Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default What chores does your teenager do??

I need to make a chore list for my kids and step-kids. Usually I leave notes on
    the kitchen island for each of them.

I would like a set list of things they need to do so each kid knows what to do.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Empty dishwasher, take out trash, sort & put away laundry (I do the actual washing bc I am picky but teens could do it themselves), clean up after dinner, make meals, put away groceries. We have lawn care and housekeepers but they could do any of that work as well. Basically I think teens could do anything so decide what you hate doing to most and delegate away!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have someone that cuts our grass but no other paid services. No one has a set list of chores. I just have them do things that pop up. I'm just not that organized with housework. Mostly things don't bother me until they bother me then they need to be done asap. But here are some things they do:
    Water plants
    laundry
    vacuum
    take out the trash
    clean their bathroom
    clean baseboards
    put groceries away
    clean off the deck furniture

Summer chores are the bane of my kids' existence right now! We haven't resumed our pre-covid weekly housecleaning service and they are not happy about it. They did very little then but I'm now trying to look at it as teaching them life skills. Lots of the time it would be quicker and easier to just do the chore myself but I'm trying. Our schedules have finally slowed down enough that they are learning about more house duties. They do:

clean bathrooms
    strip their beds, wash sheets and remake beds
    dust and vacuum
    wipe woodwork, baseboards
    organize bookshelves
    put away clothes (I'm a control freak and do the laundry)
    use blower to blow off patio, driveway and walkways
    wipe down the kitchen cabinets and countertops
    collect garbage and take it out
    wipe down blinds
    windows (I assign it but they aren't always the best at it)
    empty dishwasher
    dishes
    set the table
    cook dinner (tacos, hello fresh meal etc. nothing too complicated)
    petcare (feed, walk, bathe)
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We have someone that cuts our grass but no other paid services. No one has a set list of chores. I just have them do things that pop up. I'm just not that organized with housework. Mostly things don't bother me until they bother me then they need to be done asap. But here are some things they do:
    Water plants
    laundry
    vacuum
    take out the trash
    clean their bathroom
    clean baseboards
    put groceries away
    clean off the deck furniture
    Yes to this almost exactly (except we have a patio and not a deck)…my kids are 15 and 11.

Dd2 has decided instead of taking the dog for walk in the evening that she will load or unload the dishwasher.

I would like our kids to make their own beds daily but that doesn’t always happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was inspired by the lists they have pinned up on the back of the Target bathroom doors where the employees initial the little boxes of what they've done. I created a clipboard like that. My oldest 2 cut the grass and weed whack but otherwise, all 4 of them are capable of any of the following chores. Before COVID hit, they were each responsible for 5- 6 of these tasks each week in addition to each of them cooking a well- balanced meal (including fresh vegetables. Seriously, they are smart enough with the help of youtube to cook anything short of expert, souffle-level dishes), unloading a part of the dishwasher each day, each of them scrubbing a toilet every week or 2 (we have 6 toilets in our house so everyone gets one to clean) and everyone helping sort, fold and hang laundry. Most of the time I give different kids different floors to mop or vacuum. COVID threw everything off balance but we are slowly getting back to normal.

Empty small trash cans and replace liners (these are mainly bathroom trashcans)
    Dust your bedroom furniture
    Scrub your bathroom sink and countertop
    mop your bathroom floor
    mop the laundry and mudroom floor
    Mop the kitchen
    mop basement
    dust stairway, floor trim, railings and spindles
    dust dining and kitchen table bases and chairs
    dust main floor and top floor window sills
    dust dust basement toy shelves
    dust main and top floor cabinets with duster wand
    wipe all bathroom countertops (except kids bathrooms)
    Vacuum each floor
    dust different rooms of the house
    scrub your shower and tub
    dust all baseboards in the house with a wand
    clean microwave
    use stainless steel wipes on dishwasher, fridges, and ovens
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 06-29-2021 at 11:05 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.