Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Weight loss and Fitness Journey

There have been posts over the years about weight loss and fitness. I thought I would share my story in case it helps anyone.

In the beginning of January 2020, I was the heaviest I had ever been in my life and was clinically obese. I was winded walking. While I did walk quite a bit, it was at a slow pace. I knew that I needed to make a change.

First, I did a Whole30. It started my weight loss. I think I lost 9 pounds that first month, which still made me heavier than I was while pregnant. Towards the end of that, I transitioned to Intermittent Fasting. I tried to make walking 3 miles a day a priority and accomplished it most days. I also did some Pure Barre during that time. For about 60 days, I closed all my Apple Watch rings before the flu sidelined me. The pandemic hit after that, and I continued to try to prioritize walking but my pace was often slow. I continued the IF. By summer, I was down another 6 pounds. Over the summer, I shortened my fast but did not change my eating habits at all. I ate plenty of cake and ice cream over the summer, but only within my shortened window. By the end of the summer, I was down another 7 pounds. I plateaued there for a bit, and continued to walk.

At that point, I was walking at a slightly faster pace. In November, a friend created a 30 in 30 Facebook page. It was 30 days of cardio for 30 days. It included people from all over the world who would encourage each other to exercise. I did not know any of the people in the group other than my friend. Starting with that, I closed my rings every day. I have now closed my rings for 223 days straight. I walked every day of November, including in the rain. I did not allow myself any excuses not to exercise. At this point, I was waiting for my Peloton to arrive. I continued to do IF but was not eating particularly healthy. Through December, I walked every day including in snow and rain.

By January 2021, I was down 25 pounds from the previous January. I did another Whole30 in January. By the end of January, I was down another 8 pounds. I continued my IF, though in February, what I was eating, went back downhill.

My peloton arrived on December 30 and I started my peloton journey. After a couple weeks with the Peloton, I learned about power zone training on the Peloton, which is training to your personal fitness level. It allows for you to measure your fitness level over time and helps you progress. PZ training is more about improving endurance than just bursts of output. It is also not spinning, it is training. People use it for marathon and triathlon training. It is worth the price of the peloton multiple times over. I am also walking especially on days I am not on the Peloton. I am doing yoga too at least 1 or 2 times a week. My walking pace has dropped 2-3 minutes a mile in the past year. I am not winded while walking even in the heat and humidity. I am also able to run 3 miles for the first time since my 20s, though I prefer not to put that stress on my body.

In December 2021, I started taking my measurements in centimeters. I was doing it monthly for a while, but have been doing an 8 week PZ challenge on the Peloton so I am waiting for the challenge to be over this weekend to find out how much I have lost in the past 8 weeks. From December, I believe I have lost approximately 7 cm on my waist and a much larger amount on my bust. I have dropped at least one clothing size since January 2021 and multiple sizes since January 2020. My body is a completely different shape and my heart health is so much better. From January 2020 to today, I am down more than 40 pounds, probably closer to 45 pounds. It has come off slowly for the most part, but consistently. My BMI still makes me overweight, but I feel good. Maybe by the end of the year, I will no longer be overweight.

Finally, in November 2020, I had blood tests. My cholesterol numbers were ok, but not great. I had another test in late March. My cholesterol numbers are amazing now. I had massive changes in improvement, which I attribute to my Peloton and PZ training.

I am proud of myself. I never thought I could do this especially the last 10-15 pounds. I have PsA. Prior to my weight loss/fitness journey, I had some joint and Achilles issues that sent me to PT. While I still have stiffness in my joints at times, I can walk around without pain at any time of day, which I couldn't do before all of this. I can do 10 full pushups without pain in my wrists or dropping my knees.

Anyway, this was long. Thank you for indulging me. If anyone needs an accountability partner particularly for exercise, I am happy to help. It is what has made the biggest difference for me.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Congratulations!!!!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yay! I took one Power Zone class with Christine and I just didn’t care for it…..I need to try it with another instructor. I got my Peloton in late March and I have an 11 week street going….I am going to have to download the app so I can keep my steak going when we are on a trip next week.

I haven’t lost a ton of weight yet but clothes that were too tight for me last summer are fitting better this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thanks for sharing. So inspirational! I've never checked out PZ on the Peloton. You've made me curious.
    Congratulations!!!!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing all the details. This is consistent with what I've seen with other successful people that I know, the changing of multiple factors, finding things that work and feel good, and the wonderful results that involve improved health as well as weight loss! I'm now going to see what I can find out about the PZ Training. I haven't heard of that before.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is incredible story. Congrats. I would love an accountability partner!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Yay! I took one Power Zone class with Christine and I just didn’t care for it…..I need to try it with another instructor. I got my Peloton in late March and I have an 11 week street going….I am going to have to download the app so I can keep my steak going when we are on a trip next week.

I haven’t lost a ton of weight yet but clothes that were too tight for me last summer are fitting better this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Power Zone classes are very different and take a bit to get used to. I think there are other people who have felt similarly after their first attempt. They are about holding a zone for a long interval. Sometimes for 9-12 minutes. It is partly a mental exercise, but it is not the same type of "fun" other classes are. That said, I don't like the other classes really at this point unless I turn it into my own PZ class. I wish all instructors told me what Zone to be in instead of cadence and resistance. Each bike is calibrated differently so I find their instructions to be annoying and are often designed to kill my legs. PZ will not kill your legs

If you want to try it, go through the "Discover Your Power Zone" program on the bike. It explains it very well. It has you take your FTP (fitness test) on the second day of the program so you can learn the zones. You then spend 5 weeks going through classes and understanding the point of the training. For example, for an endurance ride, I will be sweaty afterward but not dead at all. It is done in the lower zones. During the PZ Max class I took, I wanted to vomit at the end. At the end of DYPZ, you take your FTP test again to see how much fitness you gained.

At that point you should check out the separate group that you can find on Facebook called the Power Zone Pack. They also have a website pzpack.com. The PZP creates challenges where you join a team. My team is full of lawyer moms. You earn points by completing the assigned classes each week. Your output doesn't matter because PZ is about your own personal fitness. It is not about the leaderboard. You could also check out the Build Your Power Zone on the bike. The next PZ Challenge organized by the PZP starts July 19. It will be 6 weeks.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

this is an awesome inspiration! thank you for posting. I am on my own journey and currently the heaviest i've been
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    This is incredible story. Congrats. I would love an accountability partner!
    Would love to be yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can I ask you age? I'm wondering about workouts specifically for post-menopausal women? Or diet advice?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast