Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    klwa is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Caveat that they haven't been used for their intended purpose yet since DD1 hasn't started her period yet, but they're things we got in preparation.

KT by Knix has several period swimsuits We got DD1 this one. She says it's comfortable.

I also got her the sleepover short. I think I attached a picture of the "protection area" for that one. It's definitely heavier protected towards the back than the front. (I've always had the opposite problem than you were describing & leaked out the front since I'm a stomach/side sleeper, so the fact that there's so much more protection to the rear concerns me.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    They have "pocket" sized ones with applicators now. They expand to be normal size applicators.
    Yes, and those are fantastic, but I find them a bit trickier to depress the plunger and I'm 43!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD used a tampon at age 11 with her first period, she's a swimmer. Get the plastic applicator, lowest absorbancy will be the slimmest. Use one to practice pushing it out, there are good you tube videos demonstrating. You will be able to see if her hands are able to do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I got a small pack of the slimmest tampons I could find at the grocery for her to try. DD has been using cloth pads at home, which are soft and feel great, but disposable pads will still always absorb better/feel drier. I also got her a Thinx BTWN starter set.

Does anyone have recommendations for all-natural disposable pads? I developed a sensitivity to the mainstream brands (Always, Kotex, etc), so want to avoid that with DDs. Would love to know what is soft, not plastic-y (looking at you, Always! Yuck!), and without all the yucky chemicals/fragrances!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 05-27-2021 at 11:55 AM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I got a small pack of the slimmest tampons I could find at the grocery for her to try. Does anyone have recommendations for all-natural pads? I developed a sensitivity to the mainstream brands (always, kotex, etc), so want to avoid that with DDs. Would love to know what is soft, not plastic-y, and without all the yucky chemicals/fragrances!
    I wish I knew! I find that the "natural" pads I've tried to feel like sitting in a wet bathing suit, so I've stuck to Always but I hear you on the sensitivity. (It's basically my infanthood 'sposie diaper rash redux!)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My daughter is involved with period poverty (started a non-profit called RedEquity that focuses on distributing period products to people/students who can't afford them) and I just learned about a company called Top, The Organic Project, that has 100% organic period products. I've never used them but people speak highly of them. If anyone is interested in the period poverty cause, check out RedEquity (https://www.instagram.com/redequity/)
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Whole Foods has tons of natural pads and tampons. Target carries some too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jenmcadams View Post
    My daughter is involved with period poverty (started a non-profit called RedEquity that focuses on distributing period products to people/students who can't afford them) and I just learned about a company called Top, The Organic Project, that has 100% organic period products. I've never used them but people speak highly of them. If anyone is interested in the period poverty cause, check out RedEquity (https://www.instagram.com/redequity/)
    This is awesome!! You must be so proud!! Thanks for sharing!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    Caveat that they haven't been used for their intended purpose yet since DD1 hasn't started her period yet, but they're things we got in preparation.

KT by Knix has several period swimsuits We got DD1 this one. She says it's comfortable.

I also got her the sleepover short. I think I attached a picture of the "protection area" for that one. It's definitely heavier protected towards the back than the front. (I've always had the opposite problem than you were describing & leaked out the front since I'm a stomach/side sleeper, so the fact that there's so much more protection to the rear concerns me.)
    Thank you for this photo! It's very helpful...I could see having one pair being very useful, esp for back sleepers.

Quote Originally Posted by jenmcadams View Post
    That is really awesome - and thanks for the Top recommendation...I looked it up and they sell it at Sprouts, which we have nearby so I will definitely buy a pack to try!!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    One of my tweens just got her period. She's not quite 13. She's SUPER annoyed about it, especially coming up into summer when there will likely be more playdates and swimming.

What do I do about swimming?? I don't know what the options are out there in terms of tampons or cups or things that a tween could learn to use. She also has some mobility issues with her forearms, so can't twist her wrists certain ways, which might complicate things...so she really will need "easy to use".

Also want to get her some period underwear for extra security at school and overnight...is Thinx still the way to go or are there other brands for tweens out there now?

YIKES I WAS NOT READY.

eta: period undies for tweens that actually have full back protection? I'm only seeing undies that have protection where a regular pad would cover...but when I was a teen I had the most problems with back leaks especially while sleeping. Absorbency doesn't need to go all the way up the back but it would be nice to have something that was liquid resistant all the way up the back.

etaa: recommendations for pad brands that are soft/not plasticky without all the yucky chemicals?
    So cute, I noticed you keep calling her a tween, sorry mom, she's a full blown teen now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast