Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default WWYD: Family Gathering

I know, I know. There's been some of these posts before and I'm sure there will be more. Thanks in advance for reading.

We are having a bday party for a senior aged family member in a private room at a restaurant. About 20 people. Everyone is vaccinated, including the person of honor......except for a family of 5. Now some guests are uncomfortable with the unvaxed attending. (If it makes any difference, the 5 are not directly close to the birthday person but still family.)

What are your thoughts here? Ask them to mask and seat them at a separate table? Un-invite them (I don't think this would cause WW3, but it would be quite awkward)? Tell the vaccinated "don't worry, you're safe because you're vaxed?"

A happy occasion is getting sticky.....
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    I know, I know. There's been some of these posts before and I'm sure there will be more. Thanks in advance for reading.

We are having a bday party for a senior aged family member in a private room at a restaurant. About 20 people. Everyone is vaccinated, including the person of honor......except for a family of 5. Now some guests are uncomfortable with the unvaxed attending. (If it makes any difference, the 5 are not directly close to the birthday person but still family.)

What are your thoughts here? Ask them to mask and seat them at a separate table? Un-invite them (I don't think this would cause WW3, but it would be quite awkward)? Tell the vaccinated "don't worry, you're safe because you're vaxed?"

A happy occasion is getting sticky.....
    Quote the CDC? https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ferAct.pdf?v=1

I would probably seat them at their own table and make it so there are several tables, so they are not the only ones. Send a message to the whole group "Just wanted to let everyone know we are going follow the CDC guidelines for this event. Unvaccinated people should continue to wear masks indoors unless they are seated at their table eating."

If there are any windows in the room I would open them, weather permitting.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I would probably go with the seating at a separate table (assuming there are multiple tables in the room, not one big table for all guests) and ask them to mask when they aren't eating. Seems less awkward than uninviting them, and gives them the choice whether or not they are comfortable with doing that.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What does community transmission look like in your area/wherever the unvaccinated guests live? Do any of the vaxxed folks have high risk health conditions or conditions like immune issues that may make their vaccine less effective?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They are the ones at risk, not the vaccinated people. I wouldn't really care if they wore masks or were seated separately. I am rolling the dice to say that the vaccine leaves me well protected.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    They are the ones at risk, not the vaccinated people. I wouldn't really care if they wore masks or were seated separately. I am rolling the dice to say that the vaccine leaves me well protected.
    I think this is what the science says...no? Although it was overshadowed by the controversy about continuing to/stopping to mask, the news that the CDC presented about the transmission and infection rates for fully vaccinated people is SO amazing.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default WWYD: Family Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I think this is what the science says...no? Although it was overshadowed by the controversy about continuing to/stopping to mask, the news that the CDC presented about the transmission and infection rates for fully vaccinated people is SO amazing.
    I meant more compared to people on this board. There are a lot of posters that have way lower risk thresholds than me right now. (Eta- And can pull up stats that show the risk is still real.) I really don't think there is much of a risk at all but I know some are still very uncomfortable with anything indoors. I have actually not eaten at a restaurant in 15 months but I did go to an indoor party last weekend (and it was fantastic!).
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 06-11-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Right. Also, do you know if they are anti-mask? I actually know quite a few people who haven't gotten vaccinated and they still wear masks.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

What is the opinion of the senior aged honoree? And that of other attendees? Personally, I would be fine with separate tables but I think more consideration needs to be given to the seniors, who may not mount the same level of immune response.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is anyone vaccinated high risk? The person being honored? I personally feel like if you are an adult who doesn’t want the vax, I don’t really care about your risk anymore. I’d probably seat them at their own table. And insist they mask if anyone is high risk. Otherwise I feel good about the protection I have with the vaccine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast