Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What is your comfort level with large gatherings indoors right now? What about in the

DD has annual dance recital coming up in November. Would you commit to it? I’m hesitant since I do not know what DS’s vaccination status will be by then.

I thought I’d get what people’s views are on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

I'll preface this by saying this will vary greatly.

My 11-year-old has been playing basketball for several months. Back in the fall, he played in a church league and few local tournaments with one court in the gym. Crowds were sparse and organizers were following COVID protocols in place at the time. We often could only watch our team's games and had to leave when they were over.

The last couple of months, we've gone to four or five two-day tournaments where there are six or eight courts in one large space -- we have one this weekend. It's a lot of people coming and going and there are no longer any capacity limits. DS plays in his mask, although not every kid does. Most put them on between games. Most spectators also wear them, but that's been dropping some since the CDC's announcement last month. DH didn't always wear his a couple of weeks ago.

I'm fine with it. I know it would be a no-go with a lot of people on the board, though. A dance recital would have way less people and I imagine the dancers would wear masks.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Honesty, forgetting about covid, I know many families who don't have siblings come to recitals (they can be long and let's be honest many kids, especially brothers get bored). Does he normally attend? I expect next year to be pretty much back to normal, around here it already is. If still a concern I'd have him wear a mask.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In general, I'm not OK with indoor activities that are not school/not masked, but for a dance recital that won't be held until November, I'd commit to it.

You'll have plenty of time to see how case numbers are trending in your area, whether or not your DS will be vaccine-eligible, and, if necessary, get childcare for him if you're not comfortable by then.

If things change drastically with respect to the pandemic, the recital will probably be postponed or canceled altogether so it'll be moot.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d absolutely sign her up. You can figure out ds later.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    ... they can be long and let's be honest many kids, ... get bored)...
    My own father got bored attending my dance recital when I was in 3rd grade. He still b!tches about it and it was over 30 years ago!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you want to go? If so, I'd commit and leave DS at home with a sitter or make a playdate. Me? I'd be saying 'Oh so sorry, ds isnt vax ....' b/c I hate them!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Right now I’m not very comfortable with large indoor gatherings. In this situation though, I’d sign her up and leave DS at home if he’s not vaccinated and you aren’t feeling comfortable at that point.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’d be fine with vaccinated family members attending. He would not have to go and if the science remains the same, your attendance without him would not put him at risk.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just did dance recital this past week. People in the audience were required to be masked (okay, so , we all know how well people listen to that once the lights go off) and every other row in the auditorium was blocked off. Dancers (I was one of the dancers, so I know how it was actually being handled) were required to be masked until they were in the wings. (They had boards for masks right off the wings.) So, basically, I feel like a lot of it depends on what kind of precautions are in place, especially if there's not wide spread pediatric vaccination.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast