Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There's a graphic novel called Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy that's a modern retelling of the original (first half of most modern copies) Little Women.

The same company apparently has one for The Secret Garden, too, although I haven't seen that one in stores.

And not quite the same, but a "set in the future" version of Cinderella is Cinder. The other books in that series go through Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    There's a graphic novel called Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy that's a modern retelling of the original (first half of most modern copies) Little Women.

The same company apparently has one for The Secret Garden, too, although I haven't seen that one in stores.

And not quite the same, but a "set in the future" version of Cinderella is Cinder. The other books in that series go through Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White.
    I will check these out!

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Not sure what, exactly, you're looking for OP, but I've read retellings myself - sometimes, I seek them out; other times, I have them recommended to me. When they're done well, they're glorious, but it's a hard thing to do!
    I am really just looking for books that retell famous classic novels in a setting that kids would be interested in reading. DS1 read Jake, Reinvented (linked in first post) and enjoyed it, but I doubt he would have been interested in reading The Great Gatsby (I love this book, btw, and I know many kids would enjoy it). But now if he has to read The Great Gatsby in school, he will have a frame of reference to the story. I figure that there might be a lot of updated novels (similar to Clueless and Emma but in book form).

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    I will check these out!
    The series is collectively known as The Lunar Chronicles and the author is Marissa Meyer. I've heard good things, but haven't yet picked them up.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Most of the ones I know are based off of myths or older classics:
    Beowulf-Michael Crichton Eaters of the Dead (made a fun movie of it called Thirteenth Warrior)
    Song of Achilles and Circe are myth based and very good
    Wicked, was a book before the musical
    A Thousand Acres (King Lear)
    Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (Hamlet) also a great movie
    On Beauty by Zadie Smith (Howard’s End)
    I also think there are like five based on Jane Austen’s books, mostly Pride and Prejudice. But at don’t like Austen, so a I haven’t read any.
    Tons of riffs on Dracula, Frankenstein, Canterbury Tales and the Decameron.

citymama is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

For 9-12 year olds, I love the "Red" "Grump" Rump" books by Liesl Shurtliff that are back stories to classic fairy tales.

"Wicked" is a retelling of the Wizard of Oz (and there's a book before the musical!)
    Bridget Jones Diary is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice
    Ayesha at Last is a Pakistani retelling of Pride and Prejudice my teen absolutely loved
    The Hours by Michael Cunningham - retelling of Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway
    Meg & Jo - retelling of Little Women
    His Dark Materials trilogy by Pullman is based on Paradise Lost
    Tiger Lily is a retelling of Peter Pan

for Sandy Hook

Oh, there's also Enchantment by Orson Scott Card which is a mash up of Sleeping Beauty and the Baba Yaga stories.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

citymama is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    Oh, there's also Enchantment by Orson Scott Card which is a mash up of Sleeping Beauty and the Baba Yaga stories.
    What ages is this one for?

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    What ages is this one for?
    I'd say 12+ for Enchantment. There is some discussion of sex in it, although it is within marriage. Some discussion of circumcision and a few other things as well. (There's a time travel element to it, which makes the circumcision *questionable*, which is why it's a plot point.)
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post

"Wicked" is a retelling of the Wizard of Oz (and there's a book before the musical!)
    Wicked is one of my favorite novels; Gregory Maguire's takes on fairy tales are kind of awesome. But I do warn OP that they're adult novels, so I'd pre-read before turning over to a middle schooler to see if there's anything in them you might find complicated or that needs to be discussed w/r/t your family's values.

There are more novels set in Maguire's version of Oz, but I've only read Son of a Witch. I don't think I "got" it at the time & might be due for a reread.

Since we're talking about Gregory Maguire, I also recommend Confessions of An Ugly Stepsister, which was his debut novel. It's a retelling of "Cinderella" set in the Netherlands during the "Tulip Mania." De-centering Cinderella from "her" story is a really interesting premise!

He also retold "Snow White" as Mirror, Mirror, but it's so intensely surreal I struggled with it. I went into it expecting something a lot more straightforward and I got ... DalÃ*.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast