Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would seat each family unit at a separate table so as not to make the unvaccinated people feel ostracized. Ask them to mask when not at the table. I would not uninvite them. That is plain rude.
    Last edited by jgenie; 06-11-2021 at 08:54 PM.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default WWYD: Family Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    They are the ones at risk, not the vaccinated people. I wouldn't really care if they wore masks or were seated separately. I am rolling the dice to say that the vaccine leaves me well protected.
    I agree with this. I wouldn’t dis invite them. I don’t think I would ask them to mask either unless the restaurant requires it. I am not one to cause drama though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I can't believe these posts. Can you even understand the discriminatory tone of this?

Sit in a corner masked? Do you even want them as family? Perhaps you can affix a nice button for them to wear to denote their status. Nice way to "other" people especially family.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wouldn’t treat them differently. That wouldn’t help anyone and would only embarrass them. They are the ones at risk of getting severely sick if anyone in the room has COVID19. If you want to be kind you can let them know that fact but I suspect they know what their odds are.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Though it's unlikely, it is still possible for a fully vaccinated person who has no known risk factors to get severely ill from covid (sorry but I have an MD friend who has seen it...more than once...). It is going to come down to what level of risk everyone is comfortable with. In general, yes, it's the unvaccinated who are at higher risk.

My first question is - any chance of moving this outdoors, weather permitting? That would definitely reduce risk overall. If that's not possible, then I think I would tee it up by just stating the facts. "For full disclosure, We will have a private room, and everyone will be vaccinated except for one family. We hope you can make it!" And then everyone will just have to go with their own personal risk tolerances. The key being that the guest of honor is OK with unvaccinated guests...

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    I can't believe these posts. Can you even understand the discriminatory tone of this?

Sit in a corner masked? Do you even want them as family? Perhaps you can affix a nice button for them to wear to denote their status. Nice way to "other" people especially family.
    I completely agree! I know there are people who don’t understand why people aren’t getting vaccinated but tbh I think you need to be cool with it just try and understand their reasons for not; or at least listen to their reasons. I have family members who aren’t vaccinated yet (and one isn’t sure he wants to) because they had COVID in January or February but we will still be seeing them at some point this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If I were the unvaccinated family in the room, I’d be wearing a mask. My concern is that they may feel uncomfortable doing that given no one else is? I would send out something saying ‘we encourage everyone to follow CDC guidelines etc’ and then call them up and say you are completely fine with them wearing masks even though no one else is and don’t get peer pressured into removing. Also I would tell them that you’re doing a separate table for them to make them more comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Though it's unlikely, it is still possible for a fully vaccinated person who has no known risk factors to get severely ill from covid (sorry but I have an MD friend who has seen it...more than once...).
    This is the concern. Person of honor is turning 80 and just had a stent put in recently due to heart blockage. Not sure how that impacts their risk factors.
    Last edited by pinkmomagain; 06-12-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    This is the concern. Person of honor is turning 80 and just had a stent put in recently to due heart blockage. Not sure how that impacts their risk factors.
    I think you (or someone, if there’s a better person) just needs to talk to the unvaccinated guests and simply say that the guest of honor is high risk and uncomfortable with unmasked, indoor dining if everyone isn’t vaccinated.
    I agree with the suggestion above of moving it outdoors. I think that’s a great alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    This is the concern. Person of honor is turning 80 and just had a stent put in recently due to heart blockage. Not sure how that impacts their risk factors.
    How does guest of honor feel about unvaccinated guests? I'm asking because (and I know this sounds morbid) my over-80 MIL, fully vaccinated, has gotten to a point in her life where she's like "whatever happens, happens and I am going to live life". She is careful and still masks indoors/washes hands/etc to protect others, and does not want to be a point of transmission to someone else (basically she doesn't want to get covid because she doesn't want to spread covid), but if she were to get sick with covid, she would be OK with whatever outcome lies ahead.

If guest of honor is uncomfortable with unvaccinated guests, then I agree you just have to tell the unvaccinated guests! If guest of honor is OK with it, then she's OK with it and you just want to make sure all the guests know that a few of the guests are not vaccinated, and let them decide whether or not to come.

It may also depend on this family and how much you know about them. If they're not vaccinated for specific reasons like Annie mentioned, then you would think they would understand and be willing to mitigate by wearing masks when near guest of honor. If they are just flat-out anti-vax, well...I don't know what I'd do, honestly, other than to tell them guest of honor wants all unvaccinated persons to wear masks, as she is very high-risk. Ugh, it IS sticky.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast