AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Flagstaff, Arizona....what to do....where to stay?

Looking to go to Flagstaff in late July this year. Does anyone have any “what to do” and lodging recommendations? It is 90 minutes from The Grand Canyon South Rim, but with it being summer I am not 100% sure I want to attempt going as I am afraid it might be too busy, and of course the in park hotels are already booked. The reason for the trip is a week or so getaway within no more than a 7 hours from SoCal, somewhere somewhat woodsy, and someplace we haven’t been before. We will probably arrive on Sunday and leave on Friday so we would have four full days or arrive on Monday and leave on Saturday.

Air BNB or hotel recs. are greatly appreciated.

DD2 will qualify for a National Park pass as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-01-2021 at 02:23 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I Flagstaff, but I probably won’t be super helpful as I haven’t been in 20 years. I went to college there so not sure of best family activities these days, but I’ll throw some ideas out that you can look into.

I love the GC so would try to get there but you’re right it may be hot and busy.

Oak Creek Canyon and the drive to Sedona is shorter than the trip to GC and lively. Somewhere along there is a river with natural rock slides. Slide Rock Park MAYBE the name.

The Wupatki Indian ruins to the northeast are interesting and educational.

Mormon Lake is a beautiful area for a scenic drive or hiking but I don’t remember specifics.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I I love the GC so would try to get there but you’re right it may be hot and busy.

Oak Creek Canyon and the drive to Sedona is shorter than the trip to GC and lively. Somewhere along there is a river with natural rock slides. Slide Rock Park MAYBE the name.

I agree, and yes, it's called Slide Rock State Park and is very much worth a visit! We loved it there and spent the better part of a day there, picnicked outside and loved the scenery and water inside.
    Depending on how far you want to go from Flagstaff, I may have other suggestions, as we've only driven thru Flagstaff on our way other places.
    Bearizona
    GC
    Montezuma's castle
    Meteor Crater
    Sedona
    Painted desert/ petrified forest
    LMK if you want info on any of those.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Do you camp? If so, check out a place called Edge of the World on the Mongollan Rim - it is out of this world camping on the edge of a 1,000 foot cliff overlooking the red rock canyons and formations of Sedona. It is totally dispersed camping though so you have to be willing to be off grid without facilities. The road to get there doesn't require 4x4 but it is slow going.

We were in Sedona two weeks ago and there is fantastic hiking but in the middle of summer you'd want to do that early, early. Oak Creek Canyon is the exception - stays way cooler and you can swim at Slide Rock State Park (gets busy but if you walk up the canyon past the crowds there are some cool swimming holes with privacy just not the "slides") and the hike along the canyon is great (but get to the trailhead early - it gets full fast). There is also Pumphouse Wash at the top of Oak Creek Canyon that has some forest service roads that go back into the forest that are worth exploring. We only drove up to Flagstaff to the top of the canyon and then back to Sedona, so that's my sum total advice. Have fun!

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We've done the vrbo route a few times. If you rent, make sure it has A/C.