think she is going to try swimming with this in our pool today so I’ll let you know her thoughts about them.

Eta- we looked for tampons at target the other day and are going to try the Tampax Pearl in the “light” size which is the smallest i could find. If they exist smaller in another brand, please let me know!
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 06-18-2021 at 10:57 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Help!! Tweens, periods, swimming...

I picked up Tampax pearl multi pack with plastic applicator at the grocery store since I was in a rush and asked her to use the light one. She walked out of the bathroom 10 mins later in tears saying the bathroom looks like a war zone and she failed to get it in. I’m going to confirm she tried the light one since is wanting to try again today. She is really determined to get it working!

Thanks for the playtex sport recommendation, I’ll pick that up for her to try. And based on this thread, we got the Cora pads and DD likes them.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I picked up Tampax pearl multi pack with plastic applicator at the grocery store since I was in a rush and asked her to use the light one. She walked out of the bathroom 10 mins later in tears saying the bathroom looks like a war zone and she failed to get it in. I’m going to confirm she tried the light one since is wanting to try again today. She is really determined to get it working!

Thanks for the playtex sport recommendation, I’ll pick that up for her to try. And based on this thread, we got the Cora pads and DD likes them.

I hope it gets better!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wore tampons as a teen, the old cardboard Tampax ones- yuck!

I switched to a CUP after folks on the car-seat board and this board showed me the light! So life changing, HOWEVER, I don't recommend them for a teen who is struggling with a tampon.

Here's what DD did when she was 11.

We took a tampon out of the box, examined, it played with the applicator to see how hard/soft you had to push to get it to go in (yes it was thrown out after).

She looked up YOUTUBE videos, they were very helpful.

We went into the bathroom together (if she's shy can you go behind a shower curtain), she put her foot up on the toilet which helped. I talked her through it, (you could just be reassuring if you can't give specific advice), but honestly, the videos are super helpful as is a dry run without trying to insert it.

Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I wore tampons as a teen, the old cardboard Tampax ones- yuck!

I switched to a CUP after folks on the car-seat board and this board showed me the light! So life changing, HOWEVER, I don't recommend them for a teen who is struggling with a tampon.

Here's what DD did when she was 11.

We took a tampon out of the box, examined, it played with the applicator to see how hard/soft you had to push to get it to go in (yes it was thrown out after).

She looked up YOUTUBE videos, they were very helpful.

We went into the bathroom together (if she's shy can you go behind a shower curtain), she put her foot up on the toilet which helped. I talked her through it, (you could just be reassuring if you can't give specific advice), but honestly, the videos are super helpful as is a dry run without trying to insert it.

Good luck!!!
    This is helpful. Dd said she tried the light Tampax pearls we bought the other day and couldn’t get them in. Maybe I’ll suggest the YouTube videos and the other ideas here. I don’t think she’s that dedicated to the idea of tampons though. Maybe as she matures a little she will try again.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    This is helpful. Dd said she tried the light Tampax pearls we bought the other day and couldn’t get them in. Maybe I’ll suggest the YouTube videos and the other ideas here. I don’t think she’s that dedicated to the idea of tampons though. Maybe as she matures a little she will try again.
    In addition to videos, I have seen a lot of recommendations for putting a small amount of lubricant on the end of the applicator to make insertion easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    In addition to videos, I have seen a lot of recommendations for putting a small amount of lubricant on the end of the applicator to make insertion easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I suggested she put some Vaseline on the end so it didn’t feel so dry and scratchy. She looked at me like I had 2 heads and said maybe she’d try it again. She didn’t tell me much more.

On a positive note, she wore the new Knix swim bottoms for about 7 hours in and out of the pool hanging out with friends and said they did a great job with her period which was light yesterday. I bought her the boyshort swim bottoms. She’s wearing another pair canoeing for 6 hours today.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Yes, I suggested she put some Vaseline on the end so it didn’t feel so dry and scratchy. She looked at me like I had 2 heads and said maybe she’d try it again. She didn’t tell me much more.

On a positive note, she wore the new Knix swim bottoms for about 7 hours in and out of the pool hanging out with friends and said they did a great job with her period which was light yesterday. I bought her the boyshort swim bottoms. She’s wearing another pair canoeing for 6 hours today.
    So glad they're working for her and she's able to enjoy playing in the water this summer!
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast