Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Safest plastic or other “unbreakable” dishes?

My oldest has a coordination disorder and also struggles with hand strength. As a result she drops things a lot. Recently this has meant an increased number of broken plates, bowls, and glasses as she prepares and eats food.

Her “clumsiness” is a source of embarrassment and shame for her. I’d like to make it easier for her to drop dishes with less damage, but also keep an eye on food safety/health. I’ve historically avoided plastic because of concern about leaching chemicals, but it may be time to reconsider or explore “safer” options.

Can you recommend reusable dishes/drink ware that are safe for hot and cold foods and unlikely to break when dropped? Plastic or other durable materials perhaps. She’s 18 so I’m trying to avoid anything too juvenile in appearance.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Mama to my three:
    DD 2/2003
    DD 5/2006
    DS 3/2010

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It;s a good time of year to find lots of melamine dinnerware since it's good for outdoor gatherings. Don't microwave on it but it's an ok option, from what I have read.
    I have also bought Preserve brand dishware at Whole Foods and our local natural food co-op. Again, no microwave but dishwasher safe. The melamine will come in lots more interesting colors and patterns but if you are ok with a solid color.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Have you looked into stainless steel plates?

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was going to suggest stainless as well. Not microwaveable but I think the best alternative if you want to avoid chemicals from plastics and melamine. I got mine in India where they are super cheap but it you have an Indian grocery store in your area I would check there.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I second the melamine. I have bought some fun prints for outdoor use mainly during the summers. Our Kroger carries them in the seasonal section. You can hand wash them quickly instead of the dishwasher high heat if you are concerned about chemicals. They have a couple of white options, a couple botanical prints, a navy pattern, etc.
    K

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bought a cute bamboo bowl at HomeGoods so it might be at TJM/Marshall’s as well. I am actually going back to look for some more today because the bowl is a great size for ramen soup and big bowls of loaded oatmeal, etc. They had plates as well. Here’s a photo next to a Sbux mug for scale…in bowl: 1/2c oats, 1/2c oat milk, 2.75oz blueberries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SASM; 06-13-2021 at 09:07 AM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

I had thought of bamboo too but it fared about as well or worse than melamine. It seemed that how it was processed mattered. Most aren't dishwasher or microwave safe. I thought it was going to be the perfect solution so was bummed when I started some quick research.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I had thought of bamboo too but it fared about as well or worse than melamine. It seemed that how it was processed mattered. Most aren't dishwasher or microwave safe. I thought it was going to be the perfect solution so was bummed when I started some quick research.
    Ours has gone through the dishwasher at least 5 times without issue. I am sure DD2 has put it in the microwave. My bowl is already slightly misshapen (by design) and hasn’t changed shape.

Corrie, have you tried Corelle? I thought that was supposed to be non-breakable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SASM; 06-13-2021 at 09:16 AM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

I’m not sure you’d really notice any problems with how it looks. It’s about how when it gets heated it leaches chemicals. I’d be happy to read something about the safety since I really only went through the first 2 pages on google results to get my info. No telling how accurate it was.
    When Corelle breaks, it shatters. Not a nice clean break like porcelain.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Hi everyone, thank you for the replies so far, although I just realized that I posted this in bargains rather than in the lounge as I had intended (oops). I'm going to re-post it there unless it can be moved....
    Mama to my three:
    DD 2/2003
    DD 5/2006
    DS 3/2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast