WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Invisalign or braces? Experience with carriere appliance v Herbst?

Third kid was given some new choices at the ortho this week. DD (15) and DS(13.5) both had herbst appliances and braces. They were big and bulky, and DS’ gums have been messsed up the whole treatment time, but there’s been no nagging, just frequent appointments due to breakage. Most of the breaks were attributed to basketball in the street and the neighbor kid who liked to push on my kid’s mouth.

DS (12) says he want to try the Carriere appliance and use Invisalign. What are your experiences with it? Am I going to have to do more work with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t know about Carriere but we chose not to do Invisalign for our tween because he would have lost them on day 1. I joked that he needed everything he needed to keep up with glued to his body like his braces were. You have to take them out while eating and then are supposed to brush your teeth before you put them back in. I just couldn’t see that happening at school or anytime we were out. I think Invisalign is great for adults or older teens who are more responsible.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Invisalign or braces? Experience with carriere appliance v Herbst?

Both of my girls have/had traditional braces. Dd1 wasn’t offered Invisalign but honestly I didn’t even ask about it. Her gums got super swollen with braces and it frustrated her a lot however she said she would’ve gotten annoyed with Invisalign, and at 11 I would’ve been concerned about her losing them. She has clear Invisalign like retainers and doesn’t care for them but she knows she has to wear them and is responsible enough to take care of them.

Dd2 has traditional braces as well (just tops for right now) and I wouldn’t give her the Invisalign option either. She gets the first phase of braces off in about 8 months and then will get a retainer. That makes me a tad nervous, but hopefully DD2 will understand to take care of them.

ETA: dd1 had her braces on continuously from May, 2017 through October, 2020. Dd2 will get phase 2 probably when she is 13 or 14. Honestly though I would probably prefer if it were just one long phase but Dd1 and DD2 have totally opposite issues (DD1 had an overbite, a tooth that came in backwards and had to be turned around, and overall a little too much space. Dd2 doesn’t have enough space and has two adult top canine teeth that are stuck in the top of her mouth as the baby teeth won’t come out and there isn’t enough space for the adult teeth. It is just a weird situation I didn’t know could happen.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-13-2021 at 12:24 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't have any experience, but I'm watching this as the ortho recently recommended Carriere as an option for my DD1. I think a lot of it will come down to the personality of your DS - The carriere seems appealing b/c it's so much less bulky - but if it's not worn appropriately (we were told that means 23 hours/day) it doesn't work, and treatment is going to take a lot longer. I'm a bit hesitant b/c I see my DD1 (who is only 9) not remembering to put it in after eating, coming home from school with a "oh! I put it in my desk at lunch and forgot about it, sorry, I'll have it again tomorrow!" type of things. I think she'd be willing to wear it and it's not like it would be a fight, but I do think it would be a constant "is your device in? are the bands on?" situation, and an option where I can be more hands off is appealing.
    Lizi

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My girls both did a hybrid treatment. DD1 has 1 set of top expanders, then traditional braces for 8 months, then 3 sets of a brand similar to invisiline, and now she just wears the trays at night. DD2 needed more upfront work with 2 sets of top and bottom expanders, traditional braces for about 10 months and she just moved to the invisiline. 2 weeks with them in all the time and now just at night. Our ortho said the hybrid approach is faster and there wasn’t much difference in price between this and if we had done all traditional.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

A 10 mo treatment sounds awesome. Each of ours has been 30 mos. we’ve already been doing visits to the ortho since 2016 amd this kid is just getting started.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think Carierre is what DS did for 6 months before switching (per plan) to traditional brackets. It worked well for him and seemed to do exactly what the orthodontist wanted it to do. We actually had DS's braces removed a bit early because we had to move, but he still wears his retainer 3 years later, and his teeth seem good.

DS has ASD and struggles with many things, but the Carierre was pretty uneventful for him. I think he liked that part much better than the time with traditional brackets. I don't have any experience with Invisalign.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    A 10 mo treatment sounds awesome. Each of ours has been 30 mos. we’ve already been doing visits to the ortho since 2016 amd this kid is just getting started.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

Posted in error!
    Last edited by roobee; 06-13-2021 at 12:48 AM.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post

Holy smokes, that’s a long time to wear an appliance!!
    K