Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Help!! Tweens, periods, swimming...

Been using Stayfree ultra thins for years. No plasticky feeling at all. Dd1 uses them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 05-27-2021 at 09:13 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Re: pad recommendations, I like Cora brand. They're available at Target. Whatever you do stay far away from Always. I've found the top layer really irritating and in conversations with friends realized others have the same complaint.

I'd also get her a black swimsuit bottom to use when her period comes just in case...

The Clue app might also interest her. It helps track cycle length and frequency and over time gets pretty good at predicting when your period will start so you can be prepared.

I don't have pad recommendations - I use a cup and cloth pads and DD doesn't love anything she's tried yet (Kotex i current fave, less plasticy she says). I will say it is SUPER HARD to find period undies that have protection all the way up the back. It seems most of the big brands just cover the area of a regular pad and at $25-30 a piece it would cost about $300 to have a reasonable supply on hand! DD has some by Rael (they also make disposable products) that are OK but they are less coverage than she prefers overall (bikini style) and they shrink tremendously so be sure to take that into account when buying. DD can't use them on their own because she inherited my ridiculously heavy periods but they are vital backup for overnight leaks with an overnight ultra pad. I have also found a few random brands on Amazon that show full coverage up the back and I was going to try those for her also.

https://www.getrael.com/products/period-panties

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Bambod...8?ref_=ast_bln

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Thinx Hiphugger and Super Hiphugger both have protection all the way up the back. So do the Dear Kate "full" hipsters and briefs (I have the Ada Hipster Full).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    The Thinx Hiphugger and Super Hiphugger both have protection all the way up the back. So do the Dear Kate "full" hipsters and briefs (I have the Ada Hipster Full).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    THANK YOU for this! DD2 might be able to wear the smallest size in Thinx...so this would be great. I did order a Thinks BTWN starter set and they look to be quite nice quality but DD hasn't tried them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    THANK YOU for this! DD2 might be able to wear the smallest size in Thinx...so this would be great. I did order a Thinks BTWN starter set and they look to be quite nice quality but DD hasn't tried them yet.
    In case it helps with sizing, I usually wear a size 2 or 4, and can wear a lot of things in kids size 16. I wear size small Thinx and can also wear size 15-16 in BTWN, though I prefer the design of the regular Thinx. They're also really great at free returns for any reason if you want to give a different kind or size a try! And they shrink a little if you put them in the dryer, so if they're borderline in terms of fitting that may fix it.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    In case it helps with sizing, I usually wear a size 2 or 4, and can wear a lot of things in kids size 16. I wear size small Thinx and can also wear size 15-16 in BTWN, though I prefer the design of the regular Thinx. They're also really great at free returns for any reason if you want to give a different kind or size a try! And they shrink a little if you put them in the dryer, so if they're borderline in terms of fitting that may fix it.
    Thank you! Do you know your hip measurement? DD2 and I both have larger hips and tiny waists, and I'm thinking of getting myself a pair too. I have one pair of sport hipsters that I got from a friend in size S and though it seems to be the right size and the functionality is great, the fit is AWFUL - soooo cheeky and the back is constantly wedging its way into my butt crack!! A lot of the Thinx styles look too cheeky and that usually doesn't go well with larger hips.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Thank you! Do you know your hip measurement? DD2 and I both have larger hips and tiny waists, and I'm thinking of getting myself a pair too. I have one pair of sport hipsters that I got from a friend in size S and though it seems to be the right size and the functionality is great, the fit is AWFUL - soooo cheeky and the back is constantly wedging its way into my butt crack!! A lot of the Thinx styles look too cheeky and that usually doesn't go well with larger hips.
    I don't know my hip measurement, but I also have larger hips and a smaller waist. I do best with "curvy" fit jeans and pants. I've tried several styles and the only one I will wear is the hiphugger style -- it's the only one I feel covers my butt well. I HATE cheeky styles. I have tried and returned the cotton bikini and at least one other style (maybe the sport one?) because they didn't provide enough butt coverage. The regular hiphugger fits pretty well, but the air hiphugger is my favorite both in terms of fit and comfort from the thinner/lighter fabric.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Following!

Older DD (15) uses tampons, cups (Saalt is her favorite brand) and Thinx. But it was all pads and period undies for light days in her first 8-10 months.

for Sandy Hook

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I reread this timely thread for us, yesterday DD had to miss swim practice since less than an hour before swimming she got her periods. We were planning for her to try tampons and thought we had time since she had her last 2 weeks ago. Anyways, after trying she failed to get them in and was in tears that she failed at it.
    I’m at a loss how to help since I’ve never been able to wear a tampon myself.

Also my question is, are cups any better or easier? If so, which one do you recommend? Also DD has watched YouTube videos but of anyone has a link to any video that explains better please share it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast