Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default If you exercise regularly, what are your secrets?

If you regularly exercise, what has made the difference for you? Have you always been that way? If not, what made the difference? Would love your thoughts!

For me, I have NOT always been a regular exerciser! At all! I was very active in high school (swim team and cheerleading) and have struggled with a regular exercise program ever since graduating in 1994. But for the past 5 months or so I've finally started exercising and I really am enjoying it.

The secrets for me include getting wireless earbuds. I ended up buying some for $30 from Target by jLabs. They don't have AMAZING sound or anything but they stay in my ears so I can work out!

That allows me to exercise in my tiny house at 5:00. I like exercising alone! And my kids are grown enough that they either sleep in or they can manage themselves if they happen to wake up at 5:00 (and that almost never happens these days).

Finally, I found exercise that I really enjoy. For me, I liked to swim, but I'm too high maintenance to make that my regular exercise. It it hard to find a pool, and then have to shower completely every day (I know that sounds gross...but I don't wash my hair every day). It takes too much time. I also LOVE to dance. I found a combo of high impact aerobics that are very dance-like (HIGH fitness) and barre videos and I'm loving it. That makes a huge difference to my motivation in the morning.

Once I like what I'm doing, I start doing it more often. Then in turn, I start getting stronger and fitter which again increases my motivation!

I'm excited to see what works for you guys!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Routine. It’s easy for me to maintain the routine. It’s hard when it falls off the rails for a bit (illness, injury, time available...). I like to workout at the same time each day.
    When I’m not feeling it, I play one-off my favorite workout songs and it usually pumps me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was not a regular exerciser and now am. I made it a priority. I put it ahead of spending time with my kids. I find if I exercise I will still find time for the kids and I will like it better for having had exercised. My Apple Watch has made a huge difference. It motivates me. I have goals and I want to meet them every day. Finally, I try to walk quickly with friends a few times a week. It is great exercise and social. The Apple Watch helps me keep up my pace. I feel so much better each day I exercise and that makes it worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I was not a regular exerciser until last February. The Apple Watch has really helped keep me accountable. The pandemic really pushed me into staying active. I felt like I needed to do as much as I could to keep myself as (physically wmd emotionally) healthy as possible. I don’t do anything super intense...just fast walking 3-5 miles a day. In the summer/fall, it was more like 5 miles, but now in the winter, it’s 3. I prefer to walk with my friend/neighbor, but I also walk on the treadmill.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I can totally see how an Apple Watch would be helpful and motivating. I love to walk. I'm having a hard time getting out to do it. I feel like I'm needed all hours of the day. It is easier to make it happen in the summer when daylight hours are longer! I would really love to figure out how to walk at least a couple of days a week.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I can totally see how an Apple Watch would be helpful and motivating. I love to walk. I'm having a hard time getting out to do it. I feel like I'm needed all hours of the day. It is easier to make it happen in the summer when daylight hours are longer! I would really love to figure out how to walk at least a couple of days a week.
    I love walking. That is my main (usually only) exercise. Since I started telecommuting last April, I started walking every day at lunchtime. It is my stress relief, break & alone time. I only get a half hour lunch from work so I walk 1-1.5 miles quickly with my earbuds in to listen to music, then eat a quick lunch or eat at my desk while working. It helps that my kids are old enough to make their own lunches and get themselves online for remote school. I walk even when it's cold or a little rainy. I track my distance/time on an app that can also calculate approx. calories burned. I decided I needed to do it for myself and prioritized doing it. It's very important to my mental health, and I also lost almost 20# in the last 9 months, primarily from the walking.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

I need to be a little afraid to be motivated. I sign up for a tough backpacking trip every spring and that keeps me going through the winter. I looooooove backpacking so will keep myself in shape to do it. Then, to make sure I keep going after the trip, I sign up for races. I have been doing triathlons for 10 years now and love the cross training aspect of it. I helps prevent injury and boredom. (but you don't necessarily get good at any one discipline) I don't want to suffer during a race so I keep on top of training. I am only competing against myself and I am really proud of myself for what I do. I love the sense of accomplishment.

I also try to work out first thing--if I postpone too much, it doesn't get done. And trail runs are a must for me. Better scenery and injury prevention. I just love trails.

oh--and exercise is the number one way I manage stress. I really do it more for my mental health than anything else. My kids know if I am getting snarly--they will ask "Did you exercise today? Have you had your coffee?"
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I struggle. Thinks that help me
    - telling people I am going to work out (DH, kids, anyone really)
    - Putting it in the calendar
    - Mornings work out better for me, I wear my clothes to bed and just do it
    - Having a class or a work out buddy or a trainer to basically hold me accountable
    - When I walk having an audio book or a friend to call helps
    - 90% of it is just starting it, like just start -- we used to say showing up is 90% of it at a class I attended and SO very true

GOOD LUCK
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have done a number of different things, but the keys for me:

- routine! Pick a time that works for you and do it then, always. When the kids were little, I would put on my running gear and walk them to the bus stop and leave for my run from there. Once they got older, I still went for my run as soon as they were off to school. This year is harder since that routine is gone, but now I wake up and do yoga first thing. Back in my 20s, I would go to the gym on the way to work, my bag would be packed the night before and I would just roll out of bed and go.
    - make it easy! Minimize the thinking about what to do. When I was running a lot, I had a mileage goal and would plan a route ahead of time. With yoga, I am doing the 30 days of yoga from Yoga with Adrienne (thanks to inspiration from someone here!) so the workout is selected for me.
    - set a goal! One year I challenged myself to run 1000 miles in a year, set up a spreadsheet and tracked all my stats. I knew if I was getting behind and when I was wavering on going running, I knew that it was critical to get 4 miles in that day to keep on pace. With yoga, it is just keeping up the streak! I am 48 days in!

Really for me, doing it first thing in the morning is so important. It is done, out of the way. I feel so much better, clearer. If I try to work out later, life gets in the way!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast