Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default DS1 outfit for graduation

DS1's graduation is next Thursday and the weather is supposed to be in the high 90s that day! They just secured a large tent for shade, but the graduation ceremony is estimated to be 2.5 hours long outside. It starts at 4pm (with arrival at 3pm) so will still be super hot at that point. DS has a suit that he just wore to prom last week that we planned to have him wear for the graduation, but we're thinking it's too hot for that now. Can anyone suggest any specific outfits, with links, since DS basically lives in cargo shorts and tees year round. He hates wearing pants because they "constrict his thighs" and he's very muscular with broad shoulders. We have a mall walking distance to our house with Macy's, H&M, Express, and Gap so perhaps something from those stores? The only pants he's managed to wear when we did our college trip a few months ago were a pair of Levi's that are "athletic cut" with more room in the thighs!

Oh, and his school doesn't do cap and gowns, so his outfit will be on full display in all pics.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have you thumbed back through social media to see what other kids wore in past graduations on really hot days? Maybe and outfit will catch your eyes? I would have no problem with dressier shorts and a short sleeve button down (with or without tie). get a fun belt too. Loafers or Sperrys should work.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    DS1's graduation is next Thursday and the weather is supposed to be in the high 90s that day! They just secured a large tent for shade, but the graduation ceremony is estimated to be 2.5 hours long outside. It starts at 4pm (with arrival at 3pm) so will still be super hot at that point. DS has a suit that he just wore to prom last week that we planned to have him wear for the graduation, but we're thinking it's too hot for that now. Can anyone suggest any specific outfits, with links, since DS basically lives in cargo shorts and tees year round. He hates wearing pants because they "constrict his thighs" and he's very muscular with broad shoulders. We have a mall walking distance to our house with Macy's, H&M, Express, and Gap so perhaps something from those stores? The only pants he's managed to wear when we did our college trip a few months ago were a pair of Levi's that are "athletic cut" with more room in the thighs!

Oh, and his school doesn't do cap and gowns, so his outfit will be on full display in all pics.

Sounds miserable!! I would too check if shorts are ok. I mean, seriously, that's HOT. The girls will surely be in short dresses, the boys should be able to have bare legs too.

Kohl's or the like should have a variety of shorts or pants to look at. My son got some plain black pants for work that are actually golf pants (Dockers brand). They are SUPER lightweight and stretchy, but look nice. All sorts of fit - athletic, slim, etc. He's inside and outside all day long, so lightweight was a must in the summer.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

NOT a serious suggestion but this is a good reminder of why men in the South wore seersucker suits for many years!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If he can wear shorts, buy a nice plain straight fit short. Get a lightweight long sleeve dress shirt that can have the sleeves rolled or a stylish short sleeve. Some nice shoes that can be worn without socks.

My boys love these shorts. They have to wear this style for school dress code and they don’t wrinkle during the day. They are one of the only brands that fit my16 year old’s monster hockey thighs.
    https://shop.lululemon.com/p/men-sho...17?color=43731

There are a lot of great short sleeve dress shorts for men now. I used to hate them but a lot of them look great now. JCrew has a ton, as an example. https://www.jcrew.com/c/mens_category/shirts
    Last edited by smilequeen; 06-12-2021 at 01:21 PM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

PunkyBoo is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree with shorts and a shirt sleeve button down collared shirt. I also agree with PP who recommended golf pants- my DH plays golf and his golf shorts are REALLY nice looking/dressy shorts in sort of hybrid/stay cool fabric. Also, I was at Nordstrom Rack a couple weeks ago and they have tons of short sleeve dressy shirts for men, in colors, prints, to suit any occasion.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Golf wear in general has a very neat-and-tidy look to it because of most clubs' dress codes. For example, my FIL and BIL are avid players & wore a lot of IZOD for several years in the early aughts. BIL has a more athletic build after playing soccer for many years, so his legs are probably similar to your DS's, OP.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    NOT a serious suggestion but this is a good reminder of why men in the South wore seersucker suits for many years!
    I love seersucker suits!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! I'll probably just drag him to the mall on Monday, a place he hates! No Nordstrom at the mall next to our house but they do have Jcrew and Lululemon. And I just remembered that he has 1 pair of gray dress shorts that he's never worn so maybe I'll have him wear those to the mall and just find a shirt that goes best.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Your DS sounds like he is built like mine. I would pick a shirt like this https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0948932001.html and pair it with these shorts https://www.samsclub.com/p/denali-me...=plp_product_5 and a pair of Sperry’s. They shorts look dressy but are stretchy, comfortable, and fit large athletic thighs.
    K

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast