Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Help!! Tweens, periods, swimming...

One of my tweens just got her period. She's not quite 13. She's SUPER annoyed about it, especially coming up into summer when there will likely be more playdates and swimming.

What do I do about swimming?? I don't know what the options are out there in terms of tampons or cups or things that a tween could learn to use. She also has some mobility issues with her forearms, so can't twist her wrists certain ways, which might complicate things...so she really will need "easy to use".

Also want to get her some period underwear for extra security at school and overnight...is Thinx still the way to go or are there other brands for tweens out there now?

YIKES I WAS NOT READY.

eta: period undies for tweens that actually have full back protection? I'm only seeing undies that have protection where a regular pad would cover...but when I was a teen I had the most problems with back leaks especially while sleeping. Absorbency doesn't need to go all the way up the back but it would be nice to have something that was liquid resistant all the way up the back.

etaa: recommendations for pad brands that are soft/not plasticky without all the yucky chemicals?
    Last edited by twowhat?; 05-27-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like Knix; the styles really look like normal underwear.

There are period bathing suits too.

Tampons all the way. DD started with the pearl light ones. She’s a competitive swimmer so tampons were used on day 1. Less than 24 hours after she got her period, she had to swim the 1000 free at a swim meet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I’ll be following this blog. When I first got my period, I couldn’t use tampons. They hurt like he11 going in and never felt comfortable no matter which kind I tried. Pads were the only other solution so I just avoided going in the water when I had my period.

What other solutions are there now? There weren’t the plastic applicators that exist now. Back in my day, the stone ages, there were just those horrible cardboard applicators.

OP, I had stocked a few different sizes of pads under my daughters’ sink and told her what they were and that when the time came, I’d show her how to use them. She apparently figured it out on her own because she told me 4 months ago, “oh, by the way, mom I got my period last week.” But I had forgotten about periods and pools so now at least I can talk to her about that. She is so independent!!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Went through this last summer. DD had first period kit from Lola which had a variety of sizes of pads and tampons. Before a trip to pool I sort of demonstrated fully clothed the way I insert a tampon. The Lola kit also had instructions. Then I just left her alone. She said she figured it out but did not spend much time in the pool that day. Now, a year later she just asked for more tampons because she is doing swim team so hopefully it’s more comfortable for her now.

I think for tweens the only options are tampons, period swimsuits (There are a few brands) or using nothing (depending on flow). I did read while looking into options for DD that because of the pressure the water provides, there often is not a flow while in a pool.

For me as a tween managing my period became a whole lot easier when I started using tampons so I wanted to encourage DD to use them.

ETA: DD uses Thinx at night. We had a lot of leaks and stains before & Thinx has resolved that.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 05-25-2021 at 10:52 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Tampons. And Thinx sells an exclusive, much cheaper, line online at Target so start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD1 got her period when she was twelve and within a month or two was using tampons. I bought a few smaller boxes of different brands so she could decide what she liked best. I took one out of the package and showed her how the applicator works, talk through where to put it and how (angles and such), how to remove, how often to remove, how to dispose (not in the toilet!). She took it from there and never had a problem and never asked me any questions. I have offered to buy her a cup, but she doesn't want to deal with.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Plastic applicator tampons in "slender" fits until she gets the hang of things are probably best for learning - the plastic glides better than cardboard, so it's easier to insert in the correct position.

Although your note about her wrist/forearm concerns, OP, does give me pause because it can be a little tricky to push the "plunger" bit, I hate recommending something like o.b. to a new-to-periods tween - the idea of using applicator-free tampons horrified me until I hit college and I appreciated the easier portability/hide-ability of applicator-free vs applicator tampons. (But, if she can't manage the applicator ones, I'd go with o.b. regulars.)

She may find putting her foot up on the toilet seat is easier to insert a tampon at first vs sitting on the seat with knees spread; I know I did. Yes, it gets awkward in public restrooms, but for easier, more confident placement, I think it's the best method.

Both Tampax and Playtex make plastic applicator tampons in a variety of absorbencies and widths.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Plastic applicator tampons in "slender" fits until she gets the hang of things are probably best for learning - the plastic glides better than cardboard, so it's easier to insert in the correct position.

Although your note about her wrist/forearm concerns, OP, does give me pause because it can be a little tricky to push the "plunger" bit, I hate recommending something like o.b. to a new-to-periods tween - the idea of using applicator-free tampons horrified me until I hit college and I appreciated the easier portability/hide-ability of applicator-free vs applicator tampons. (But, if she can't manage the applicator ones, I'd go with o.b. regulars.)

She may find putting her foot up on the toilet seat is easier to insert a tampon at first vs sitting on the seat with knees spread; I know I did. Yes, it gets awkward in public restrooms, but for easier, more confident placement, I think it's the best method.

Both Tampax and Playtex make plastic applicator tampons in a variety of absorbencies and widths.
    They have "pocket" sized ones with applicators now. They expand to be normal size applicators.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Help!! Tweens, periods, swimming...

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    They have "pocket" sized ones with applicators now. They expand to be normal size applicators.
    Those are so dang annoying; I know they say they are full size but the ones I have used never feel full size. I feel like I can’t get the whole thing in, and then getting the applicator out....it feels like it is getting stuck. I don’t think I would give that to a tween; but then women our age used plenty of applicator free tampons (although I didn’t care for those either) so a mini applicator is probably a non issue.

For the OP....my DD1 tried a tampon when she first got her period because she had dance class (and she didn’t wear underwear) and all I had were regular size ones and she hated them. I haven’t seen light tampons in my area in years but the smaller the better. DD1 is 15 and still doesn’t swim when she is on her period. She isn’t on a team though and just swims in our backyard pool. It doesn’t bother her. She did think about period swimwear but she wasn’t sure it would really work.

Period panty wise she has Ruby Love brand panties and she doesn’t complain about them but still wears a regular pad with them, and she hasn’t complained about them leaking. I tried them for myself as well and I didn’t care for the fit (I wear thong underwear and tampons, and thin overnight Stayfree pads and panties at night and the period panties didn’t cover enough in the front to be worn alone and were too bulky with an overnight pad).

ETA: OB no longer makes their original applicator tampons as they discontinued them well over 10+ years ago. I tried some of their organic ones about a year ago and I didn’t like them nearly as much as the originals. I found that they pinched and they didn’t do enough for a true super tampon for me. Not worth switching for me. I like Tampax Radiant (I soaked through a Pearl super in an hour), Playtex Gentle Glide/Sport and Kotex U regular applicator. Tampax Radiant does make a lighter tampon; Kotex, and Playtex don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-25-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast