Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default S/O Modern Remakes of Classic Novels

I think there is a lot of value in reading the original classics but I also am interested in modern retellings of classic novels, especially ones that are geared towards young adults. Please share any ones that you know about!

This is a remake of The Great Gatsby set in high school:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When I worked at a high school we had a visiting author series and Sharon Draper was awesome. Her modern take on Romeo and Juliet, Romiet and Julio was a great read. I also loved the book by Draper, Forged by Fire.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Clueless of course! It is Emma by Jane Austen. Ten Things I Hate About You is Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare (I haven't read the original of this one so I don't know how close it is...) This is fun!

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There is a new version of West Side Story coming at the end of the year. That’s Romeo and Juliet.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Has pieces of: Allan Quartermain, Captain Nemo and the Nautilus from 20,000 leagues Under the Sea, Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde, Rodney Skinner (Invisible Man), Dorian Gray, Tom Sawyer, Mina Harker (female vampire made by Dracula)...

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

These are books? I thought most of the suggestions in this thread are just movies.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    ...Ten Things I Hate About You is Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare (I haven't read the original of this one so I don't know how close it is...) This is fun!
    It's extremely close!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    These are books? I thought most of the suggestions in this thread are just movies.
    Nope, looks like there are a lot of movie suggestions in the thread, but they're good examples of what happens when stories are absorbed through "cultural osmosis" - they become part of the pop-culture canon again!
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Not sure what, exactly, you're looking for OP, but I've read retellings myself - sometimes, I seek them out; other times, I have them recommended to me. When they're done well, they're glorious, but it's a hard thing to do!

The Hogarth Shakespeare project retold 9 of Shakespeare's plays as novels; I've only read Margaret Atwood's Hag-Seed, which retells The Tempest (if I had to pick one Shakespeare play as my favorite, this is the one that ties Hamlet every time), but I have the others on my TBR.

I just bought the eBook of Pride, Prejudice and Other Flavors by Sonali Dev, who's also written Recipe for Persuasion, and Incense and Sensibility, which retell Jane Austen.

Gail Carson Levine retells fairy tales very well, as does Shannon Hale (Books of Bayern series; first one is The Goose Girl) ... and I also recommend retold fairy tales by Tanith Lee, Jane Yolen, Rainbow Rowell, and Neil Gaiman. One of my favorite collections is Beyond the Woods: Fairy Tales Retold, edited by Paula Guran.

The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein is a mid-90s take on Frankenstein, which I haven't re-read in years (no idea where my copy is) but I loved it at the time.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    Oh! You wanted books. Whoops! I'll read closer next time. I do recommend the Shannon Hale books. Otherwise I'm not much help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast