Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Summer School Tough Talk/Pep Talk?

DS1 dropped Math Analysis in Fall last year. He had 4 AP classes and was only sleeping 6 hours a night. His counselor suggested dropping the class and taking a summer school class through the CC instead. She also suggested he just keep a free period. I think in the short term it was maybe the right choice? Though I'm not sure. It has left us in a bit of a quandary! I tried to convince him to drop some of the AP/H classes instead but he said he really wanted to keep them. Just last week he admitted that he kept the classes because he felt like that's what I wanted him to do. (It is complicated. I HAVE encouraged him to take the higher level classes but I also truly don't mind if that's not his thing! He is a MAJOR people pleaser.)

So basically he had one fewer class last year and he NEEDS the credits from this summer school class to graduate from high school as a result. On top of that, I actually think that this CC class is probably EASIER than the H level Math Analysis class in school which the counselor admits has "ruined" the GPA of many high level students. So taking this this summer not only makes it possible for him to graduate but it also is better for his high school career, if that makes sense.

But poor DS1 is SO burned out. Class starts today. Part of me wants to just let him have the summer off. But since this affects HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION I feel like this just isn't an option!

Please someone tell me that I'm not crazy to make him take this class? It is 8 weeks long, 3.25 hours of zoom a day, 4 days a week. Happy summer??

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It’s really 3+ hours/day, 4 days/week for 8 weeks? Ds1 is taking a 2nd level calc class through community college this summer to free up some space on his schedule in the fall (its a requirement) and its asynchronous. He’s been working a lot but he has taken zero college classes that meet as often as you say. Classes are 3 hours/ week for a 3 credit class. But, I guess this is different because it’s for high school?
    Was there a better option? I know you wanted synchronous but this is a really over the top amount of time to do for one class.
    But, if that’s the only choice then there you go. Don’t feel bad and just tell him to get cracking. He will be fine. It’s like a job. Plenty of kids work far more hours than that at his age.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

That's exactly what I needed to hear!

I hope it isn't that many hours. I'm hoping it is an hour or two max with an open zoom advisement if kids need help with the homework? First class starts in about 2 hours so we'll see!

That class seems twice as long as it should be. Most college classes (3 credits) are 3 hours a week for 15 weeks. With the numbers you have given us, that’s twice the hours.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    That class seems twice as long as it should be. Most college classes (3 credits) are 3 hours a week for 15 weeks. With the numbers you have given us, that’s twice the hours.
    It’s a 5 credit class so that’s probably why!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would plan something really fun to do after the class is finished; give something great to look forward to!

Also, is it a morning class? Try to make sure to give some down time between school and other responsibilities.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    It’s a 5 credit class so that’s probably why!
    Still, that should be 5 hours/ week- 10 though since abbreviated to an 8 week session. So, getting closer to your posted time but a bit more than there should be.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Still, that should be 5 hours/ week- 10 though since abbreviated to an 8 week session. So, getting closer to your posted time but a bit more than there should be.

Oh that makes sense. It’s exactly 10 hours per week. He has breaks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I would plan something really fun to do after the class is finished; give something great to look forward to!

Also, is it a morning class? Try to make sure to give some down time between school and other responsibilities.
    This is good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Oh that makes sense. It’s exactly 10 hours per week. He has breaks too.
    Oh no it’s not! It’s 13 hours. Gah. I need math class, lol!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast