MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Another covid WWYD?

Up until now all 4H meetings have required masks. Our state lifted masking mandate on June 2, but highly suggests masks for non-vaccinated. I assumed since we had received no notification that masks would still be required. Just dropped the kids off and there were only 3 other kids masked. They are in a small room with a lot of kids. I felt ok before because they were all masked, I am not ok with it now. My kids have their KF94s on. DS1 is almost fully vaxed (Thurs is his 2 weeks post fax) and DS2 just got his trial shot on Friday but no idea if it was the placebo nor would it be effective. Our county is only 33% fully vaccinated, so I’m sure the vast majority of those kids are not. Would you continue to send them?

ETA: It’s inside a church. I have no idea why they don’t do it outside. I’d be perfectly fine with that.
    Last edited by MSWR0319; 06-13-2021 at 07:05 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Is it outside? If so, yes.
    If it’s inside, I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No, I would not send them if it is inside. Outside, I’d probably be okay.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nope, that would be a hard no for us.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If one of your sons is a few days away from being fully vaxxed and you are certain they will keep their masks on, then you really need to only worry about the one son who might have received a placebo. The next question I would ask is how long is the meeting? If under 45 minutes, I would send them masked. If more than an hour, I’d ask ask about opening a window or propping a door open and I’d ask my kids to stand near it.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh, I wouldn't be OK with that either. Unfortunately things just keep getting more and more difficult for unvaccinated kids and for the (minority of the??) population who are trying to keep their unvaccinated children as safe as possible.

Just looking around here, it just doesn't seem like a worry anymore...most people are letting their unvaccinated kids hang out indoors unmasked with other unvaccinated kids...it's a completely normal summer for their purposes. And with everything else around us going back to normal, it's as if no one cares about the people who want to lower the risk that their children will catch/transmit the virus. I have an MD friend who went out shopping with her vaccinated kids, masked, and they were smirked at by others. They're Asian so that's a double whammy. I'm so, so sad about things like this.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, I’d be that parent asking the leadership of the meetings could be moved outside. Outside I’m fine with, inside not wild about.
    How often do they meet?
    K

These are hard situations right now. We got comfortable with a certain set-up and the CDC/states went and changed it on us before kids can be vaccinated. How long is the meeting? And how important is the activity to your kids? How good is the seal on their masks? If it's truly important to them, I would ask leadership if outside meetings are possible but even then, I'd probably try to make it work.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Ugh, I wouldn't be OK with that either. Unfortunately things just keep getting more and more difficult for unvaccinated kids and for the (minority of the??) population who are trying to keep their unvaccinated children as safe as possible.

Just looking around here, it just doesn't seem like a worry anymore...most people are letting their unvaccinated kids hang out indoors unmasked with other unvaccinated kids...it's a completely normal summer for their purposes. And with everything else around us going back to normal, it's as if no one cares about the people who want to lower the risk that their children will catch/transmit the virus. I have an MD friend who went out shopping with her vaccinated kids, masked, and they were smirked at by others. They're Asian so that's a double whammy. I'm so, so sad about things like this.
    We are the only people I know not allowing unvaccinated kids to play together indoors. No one cares here. I'm just frustrated because I feel like because I'm trying to protect my kids, they are being punished. One of the four H's stands for health, why aren't we trying to protect these kids who can't protect themselves right now. DS1 isn't even comfortable going to the next meeting even though he'll be fully vaccinated at that time. And I'm not going to force him out of his comfort zone. He needs to do what's good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    These are hard situations right now. We got comfortable with a certain set-up and the CDC/states went and changed it on us before kids can be vaccinated. How long is the meeting? And how important is the activity to your kids? How good is the seal on their masks? If it's truly important to them, I would ask leadership if outside meetings are possible but even then, I'd probably try to make it work.
    They are ok missing it. I'm going to have to call the advisors though because their club requires 6 meetings to go to project judging. They've been to 5. They missed one meeting when cases were really high, and I didn't trust that kids were masking properly. I believe the state only requires 4 meetings which they have met. They shouldn't have to miss judging because they are being put in an environment that we don't feel is a good choice right now. I was looking at the risk chart someone posted on another post, and it says that indoor activities are a high risk (duh!) even at 60% vaccinated and 10 cases per 100,000. We're at 33% vaccinated and 49 cases per 100,000. Why can't people just play this safe a bit longer??