Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alootikki View Post
    I’m so sorry. This happened to us as well. DS was cut at age SEVEN from our town’s soccer program. Completely ridiculous, and frankly if this is what the sports culture has become, it’s toxic.

I was able to get DS onto a neighboring towns travel team, where he has played for the last several years and really enjoyed it. But to your point, he hasn’t been able to play with his local friends and it becomes harder and harder every year to get back onto our town’s team.

Most parents in my town are extreme sports parents, who truly believe that you need to start playing a sport in kindergarten, and have private coaching and camps in addition to participating on a team. This all sounds completely crazy to me, and we will never be that focused on sports! Which unfortunately means that our kids will never be viewed as “competitive”, and will never really have the opportunity to pursue a sport longer-term.

Sorry, no real advice but I completely empathize on this topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS!!! DC was in Kindergarten and the first year of swim team. Another Kindergarten parent actually asked me what sport the child would be "specializing" in for college admission! The kids were SIX!

At the same time, DC wanted to try gymnastics (again, DC was too tall for the first class we tried at age 4). I called all the gyms looking for a BEGINNER class at a regular gym (the kids gyms set the equipment too low), the one I chose swore to me that all the kids were beginners and DC would fit right in. On the first day of class, three of her friends from school were there; they had all been taking gymnastics at that gym for FOUR years. The instructor would yell at DC for not knowing what to do. It was a disaster!

Why can't kids just try various things and HAVE FUN??? The world is way too competitive!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks, all.

I checked with a few other parents - there is no other baseball league in town.

After much consideration, DS did decide to go ahead with being an alternate. He is also registered for some camps this summer.

The town soccer league seems to be similar. They just had try outs for fall soccer last night. I guess they are choosing A and B teams? Unclear to me if they will be cutting kids there too. I'm not sure what would happen if a kid improved a ton over the summer!

It feels to me that he's about to get either pushed out of team sports, and/or separated from his friends who are more talented. And that sucks.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am so sad to hear there are no other options, I can't imagine living somewhere that values so much competition and doesn't offer baseball for all levels and skill. Maybe I live in a bubble in our central IL "Mayberry" type city, yes we have crazy travel sports, but also opportunities for all. OP I hope he is able to have fun at what he chooses, both of my kids have made great friends through sports, but have also been able to try sports they were never going to be the "best" at. Sounds like your son is good to go with the flow!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Thanks, all.

I checked with a few other parents - there is no other baseball league in town.

After much consideration, DS did decide to go ahead with being an alternate. He is also registered for some camps this summer.

The town soccer league seems to be similar. They just had try outs for fall soccer last night. I guess they are choosing A and B teams? Unclear to me if they will be cutting kids there too. I'm not sure what would happen if a kid improved a ton over the summer!

It feels to me that he's about to get either pushed out of team sports, and/or separated from his friends who are more talented. And that sucks.
    I'm sad it is so much work to get your DS to be able to do something that he loves. It probably means lots of kids are left out of sports and that's a shame. I do have to say that I love that he is going to play anyway. I hope he has a great experience!

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do wonder if somehow only the travel programs are coming up in your search...the soccer travel teams had their tryouts this past weekend but fall soccer registration hasn't even started yet for the rec programs. I agree that in a normal year, baseball is in the spring here and wrapping up. All-Star season is soon so tryouts for that would make more sense with timing... I do live in the suburbs of a major city so I'm sure that makes a huge difference.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

IME soccer is worse than baseball in our town. And to put it into perspective, opening day of Little League in our town is normally heralded by a Parade. Complete with the mayor, the fire dept, police ..... There is a reason my kids dont do organized sports
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It’s such crap that kids can’t make a team if they don’t play year round and travel.

My dh I has umpired baseball for years and is so sick of the parents and coaches who act crazy.

I have witnessed so many kids that get to high school and quit due to burnout. So sad what tournaments and money are doing to our kids.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    IME soccer is worse than baseball in our town. And to put it into perspective, opening day of Little League in our town is normally heralded by a Parade. Complete with the mayor, the fire dept, police ..... There is a reason my kids dont do organized sports
    Is the reason your kids don't do organized sports because you don't like the parade aspect? Trying to understand the problem.
    DD
    DS

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    Is the reason your kids don't do organized sports because you don't like the parade aspect? Trying to understand the problem.

I dont like how Super competitive it is. People trying to register for spots for tryouts that are gone in 5 min .... 6+mo before the season starts.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are lucky that we have lots of options here for less competitive teams. But my son's abilities lie in between recreational and select teams. Rec is too easy and select is too intense for him. He loves basketball but hates pressure. What are we doing to these kids? The coaches and other parents act like the kids are playing college sports and they aren't even in high school yet. No wonder most kids stop sports around age 13.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast