bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Dang. Scheduling hotels for the summer NOW. How to find a good place?

I probably should have made reservations months ago but I guess I just wasn't sure how I'd feel about "travel" months ago! I just heard from my brother and we're trying to do a little family vacay in SD. This side of the family will all be vaccinated except for their 1yo and the rest are adults so we're going to try and get together in July. We haven't done a gathering for years and our family has grown a whole lot since then. I think some family members will stay at my Dad's house, but our family (by far the largest) will feel much more comfortable with our own place. But man...there isn't a whole lot out there right now. Would you reserve the best of the worst now and hope something opens up? Wait until the last minute? WWYD. We don't travel much.

Would love tips, websites for booking, etc. Not sure if I want to do AirBnB. I'm not opposed in theory but the offerings are so strange right now!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Trip Advisor forums will help you pick through what's available.
    If it is close enough and available, I would book Homewood Suites at Liberty Station.
    I would absolutely book something refundable now (yes, refundable costs more but it's a must) and keep checking if you have somewhere you really want to stay. Pickings are only reduce further. Book direct vs a 3rd party.
    There are a lot of Airbnb regulations in SD and some neighborhoods have banned it completely. Again, the Trip Advisor forums can help you navigate those hurdles. But for a family your size, it is likely the most practical solution.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Agree with booking a refundable reservation now. Do you have an area of town you want to be in?

My cousin wanted to do a family GTG in SD for a week in July in an AirBnB, and when she saw the prices and selection she decided on a different destination. Snuggle bunnies, I suggested the Homewood Suites to my cousin too but she really wanted a house. Liberty Station is such a fun spot to walk around. I think itÂ’s be a great spot for a family GTG. And the parking isnÂ’t hard to find like it is at the beach!

Is SD South Dakota or San Diego?

I would book something refundable now and then keep looking.
    We just stayed in a hotel and man I wasn't comfortable. But I have 3 kids that can't be vaccinated and my older two are not fully. But even I am just not ready for it. I was so much more comfy at the Airbnb places we rented. But hey one of them was on 3800 acres. Nobody but our family had masks on inside of the hotel.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My dad lives in SD and I’m pretty familiar with the area. I think I need to look up some hotels in areas I like and just book something! For sure refundable!

Yes, book something now and keep looking if it's not exactly what/where you want. People are itching to travel and accommodations are going fast!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Homewood Suites at Liberty Station is one of our favorites!