bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default American History for Kids?

I just finished up reading aloud Vol. 2 of "The Story of the World"by Susan Wise Bauer to my kids. This has been a dream of mine since I first encountered the series! It was incredibly rewarding to see them light up with the stories. The older kids got a lot of context out of it but even my 1st grader remembers the stories. (Is it weird that Henry VIII and the story of the first divorce is her favorite one??)

This summer, I want to do a special series on the history of the US. I'm looking for a similar, story-based curriculum and would love any recommendations!

I already have the "Liberty's Kids" DVDs that tell the story of the American Revolution and have thought that maybe we'll watch the series. I guess I just want to know if anyone has run into great materials that they'd be willing to share?

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DC LOVED TimeBlazers (the TV series) when they were young. It is a Canadian show that has been off the air for awhile. It is world history, but very well done!

Also, the American Girl historical doll books and movies are excellent. All American history. The movies are girl centered, but not girlie if that helps.

Finally, they are hard to find, but there is a Peanuts DVD set on US history...
    Last edited by hbridge; 06-09-2021 at 12:24 PM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

There are some fantastic resources through state historical societies and iCivics (this is more games & teaching resources about the structure & function of government; extremely useful for anyone who's interested in civics overall)

The New-York Historical Society has been offering daily "History at Home" programs dealing with US history, some are general looks while others are New York-specific. I like their "Women and the American Story" curriculum and have pulled from it frequently for badges that DD's Girl Scout troop have earned this year.

The Museum of the American Revolution also has great kids and family resources, which will complement things you see in Liberty's Kids.

Both the New-York Historical Society and Museum of the American Revolution have sample questions from the US Citizenship Test, some of which I've pulled into a Kahoot! that I used with my Girl Scouts while we were meeting remotely. (There are plenty of other interactives available, and you can get the full question list online at USCIS if you're really curious.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    DC LOVED TimeBlazers (the TV series) when they were young. It is a Canadian show that has been off the air for awhile. It is world history, but very well done!

Also, the American Girl historical doll books and movies are excellent. All American history. The movies are girl centered, but not girlie if that helps.

Finally, they are hard to find, but there is a Peanuts DVD set on US history...
    Thanks! I like the idea of a series of videos. That's certainly easy! I have some of those American Girl books and I know my sister was a big fan. I haven't really looked into them but now I will!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    There are some fantastic resources through state historical societies and iCivics (this is more games & teaching resources about the structure & function of government; extremely useful for anyone who's interested in civics overall)

The New-York Historical Society has been offering daily "History at Home" programs dealing with US history, some are general looks while others are New York-specific. I like their "Women and the American Story" curriculum and have pulled from it frequently for badges that DD's Girl Scout troop have earned this year.

The Museum of the American Revolution also has great kids and family resources, which will complement things you see in Liberty's Kids.

Both the New-York Historical Society and Museum of the American Revolution have sample questions from the US Citizenship Test, some of which I've pulled into a Kahoot! that I used with my Girl Scouts while we were meeting remotely. (There are plenty of other interactives available, and you can get the full question list online at USCIS if you're really curious.)
    These look great. My kids love Kahoots. I don't know how to word it, but I feel like what you were teaching was just more in-depth and also just better presented than I may be capable of this summer. I hope I can find resources I can just pick up and use so I'll check out these leads!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My younger two just finished our year studying American history. Two of their sources were Story of the World The Modern Age (volume 4) and the Smithsonian Children’s Encyclopedia of American History. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1465428437...P07BS5FAPZKVVZ

Yay for you reading SOTW!!
    K

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

They also have enjoyed Liberty’s Kids for years. DS2 (13) will still watch it when traveling.
    K