Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Venmo

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm very anti-tech.

In my opinion, you're the seller - it's your rules. Just make very clear in your ad that it's cash only, so no one is surprised.

I think the only way you can reverse payments on Venmo is repayment by recipient. I thought it was safer than PayPal for that reason.
    DS April 2010
    DS March 2016

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by c&j04 View Post
    I think the only way you can reverse payments on Venmo is repayment by recipient. I thought it was safer than PayPal for that reason.
    The payment account could be stolen / hacked. When that is discovered, the payment can be pulled back out of the recipient's account. Venmo will shrug and say, sorry, you shouldn't have accepted Venmo from a stranger.

Really, its probably fine, but with an expensive item to sell, and a buyer who is overly insistent about not wanting to get cash.... I'd be wary as a seller and just go to the next buyer.

https://www.thebalance.com/venmo-scams-315823

I have no issues using Venmo for ease among friends and low dollar activities. A complete stranger for an item I'm selling makes me take pause. Higher value item, I'd probably want cash.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I'm an old lady too but more and more people would like to pay using Venmo so that they don't have to get cash. I tried to set up an account and link to our bank account but it wouldn't let me because DH already has a Venmo account linked to our bank account! I'm soooo frustrated by this dumbness - does anyone know about being able to use Venmo when you and DH share a bank account?
    I had an account for over three years before I tied it to a bank account. I opened the account when a friend wanted to pay for Girl Scout cookies using Venmo. I limited its use to my "fun money" kind of things. So I was accepting and spending with a balance that ran from $20 to $200 so I just left it there for ease.

Then I did a larger purchase with many people reimbursing me and the balance was large enough I wanted it transferred to my checking account.

DH has also not had a need for a Venmo account yet. I assume when/if he does, I can seed the account with funds from my Venmo. It's an extra step for getting larger amounts into/out of checking, but if it happens rarely, no big deal.

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wouldn’t accept PayPal or Venmo from a stranger. I’d be too concerned about scams. Especially for a high dollar item.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2