Default Took the trip - WDW May 22-28

I've been eyeing this week to go to WDW for five years. Our school year was ending crazy early and Star Wars was going to be completed. My kids are 17, almost 14, and 11. Older two went in November 2011, all of us in February 2015, just me and then 7 year old in 2017. I finally made the call the last week of March to go ahead and go. For our previous visits we had flown in, used Disney transport, stayed on property and used the meal plan.

This time we drove, rented a house through vrbo, and ended up not eating any meals at the parks.

It was a great trip. We were not prepared for the heat. We did parks all seven days and really used the park hopper option for our returns in the afternoon. Never left the parks before, but this time we left most afternoons. They were generally opening about one hour before posted time. Definitely slow rolling us car arrivals especially at Studios. We were there first thing each day and would do 2 to 5 hours then leave. We'd get a bigger meal, go back to house to rest/nap/swim and then go back. Our two Epcot days were only that park since it did not open until 11. We visited Disney Springs twice also. We had two days opening Studios, but also went there three times in the evening.

It would not be a great time for this to be your "only" WDW visit. Without the shows, parades and fireworks some of the special things were lost. Not having fast passes made it feel more amusement park like.

Food was just complicated. We found it to be a pain to order so we stuck with buying snacks and doing meals off property.

Masks were required and I saw little push back while in line and inside/on attractions. Biggest drawback I experienced was that we usually killed time in line eating/drinking and could not do that with the masking requirements.

I'm happy we decided to go. Star Wars did not disappoint. The first Monday we were there we went to Studios in the evening to scope it out. We were able to walk around and immediately board Smugglers Run four times in an hour. Teenager got us in the virtual queue both of our Studio mornings for Rise of the Resistance.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for this post. We leave at the very end of June and have an 8 day pass (it costs so little to add an extra day or two above 5 days that even if we don’t go one day it is hardly a loss). We know it’ll be HOT but it’ll be fine. With the ability to go to each park more than once we can leave in the afternoon and not feel bad about missing something.

Your post makes me feel good about our decision to go. We’ve been twice before and my kids no longer care about parades or characters or fireworks. We are staying on property with full kitchen (have never stayed on property before) but will have a rental car to avoid having to wait for the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Do you still need to prebook which parks you’re going to or can you just play it by ear?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Do you still need to prebook which parks you’re going to or can you just play it by ear?

Still reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Thanks for this post. We leave at the very end of June and have an 8 day pass (it costs so little to add an extra day or two above 5 days that even if we don’t go one day it is hardly a loss). We know it’ll be HOT but it’ll be fine. With the ability to go to each park more than once we can leave in the afternoon and not feel bad about missing something.

Your post makes me feel good about our decision to go. We’ve been twice before and my kids no longer care about parades or characters or fireworks. We are staying on property with full kitchen (have never stayed on property before) but will have a rental car to avoid having to wait for the bus.

Good luck for your trip. Yes, the trip had a different feel, but I think it would have no matter what with the kids being so much older. Being older helped because we let them make calls on what to do when. Having the park hopper option to go back to a different park in the evening let us cover all our favorites and must dos in the first four or five days and then just have fun the last few with what we wanted to repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

Yes, still reservation for parks. Park hopper allowed entry to different park after 2 each day. We did this several days.