Quote Originally Posted by alootikki View Post
I’m so sorry. This happened to us as well. DS was cut at age SEVEN from our town’s soccer program. Completely ridiculous, and frankly if this is what the sports culture has become, it’s toxic.

I was able to get DS onto a neighboring towns travel team, where he has played for the last several years and really enjoyed it. But to your point, he hasn’t been able to play with his local friends and it becomes harder and harder every year to get back onto our town’s team.

Most parents in my town are extreme sports parents, who truly believe that you need to start playing a sport in kindergarten, and have private coaching and camps in addition to participating on a team. This all sounds completely crazy to me, and we will never be that focused on sports! Which unfortunately means that our kids will never be viewed as “competitive”, and will never really have the opportunity to pursue a sport longer-term.

Sorry, no real advice but I completely empathize on this topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS!!! DC was in Kindergarten and the first year of swim team. Another Kindergarten parent actually asked me what sport the child would be "specializing" in for college admission! The kids were SIX!

At the same time, DC wanted to try gymnastics (again, DC was too tall for the first class we tried at age 4). I called all the gyms looking for a BEGINNER class at a regular gym (the kids gyms set the equipment too low), the one I chose swore to me that all the kids were beginners and DC would fit right in. On the first day of class, three of her friends from school were there; they had all been taking gymnastics at that gym for FOUR years. The instructor would yell at DC for not knowing what to do. It was a disaster!

Why can't kids just try various things and HAVE FUN??? The world is way too competitive!