sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Ipe versus TimberTech/Azek versus ???

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding decking for our replacement pool deck? It gets a heavy sunload--very little shade all year. My husband seems to be leaning toward one material, and I am leaning toward the other. I was hoping to hear some experiences.

We're looking at the newest line from TimberTech/Azek. It's a PVC (versus the older composite) and allegedly does not get as hot in the sun. We also are looking at ipe. We are planning to use clips (invisible fasteners) instead of screws, so the issue of pre-drilling all those holes won't really apply. We will order the boards grooved.

ETA: Apparently it's not PVC but some other polymer.

PROS
    ipe-robust; low maintenance; natural look; somewhat fire resistant
    Azek-almost NO maintenance; long warranty; probably even more fire resistant; lower heat absorption than other composite products; more consistent color

CONS
    ipe-more expensive, especially to get the long boards we need and the grooves; requires staining to keep its look; cuts down trees
    Azek-may look fake; exposed edges do not look like wood (because they're not); may still get too hot

What else should we be considering? We back to an open space, and fire IS a concern here. If fire is close, we're toast no matter what. But I think about embers and such from a fire farther away, and I want a material most resistant to that. The deck is over a hillside, so a concrete or paver patio is not an option. We need something with a fairly significant understructure. The outer edge is at least 6 feet above grade.
    Last edited by sariana; 06-12-2021 at 01:39 PM.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

There are other Brazilian hardwoods that are incredibly strong not as much as IPE but offer great value like Cumaru or Massandaruba . That usually runs about the same price as your Azek/TT etc

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t know about those types but the other thing I would consider is how they can be cleaned. A friend with Trek was disappointed to find out she couldn’t power wash or clean with any type of cleaner without voiding the warranty.

We have pavers that stay cool but I don’t know how they compare price wise.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our back deck is Azek and it is great. We power wash it, but looks great, isn't too hot on feet. We are on year 8 of it. Looks new. I did IPE wood decking on the floor of our outdoor shower (below the deck). Same age and it is totally showing wear. Even with regular upkeep. I'm really glad I didn't do the decking in it.

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    There are other Brazilian hardwoods that are incredibly strong not as much as IPE but offer great value like Cumaru or Massandaruba . That usually runs about the same price as your Azek/TT etc
    Thanks for the suggestions! At this point we are choosing between the Azek and ipe based on prior conversations with our contractor and time constraints.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I don’t know about those types but the other thing I would consider is how they can be cleaned. A friend with Trek was disappointed to find out she couldn’t power wash or clean with any type of cleaner without voiding the warranty.

We have pavers that stay cool but I don’t know how they compare price wise.
    I think both types can be power washed, but we live in droughtville (CA) and won't be power washing regardless.

Pavers aren't an option because it is an elevated deck. Otherwise I would totally be leaning toward pavers.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    Our back deck is Azek and it is great. We power wash it, but looks great, isn't too hot on feet. We are on year 8 of it. Looks new. I did IPE wood decking on the floor of our outdoor shower (below the deck). Same age and it is totally showing wear. Even with regular upkeep. I'm really glad I didn't do the decking in it.
    Thank you! This is helpful information.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"